Not sure about 1; Jackie Robinson, maybe? don't know the otherThis year, there has been a plethora of rookies that have established themselves as good Major League ball players. This has been one of the better Rookie of the Year races (NL mainly) in a long time. I wanted to get you guys' opinions on who you think should win rookie of the year in each league.
Here are some candidates:
- C Buster Posey (.330 BA, 10 HR, 52 RBI, .872 OPS)
- 1B Ike Davis (.248 BA, 15 HR, 57 RBI)
- RHP Jonny Venters (68.1 IP, 1.71 ERA, 18 holds)
- SS Starlin Castro (.315 BA, .358 OBP, .796 OPS)
- RF Jason Heyward (.277 BA, 16 HR, 64 RBI, .862 OPS)
- OF Tyler Colvin (.255 BA, 19 HR, 49 RBI)
- SP Jaime Garcia (12-6, 2.33 ERA, 118 SO)
- SS Ian Desmond (.276 BA, 9 HR, 54 RBI)
- 1B Gaby Sanchez (.285, 16 HR, 70 RBI)
- RF Mike Stanton (.239, 14 HR, 39 RBI)
(My vote would have to go to Buster Posey, with Jason Heyward coming in a close second.)
- OF Austin Jackson (.304 BA, .357 OBP, .763 OPS)
- CP Neftali Feliz (3.32 ERA, 33 Saves)
- RF Brennan Boesch (.269 BA, 14 HR, 61 RBI)
(Obviously, the list isn't nearly as long as the NL's legitimate contenders but my vote would have to be Jackson, he has been playing some gold glove defense to go along with being a .300 hitter at the top of the order.)
1) The first two rookie of the year awards were combined between the leagues, who were the winners?
2) Name the 2 players that were named both ROY and MVP in the same year.
2 is Fred Lynn and Ichiro.