Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    There is no such thing as "too many episodes of Top Gear".
    That is very true especially when you start calling your trunk the boot.

The same can be said about every Duke needs to be on national TV at 9 PM. I can't believe we win the NC and are ESPN isn't going to be at Midnite Madness. I am trying to figure out hwo I can seek out of work early enough to make the 10 hour drive to Durham.

Quinn's injury not as serious as previously thought: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/...-in-4-5-weeks/

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Quinn's injury not as serious as previously thought: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/09/...-in-4-5-weeks/
    Looks like all of the prayers have worked. Fantastic news for the kid.

@JayJayDimeESPN, Quinn Cook (@QCook323) has received an official offer from Duke. He'll be at Countdown to Craziness on Oct. 15
    15 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    Retweeted by you and 1 other

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    @JayJayDimeESPN, Quinn Cook (@QCook323) has received an official offer from Duke. He'll be at Countdown to Craziness on Oct. 15
    Anyone thinks this helps/hurts our chances with Austin? Curious to hear what others think. Not sure if this is exactly sign that Kyrie is one and done and with our depth at guard I'm not sure how it affects any time that Austin would have running the show.

2011 is going to be a great class

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    This speaks volumes about where the coaching staff thinks we stand between QM, and QC, assuming a forthcoming committment from AR. This offer either means that:

A) "We've been wanting a committment from QM, and that's not going to happen. So we need to capitalize on QC who seems very interested and is also a great talent. We can't miss on them both."

or

B) "We still have a chance with QM, we think that QC would commit given an offer, so let's put it out there and see which one we get first."

Yes, Duke could miss on all 3 prospects, nothing is ever certain till they step foot on campus, but given the probability of a Rivers committment, the interest shown by Cook, and the wishy-washy recruitment of Miller I think these are the most likely outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    Anyone thinks this helps/hurts our chances with Austin?
    IMO, it neither helps nor hurts. The two recruitments are totally independent.
    Bob Green

Anyone thinks this helps/hurts our chances with Austin? Curious to hear what others think. Not sure if this is exactly sign that Kyrie is one and done and with our depth at guard I'm not sure how it affects any time that Austin would have running the show.
    Cook's recruitment has more to do with the weakness of the 2012 PG class. Duke doesn't see any PGs in that class as good as Cook. Factor that in with the very real possibility that Irving will only be at Duke for one season and the possibility that Curry might struggle to make the transition to point for 2012, then offering Cook is a no-brainer. IMO.

Bob is correct. Rivers is a likely one-and-done wing. Cook is a three/four-year point. Their recruitments only intersect at the place where having competent point guards enhances the ability of its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cook's recruitment has more to do with the weakness of the 2012 PG class. Duke doesn't see any PGs in that class as good as Cook. Factor that in with the very real possibility that Irving will only be at Duke for one season and the possibility that Curry might struggle to make the transition to point for 2012, then offering Cook is a no-brainer. IMO.

Bob is correct. Rivers is a likely one-and-done wing. Cook is a three/four-year point. Their recruitments only intersect at the place where having competent point guards enhances the ability of its wings.
    But what about Ty Thornton? How do he and QC compare? Wouldn't you think by the time QC gets on campus that Ty should be a more than capable PG to step in and play next to whomever the wing is at the time? Gbinje? But I did overlook that QC is a junior so in that case I totally understand why we are recruiting him so heavily. I'm on board with this full throttle now...I originally thought he was in the same class as AR.

But what about Ty Thornton? How do he and QC compare? Wouldn't you think by the time QC gets on campus that Ty should be a more than capable PG to step in and play next to whomever the wing is at the time? Gbinje? But I did overlook that QC is a junior so in that case I totally understand why we are recruiting him so heavily. I'm on board with this full throttle now...I originally thought he was in the same class as AR.
    They are both c/o 2011

But I did overlook that QC is a junior so in that case I totally understand why we are recruiting him so heavily. I'm on board with this full throttle now...I originally thought he was in the same class as AR.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    They are both c/o 2011
    As DBNV points out, both are seniors in HS right now and therefore class of 2011.

Thornton certainly factors into the equation. But do you want him to be your only true point guard?

Thornton certainly factors into the equation. But do you want him to be your only true point guard?
    Well I don't think that I'd want Ty to be the only true ballhandler but again like you said before that is assuming that Curry encounters some problems transitioning to PG. Which IMO I think he'll be used more as a combo guard this year and next no matter what anyone says. He may play more mins at he point but I just think his ability to score will always overshadow his lead guard skills.

My apologies about the mixup of which class QC was in. I orignally thought he was class of 11' but when jimsumner responsded about the weakness of the PG position in the class of 2012 I got confused and thought I was mistaken and QC was a junior. So with that said...I still makes for some interesting situations with the backcourt next year. But it certainly doesn't hurt at all...just hope it helps if anything with AR..because in the end I'd rather have him then any of the class of 2011..although I am in love with ALL our recruits

The way I understand their games, Thornton and Cook seem like they'd fill the same role - solid, 4-year guys who aren't blessed with exceptional physical gifts but are perfectly capable of running a team if need be. I'm not necessarily sure why we'd need two of that type of PG in consecutive classes, rather than going for a more explosive alternative (especially when Seth Curry will probably be our starting PG in 2010-11, regardless).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    The way I understand their games, Thornton and Cook seem like they'd fill the same role - solid, 4-year guys who aren't blessed with exceptional physical gifts but are perfectly capable of running a team if need be. I'm not necessarily sure why we'd need two of that type of PG in consecutive classes, rather than going for a more explosive alternative (especially when Seth Curry will probably be our starting PG in 2010-11, regardless).
    2011-2012?

So who's the more explosive alternative in the HS classes of 2011 or 2012?

Many in the Duke program think Thornton is underrated but the reality is that he is absent from almost all of the class of 2010 prep top-100 lists.

Cook, by contrast, seems to consistently be in the 15-25 range in the '11 rankings. He also played quite well in the U-18 (?) championships, where he started ahead of Kentucky commit Marquis Teague, a consensus top-5 prospect.

So, Cook and Thornton may be similar but it may well be the case that Cook does those things better than Thornton.

Besides, what's wrong with two guys combining for 40 minutes of solid, capable point-guard play?

I love Tyler Thornton but he's probably not on Cook's level. Cook was the starting PG on USA's under-17 team (stats at http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u1...010_06_29.html ) ahead of Marquis Teague. In that role, Cook averaged 7.4 assists/gm for Team USA and was also the second-best 3-pt shooter on the team (behind Brad Beal). He would be a very nice get for Duke.

Duvall - I meant to type 2011-2012, my bad. Josiah Turner would be the first name that comes to mind. Kabongo, obviously, but that's not really up to the staff. If neither of those is a fit, maybe we save it for Rasheed Sulaimon, LJ Rose, or some other yet-to-emerge 2012 PG targets. I wouldn't even be opposed to taking a look at Durham's own Torian Graham if his PG skills come along.

I just think we're set up to where we can take a risk and go after a guy with more upside - maybe a combo guard in the Williams/Irving/Turner mold. There's nothing wrong with having role players at the point, but PG has traditionally been a very important position for K and Duke and it doesn't hurt to have a stud there... and I'm not sure we recruit over Cook and Thornton if they both end up on the squad.

I won't pout if we get Quinn though, he seems like a great kid.

(ETA: I'm just a little skeptical of how well he'll translate to the college level - I worry he may end up with a little of the Greg Paulus syndrome due to his relative lack of size and athleticism. But if he does live up to his ranking and HS credentials, he will in fact be a great get.)

Duvall - I meant to type 2011-2012, my bad. Josiah Turner would be the first name that comes to mind. Kabongo, obviously, but that's not really up to the staff. If neither of those is a fit, maybe we save it for Rasheed Sulaimon, LJ Rose, or some other yet-to-emerge 2012 PG targets. I wouldn't even be opposed to taking a look at Durham's own Torian Graham if his PG skills come along.

I just think we're set up to where we can take a risk and go after a guy with more upside - maybe a combo guard in the Williams/Irving/Turner mold. There's nothing wrong with having role players at the point, but PG has traditionally been a very important position for K and Duke and it doesn't hurt to have a stud there... and I'm not sure we recruit over Cook and Thornton if they both end up on the squad.

I won't pout if we get Quinn though, he seems like a great kid.
    We also won a title with a scoring point guard (Williams) sharing duty with a pass-first point guard (Duhon). Considering that we already have Curry for as many as three more years and Rivers (hopefully) in there, as well, we look to be in great shape in terms of scoring combo guard types with good upside. A Cook, Curry backcourt in 2012-2013 would look really good. You' have a senior Curry who's had some time to play a little point (perhaps in a way similar to Nolan) and a sophomore Cook who may not average double figures in points, but can knock down open jumpers, create off the bounce, and get the rest of our team involved. Throw in Thornton, Dawkins, Hairston, Adams, MP3 and hopefully guys like Murphy and Shabazz and we've got a very balanced, versatile team.

[/I])
    Duke likes Cook more than Turner and more than 2012 PGs like Rose and Paige.

Duke is recruiting Sulaimon but as a 2. Like Ewing, Scheyer and some others, he could end up as a point.