Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    BTW, attached is a transcript of Nick Saban's recent press conference in which, amongst other things, he talks about Duke's offense, Coach Cut, our defense, and even reading Coach K's book. This is courtesy of RollTide.com, which I recommend for anyone (such as myself) who likes or respects Alabama Football and Coach Saban.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...091310aaa.html

He is very complimentary of K and Cut, and also explains what he is looking for in the upcoming game. My understanding of Saban, from folks on the inside, is that he works 7/24/365.25 and doesn't understands why you don't. I will admit to being a big fan, although it would be nice to disappoint him this weekend.
    I have a healthy dislike for Nick Saban.

As a Miami Dolphins fan, he flat out ditched the team his second year while repeatedly telling the team/fans that he had no interest in the Bama job. I think it took him less than a week after the season ended to perform that 180 degree flip to return to the college game. It took him a full 2 years to come around and apologize to the the Dolphins organization. Yup, 2 years.

And for anybody who watched the title game last year, I think Saban showed absolutely no class in pursuing another score with a minute and a half left in the game up 10. There was no way texas could've mounted any threat at that point. I guess he didn't want those doubters out there speculating what could've (would've) happened if Colt had not of gone down. One thing I will always remember from that game was Colt interviewed afterwards. What a class-act. Not a longhorn fan here by any stretch, but I really hope Colt gets a starting QB chance in the near future. Would absolutely love to see him succeed.

Oh Nick Saban, how much I would love for my Devils to beat you.
    Last edited by DevilHorns; 09-13-2010 at 11:36 PM.

I just bought my tickets for Saturday's game (there are some decent deals to be had on ebay, by the way--mine were about $10 apiece under face value). Very excited to be back in Durham and to hope for a miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The only way that would compare is that this one is at home and that one was on the road. But Alabama 2010 is a MUCH better team than Stanford 1971 -- Alabama will come to Wade as No. 1 ... Stanford was No. 10 that day in Palo Alto -- a 9-3 win when Ernie Jackson returned a Don Bunce interception for a touchdown.

For the record, it would be the biggest upset in Duke history in the sense that Duke has NEVER beaten a team ranked No. 1.

Right now, the two biggest wins in Duke history (in terms of rankings) were over No. 4 Pitt in 1938 (the famous Eric Tipton game) and over No. 4 Navy in 1960 (when Duke shut down Joe Bellino in his Heisman year).

Duke has just one top 10 win since that Stanford victory in '71 -- a 1989 upset of No. 7 Clemson (Spurrier's million-to-one game). We haven't beaten a ranked team, since Duke beat No. 13 Virginia in Goldsmith's first year (1994).

If it happens -- and as I posted earlier, I can't imagine that it will -- a Duke victory over Alabama would clearly and easily be the greatest upset in Duke football history.

True but the story of that game was not Stanford's ranking but rather the adversity Duke faced leading up to the game which included replacing both the starting tallback and the starting QB. I think there was a thread on this topic a year or so ago but Duke was without the services of Steve Jones and was forced to play several guys, Jackson, Rich Searl (QB and free safety) and one or two others on both sides of the ball conjuring up memories of Duke 38 and single platoon football. The David vs Goliath angle seemed to dominate coverage of the game. While it was the 38 team that gave birth to the Iron Duke moniker it was the strong defensive teams of the early 70s that rekindled popular usage of the term which proved to be a marketable brand for the recently formed athletic fundraising organization. While I agree that an upset over Bama would be Duke's greatest moment on the field, of the 71 Stanford victory it can be fairly stated that it generated a lot momentum for fundraising when the athletic budget needed it badly.

Check out this very in depth statistical breakdown to date by Bob Green - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/09/t...on-statistics/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good article / interview up on WRAL.com.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8287881/

Cutcliffe is preparing the team to win, not just to show up and play hard. I know a lot of us fans are fearing the worst, but Coach Cut is not allowing his players to have the same thoughts.
    When asked if there is a scenario where he would be pleased with his team without victory he quickly responded, "I don't like to lose."
    I love his attitude and truly think he has this team believing they can get it done. I think a large key to the game will be how well we play the first half. I think he has the depth now to stay with anyone for four quarters, unlike the past when we were really only good for 3 if the game was a cat and mouse event. If we are remotely close at halftime, the confidence those guys go into the locker room with will be huge. The reverse can be true if we go down by a significant score...they may come back out of the tunnel mentally beat. At least when they come out on the field for kickoff, they will have a winner's attitude. GO DUKE!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tickets at popular online auctions site are going cheap.

Looks like some folks are going to get an unbelievable deal.

Wallace Wade

Most know of the Alabama/ Duke connection through Wallace Wade. While Wade was an icon to Duke in the 30's, 40's and 50's (not unlike Coach K for the past 3 decades), he was clearly overshadowed by Bear Bryant in Alabama. However, he was able to win national championships at Alabama where they idolize their football coaches (who win) and reward them with statues , street names (Wade has both at 'Bama) and attention.

For those interested in knowing more about Wallace Wade, I recommend the book of the same name by Lewis Bowling. While Lewis is a Durham resident and Blue Devil fan (he writes for GoDuke) he has received intense interest in Alabama where he is speaking to many 'Bama touchdown clubs this week and is featured in many of the newspapers there.

He has stopped by Blue Devil Alley in the past and discussed this topic before. The Duke bookstore and Amazon carry the book. Great for historical perspective, particularly this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    Most know of the Alabama/ Duke connection through Wallace Wade. While Wade was an icon to Duke in the 30's, 40's and 50's (not unlike Coach K for the past 3 decades), he was clearly overshadowed by Bear Bryant in Alabama. However, he was able to win national championships at Alabama where they idolize their football coaches (who win) and reward them with statues , street names (Wade has both at 'Bama) and attention.

For those interested in knowing more about Wallace Wade, I recommend the book of the same name by Lewis Bowling. While Lewis is a Durham resident and Blue Devil fan (he writes for GoDuke) he has received intense interest in Alabama where he is speaking to many 'Bama touchdown clubs this week and is featured in many of the newspapers there.

He has stopped by Blue Devil Alley in the past and discussed this topic before. The Duke bookstore and Amazon carry the book. Great for historical perspective, particularly this week!
    I second this recommendation. You'll have new respect for Duke's football tradition when you finish it.

Lewis's book about Wallace Wade is in the second edition which now features forewords by Al Beuhler and David Cutcliffe. If you love football, you'll appreciate the detailed accounts of many games. It's an eye opener how many things successful coaches do today that were started or developed by Wallace Wade. You may also be surprised by the who's who in the Wallace Wade coaching tree.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Long long ago, when I was a kid, my dad took me out to Wallace Wade's farm to meet and talk with him. (Not me, my dad). I wish I remembered it. It's a great story; unfortunately my dad won't be there for the game. He will be there for others though, so be sure to stop by our tent and ask him about it. He actually went to talk to Coach Wade about Duke basketball and our coaching situation (it was McGeachy that year). Duke AD Carl James wouldn't even talk to McGeachy about whether he would be the coach the following year, so my dad went to talk to Wade about how the two could get on the same page.
    Anyways...it's a tale my dad has to tell. I wish I remembered meeting WW. It fascinates me that our two schools are tied together by one coach, who had such success at both.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not to be pessimistic... but to be a bit realistic... what would be a "victory" for us this week?

If we cover the spread (22 or 23 points)?
    If we "only" lost by 2 TDs? What about less than 10 points?
    If the game was still at least mildly in doubt at halftime, say less than 7 points?

I'd love for it to be at least a little bit of a game coming into the 4th quarter -- like if we were down 10 or so with the ball in our hands. It would be really cool if we scored in the 3rd or 4th quarter and made it a less than 1 TD game. Get some folks at ESPN and elsewhere to pay attention to the game and maybe show a Duke play or two in their highlights later that evening.

That would be a "win" if you ask me.

--Jason "is this too pessimistic? Should we be talking like we have a chance to win?" Evans
    Ahhh, moral victories. Gotta love em.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    Ahhh, moral victories. Gotta love em.
    Agreed. Victory means that we win the game. Absent that, we can only hope that the players grow from the experience and raise their level of play going forward.

There is a difference between what effort will make me proud, and what I would consider a "victory." I will be proud if we execute to the best of our abilities, and I will be happy if we do not have serious injury. But it's either a win or a loss. If we drop to 1-2, we have to get back to work to win at least 5 more games on the schedule. If we win, we tear down the goalposts.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

My biggest concern here is our O-line's ability to protect Renfree. He took some big shots against Wake that had me holding my breath. He showed great toughness by coming back in the game and throwing a TD on that same drive, but he's only human, he can't take those kind of hits from Bama for 4 quarters. I hope we have a good showing against Bama as Jason Evans mentioned, but I'm more concerned with the rest of our ACC season.

If we have it relatively close enough to get a Duke highlight on ESPN during the in-game highlight reels, I'm happy. But I'm really concerned that Bama will be able to tee off on Renfree.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    My biggest concern here is our O-line's ability to protect Renfree. He took some big shots against Wake that had me holding my breath.
    Our offensive line is a strength this season especially in regard to pass protection. As far as the hits taken in the Wake game, quarterbacks get hit and have to be able to take it. That's part of football. Renfree is a trooper and I'm confident the OL will give him time to throw the ball.

What concerns me is running the ball. We will have to run the ball against Alabama to ensure they don't pin their ears back and come all out at Renfree every play. The good news is we ran the ball for 129 yards against Wake Forest who has a higher ranked run defense (36) than Alabama (46).

If we can establish a running game, it will set Renfree and our outstanding receivers up for success. Desmond Scott needs to have a successful afternoon for Duke to have a shot at beating Alabama. I know that is easier said than done but we have to be confident. Or, more accurately stated, the team has to be confident.
    Bob Green

Ingram to Play on Saturday

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/0...am-ready-duke/

Not that I ever doubted it, but Alabama Coach Nick Saban indicates Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is "ready to go" after missing the Tide's first games, due to surgery on his left knee.

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/0...am-ready-duke/

Not that I ever doubted it, but Alabama Coach Nick Saban indicates Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram is "ready to go" after missing the Tide's first games, due to surgery on his left knee.
    This development has pretty much been expected. He's done well in rehab, but the first game after such a procedure presents come unknowns. No matter what, Coach Saban will want to protect Mark so that he can play as well as possible against Texas next weekend.

Sightings

Any sightings of the Tide's fans rolling in?

The RV lots for Alabama fans open at noon tomorrow. They are known to push the stated limits for such matters as when to arrive and where to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Our offensive line is a strength this season especially in regard to pass protection. As far as the hits taken in the Wake game, quarterbacks get hit and have to be able to take it. That's part of football. Renfree is a trooper and I'm confident the OL will give him time to throw the ball.

What concerns me is running the ball. We will have to run the ball against Alabama to ensure they don't pin their ears back and come all out at Renfree every play. The good news is we ran the ball for 129 yards against Wake Forest who has a higher ranked run defense (36) than Alabama (46).

If we can establish a running game, it will set Renfree and our outstanding receivers up for success. Desmond Scott needs to have a successful afternoon for Duke to have a shot at beating Alabama. I know that is easier said than done but we have to be confident. Or, more accurately stated, the team has to be confident.
    I think Duke can move the ball and score some points.

The most unfavorable matchup is Alabama's power running game versus our defensive front. Running back Trent Richardson may be the most powerful running back I've seen in college football in quite a while; he bowls over would-be tacklers, breaks tackles, and carries opponents for extra yardage. He operates behind a big, fast, talented offensive line.

Of course, the "other" running back is Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The most unfavorable matchup is Alabama's power running game versus our defensive front.
    I agree with you completely. I should have prefaced my concern with the descriptor offfensive. Our defense will have their hands full handling Richardson, Ingram and that big offensive line.
    Bob Green

Duke - Alabama score - Predictions?

What do people think the final score will be in the game? I'm going out on a limb and predicting Duke 31 Alabama 28 (always nice to fantasize, eh?) I realize Alabama is a 24 point favorite at this point. I think if Duke loses by 14 or less, it will be a "moral victory." I just hope it is NOT a total blowout by Alabama. I think Coach Sabin has enough class and enough respect for Coach Cutcliffe and for the whole Wallace Wade/Alabama/Duke tradition to NOT run up the score too much, if the game gets out of hand early against Duke.