Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Don't Philadelphites all go to Jersey to get away from Philly?

Just ask anyone from the rest of Pennsylvania if Philly is part of the state.

People that boo Santa Claus don't belong in a state founded by William Penn

They even tore down the Rocky statue for goodness sake (I know - it still around there somewhere - or is it back in the moving van?)

Since somone mentioned G, maybe we have to make a clearer distinction, because I would consider G "Jersey"

How about the southern half of Philly is Jersey?
    They also booed Mike Schmidt.

What's their excuse for that one?

(disclaimer: I grew up in southern NJ, about 15 mile from center city Philadelphia so all this stuff is really funnier than Hades to read)

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    If we count Ro, I think we have to count Dahntay as well.
    Heck, may as well include Luol who was at prep school in NJ.

And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute...

"And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute."

Perhaps Bradley was from the Jersey side of Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "And Bill Bradley, too. Oh, wait a minute."

Perhaps Bradley was from the Jersey side of Missouri.
    Obtuse reference that he almost went to Duke but went to a small private school in central NJ that is almost part of Philadelphia.

Oh, never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    (disclaimer: I grew up in southern NJ, about 15 mile from center city Philadelphia so all this stuff is really funnier than Hades to read)
    Maybe you can answer an important question. If we were to lump Philly in with Jersey for the purposes of our "pipeline," would Jersey object?

Maybe you can answer an important question. If we were to lump Philly in with Jersey for the purposes of our "pipeline," would Jersey object?
    Probably, as we have enough problems/negative reputation points of our own with being the "armpit of the nation", the supposed final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa, home of the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway and so forth. Although Gene Banks and "The Shot" might provide us a boost. But, then again, I haven't lived in that area for over 30 years so I don't know the prevailing feeling at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Probably, as we have enough problems/negative reputation points of our own with being the "armpit of the nation", the supposed final resting place of Jimmy Hoffa, home of the NJ Turnpike and GS Parkway and so forth. Although Gene Banks and "The Shot" might provide us a boost. But, then again, I haven't lived in that area for over 30 years so I don't know the prevailing feeling at this time.
    Hey, hey, hey!

Don't even THINK about robbing DEEtroit of one its few claims to fame!

Everyone knows that Hoffa was last seen in a restaurant in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it is commonly known here in Detroit that Jimmy is safely ensconced in a pillar supporting the I-696 overpass of I-75.

I don't see why Jersyites have low esteem, just because of a bunch of garbage dumps, Philly has many more lawyers (Jersey got first pick).

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Hey, hey, hey!

Everyone knows that Hoffa was last seen in a restaurant in Detroit's northern suburbs, and it is commonly known here in Detroit that Jimmy is safely ensconced in a pillar supporting the I-696 overpass of I-75.

I don't see why Jersyites have low esteem, just because of a bunch of garbage dumps, Philly has many more lawyers (Jersey got first pick).
    Not sure why anyone from Detroit, of all places, would be in this skirmish.

Hey, hey, hey!

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Not sure why anyone from Detroit, of all places, would be in this skirmish.
    I thought at one time I read that BD80 hailed from western Pa originally, but lives in Deeee-tritus, err, Detroit now and the folks from that part of the state, talking funny as they do, still like to ridicule the phine pholks oph Philadelphia whenever the opportunities present themselves.

But, back to Mr. Gilchrist now.
    Last edited by devildeac; 08-30-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: trying to steer back on topic

How about the southern half of Philly is Jersey?
    Is the southern half of Jersey considered Jersey? It's too nice!

The nothern half might as well be considered part of Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    Is the southern half of Jersey considered Jersey? It's too nice!

The nothern half might as well be considered part of Mordor.
    The prettiest part of Jersey is the northwest - up around Mountain Lakes.

Talking Southern Tip of NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The prettiest part of Jersey is the northwest - up around Mountain Lakes.
    The southern tip of NJ at Cape May is the site of a spectacular hawk and songbird migration from late August to early November, and over the 30 years I have been attending, the town has been almost totally restored to its Victorian splendor.

Stone Harbor and Brigantine ain't bad, although it is somewhat incongruous to watch birds at the latter with the Atlantic City buildings as a backdrop.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The southern tip of NJ at Cape May is the site of a spectacular hawk and songbird migration from late August to early November, and over the 30 years I have been attending, the town has been almost totally restored to its Victorian splendor.

Stone Harbor and Brigantine ain't bad, although it is somewhat incongruous to watch birds at the latter with the Atlantic City buildings as a backdrop.

sagegrouse
    I spent many summers at my place at Stone Harbor and it, as well as Cape May are very nice. They are on barrier islands and have that beauty. NW Jersey has the beauty of the Appalachians.

Ya'll got something to say about North Jersey? Come to Bergen County to tell me about it, but bring eyes on the back of your head, ya dig? (I live five minutes from the Bada Bing)

In all seriousness, everything said about the nice parts of NJ is pretty much on the money. Go west enough on Route 46 and you leave the seedy massage parlors and hourly motels behind in favor of mountain ranges. Take the Parkway down south and you'll hit a string of beaches that stack up pretty nicely.

But if you want some high level high school basketball, you seriously might want to try venturing into the ninth circle of Hell up here in North Jersey. This past decade, I've had the pleasure of watching Blair Academy (Deng/Villanueva), St. Benedict's (J.R. Smith, Lance Thomas, M. Kabongo, A. Galindo, Samardo Samuels), St. Anthony's (I mean, you name it), St. Patrick (Kyrie, Gilchrist, D. Caracter, Mike Nardi), Bergen Catholic (Sean Banks, Adrian Joseph). Especially considering Philadelphia is one of the more wretched big cities in America, I would contend North Jersey prep basketball easily stands on its own track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Especially considering Philadelphia is one of the more wretched big cities in America...
    Someone from North Jersey is calling Philadelphia "wretched"? Puhleeease.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Someone from North Jersey is calling Philadelphia "wretched"? Puhleeease.
    I know, but deplorable seemed a bit strong. Regardless, I will admit that Citizens Bank Park is very nice -- even coming from a Mets fan -- and I'm a fan of the music of Jedi Mind Tricks.

My two cents, the several times I saw Gilchrist this year, it was obvious he was very talented, but he wouldn't take over games, something you'd expect a consensus No. 1 to do. Like, I never got the feeling I got when I watched Dwight Howard. He was also quite soft spoken and didn't seem to have a dominant personality. I wonder if he actually was having second thoughts about going so far from home -- especially with Kentucky picking up recruits left and right, including the new No. 1 in his class, to where MG might be feeling lost in the shuffle a bit, considering his early commit.