Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    All this quibbling may become rather moot.
    Mr. Cook's imminent commitment to Duke is not likely. Might well wait til Spring.
    Evidently concerns exist as to what effect a lockout might have on the Duke PG situation (could we possibly endure an extra year of Mr. Irving?)...
    After the CTC he was, by all accounts, very close to a commitment.
    But not now.
    Just have to wait and see now.
    Interesting...where are you getting this information regarding his concerns? I thought Quinn said he intended to sign during the early period (which would mean he has a couple more weeks to ruminate), and thus he's just taking taking his time.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Interesting...where are you getting this information regarding his concerns? I thought Quinn said he intended to sign during the early period (which would mean he has a couple more weeks to ruminate), and thus he's just taking taking his time.
    No inside info here but I think this has a lot to do with UNC now showing intrest.

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    Am i the only one that isnt sold on Quinn... Can some please post a link of his game?! I know he is a top 20 player in 2011 and plays for one of the best Highschool basketball programs in the nation but.... just from the highlights ive seen (yes i know its just highlights) but i wasnt too impressed to be honest. just my 2 cents. Id rather save the scholarship for a big man
    No, you are not the only one. For being less than 6 feet and 155 lbs., you would think he would be quicker than he is. Also,Alot of the moves I see on youtube are not going to work in college...

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    No, you are not the only one. For being less than 6 feet and 155 lbs., you would think he would be quicker than he is. Also,Alot of the moves I see on youtube are not going to work in college...
    exactly what i was thinking. Granted they are highlights... but you'd think highlights would be a lil better. Don't know what it is but im just not sold on him yet... key word YET. I totally understand what he has accomplished w/ the under 17 team and such and being a top 20 player. I trust the coaching staff 100% but aaahhhhh just not feeling it. Rather save the scholarship. We have 3 players w/o Kyrie that can play point next year IMO we dont need Cook.

Rather save the scholarship.
    For what? There's a very good chance Duke will have four open scholarships next year.

I should care about flames why again?
    You may not care, but it helps the rest of us realize who to listen to and who might be less informed, which Jason indicated...and interestingly enough is tremendously helpful in this situation.

Am i the only one that isnt sold on Quinn...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yes.
    No, you are not the only one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Quinn Cook not only played on this summer's United States U-17 team, he started at point ahead of more touted Marquis Teague. Cook excelled as a playmaker, with 59 assists against 24 turnovers in eight games. He led the entire tournament with 7.4 assists per game.

This wasn't in a no-defense all-star game. This wasn't in an AAU camp. It sure wasn't a youtube video. Rather it was high-level, international competition. Did I mention that the U.S. won the gold medal? Without losing a game?
    Whom to trust? Bob, Jim and the Coach of the reigning Olympic Gold Medal team, FIBA World Championship gold medal team, and NCAA Championship team or two anonymous posters on a message board?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    You may not care, but it helps the rest of us realize who to listen to and who might be less informed, which Jason indicated...and interestingly enough is tremendously helpful in this situation.

Whom to trust? Bob, Jim and the Coach of the reigning Olympic Gold Medal team, FIBA World Championship gold medal team, and NCAA Championship team or two anonymous posters on a message board?
    Like i stated above i believe in the coaching staff and their judgment. And a very good chance Duke will have 4 open scholarships next year. I highly doubt that, but that's debatable also. and its its so laughable how much emphasis this site puts on little pitchforks and little flames on who to trust. I totally understand there are some people who know more than be and have inside information but to rank people on opinions and popular views is dumb. Once again its just my opinion.

Im not on here to stir up anything just give my 2 cents if it offends you well then thats your problem. If you dont think its a correct view then prove me wrong. And in my honest opinion on this topic about Cook i have been proved wrong many of times but i still dont think "im my opinion" that im sold on Cook yet. Sorry if my view is different than yours.
    _TheFake "everyone needs to lighten up" JWill_

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post

Yes SIlkyJ and we all know K never makes a mistake ...hence Greg Paulus. Why are you bashing me and fakejwill for sharing an opinion? I like Cook for his ball handling and leadership but there is alot lacking in the athletic category...am i a bad Duke fan for thinking so?

No, you are not the only one. For being less than 6 feet and 155 lbs., you would think he would be quicker than he is.
    Scout lists him as 6'0", 155, but both ESPN and Rivals both list him at 6'1", 180. Don't know which is right, but my guess is Scout's numbers are outdated and thus your thoughts may be based on incorrect information.

Like i stated above i believe in the coaching staff and their judgment. And a very good chance Duke will have 4 open scholarships next year. I highly doubt that, but that's debatable also. and its its so laughable how much emphasis this site puts on little pitchforks and little flames on who to trust. I totally understand there are some people who know more than be and have inside information but to rank people on opinions and popular views is dumb. Once again its just my opinion.

Im not on here to stir up anything just give my 2 cents if it offends you well then thats your problem. If you dont think its a correct view then prove me wrong. And in my honest opinion on this topic about Cook i have been proved wrong many of times but i still dont think "im my opinion" that im sold on Cook yet. Sorry if my view is different than yours.
    _TheFake "everyone needs to lighten up" JWill_
    You want someone to "prove" your opinon wrong? Seriously?

Look, subject to the guidelines of the board, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But having the right to an opinion isn't the same thing as having a right to an unchallenged opinion. I have the right to my opinion that you don't have enough information on Cook to render an informed evaluation. Can you prove me wrong?

And I place a higher premium on opinions that are supported by facts and seem to be grounded in reality. Trying to judge a basketball player you've otherwise never seen on the basis of video highlights simply makes no sense.

The right to have an opinion may be equal but not all opinions are equal.

I trust you see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Scout lists him as 6'0", 155, but both ESPN and Rivals both list him at 6'1", 180. Don't know which is right, but my guess is Scout's numbers are outdated and thus your thoughts may be based on incorrect information.
    I'm 6'1 and when I stoop beside of him when he was signing an autograph he looked to be my exact same height, although he was wearing boots. (Yes i noticed what kind of footwear he had on)

...am i a bad Duke fan for thinking so?
    Of course not. He was dismissive of the trident system, which was called for by many, many posters on the board starting probably 2-3 years ago, and I was pointing out its utility as a means of deciphering who on the board was worth reading and trusting and who was not.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I'm 6'1 and when I stoop beside of him when he was signing an autograph he looked to be my exact same height, although he was wearing boots. (Yes i noticed what kind of footwear he had on)
    Does that mean you think he's shorter than 6'1"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Does that mean you think he's shorter than 6'1"?
    Probably. I haven't checked my height in a few months and I may still be growing, after all I'm only 19. I may be taller than 6'1 by now.

Are heights ever accurate? I remember Dmarc was listed at around 6'3". However, when I stood next to him (and I'm a legit 6'3"), he was at least 2 inches shorter.

Henderson, however, is definitely a legit 6'4".

Heights are a funny thing. They are difficult to take seriously, especially at the high school level.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    No inside info here but I think this has a lot to do with UNC now showing intrest.
    And where are you reading this?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Probably. I haven't checked my height in a few months and I may still be growing, after all I'm only 19. I may be taller than 6'1 by now.
    Go stand in front of a cinder block wall and have someone take your picture, send it to me and I will tell you withing 1/9th of an inch how tall you are.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Go stand in front of a cinder block wall and have someone take your picture, send it to me and I will tell you withing 1/9th of an inch how tall you are.
    I'll be sure and hold my arms out too so you can calculate my wingspand.

OT - Sorry but...

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Now to the "rep" and "flames", I don't believe that it truly shows the worth of people's posts. I feel like I have contributed some good info to this board but it is such a "clique" that it doesn't matter. I never got positive rep for anything I put on here, but I question whether we got the whole story on Cook's knee and I get negative rep. I just don't think you can truly evaluate someone's rep by the flames, just my "person opinion".
    Didn't you predict that Cook would be committing on Friday - two week ago or so?

I post infrequently on recruiting as I rarely can add to the conversation since I live about 2600 miles away. But I read daily (who would ever think that a Duke fan would be OCD?) and I try to keep track of who says what - I thought it was easier with post count but the pitchforks are here and that's the tool we have.

If I had flames rather that pitchforks (and I never expect to exceed the single one I have), I would question whether my opinion was informed or I was shooting from the lip without a fact to back me up. I would look to see if my style was unduly argumentative. Heck, I might even check my grammar or word usage since this board is a cut above the average.

Are there cliques? Certainly. That's how human beings organize themselves and the virtual world is just a mirror of the real world. At least here, you have the opportunity to reach a larger audience (and even those cliques - there are multiple ones on the board -that you comment about) that would be difficult to accomplish in the real world.

And, within the confines of the rules, you have exactly the same opportunity as every other poster including Jumbo or Jim Sumner or Adam Rowe. This is a voluntary community. The pitchforks let you know how you're doing in fitting into the community. They have high pitchfork counts because they're accurate, informed and generally courteous - even Jumbo!

Now back to the Quinn Cook vigil - because I think (not based on youtube videos but on comments by teammates and coaches), that he would be a very nice fit for our backcourt with Tyler and Andre in a couple of years.

I hope things work out for Quinn so that he accepts his offer to Duke. He is almost part of the family already through his association w/ Nolan.

The wild card in this process is the NBA lockout situation. If Kyrie stays for a second season, Quinn would basically have to sit out a year at Duke. However things work out, Duke should be in good shape with either Kyrie or Quinn to pair up with Austin next season.