Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Looks like Quinn got his MRI results back and will only miss up to 120 days. He may miss Countdown to Crazieness, but that's the least of his worries at this time...

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2010/08/...ate-part-deux/

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Looks like Quinn got his MRI results back and will only miss up to 120 days. He may miss Countdown to Crazieness, but that's the least of his worries at this time...

Glad to hear it isn't worse, although any injury is unfortunate. Hopefully the surgery and recovery go well. My brother and my college roommate both had knee surgery; it definately isn't a fun thing for the person going through it. Except the painkillers; those are fun for you and anyone who might be in the room at the time.

I am not real sure why this injury would have him miss CTC, I tore my ACL and had reconstructive surgery and was walking and rehabbing the next week. He doesn't have to play ball or pass some kind of physical does he?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    Glad to hear it isn't worse, although any injury is unfortunate. Hopefully the surgery and recovery go well. My brother and my college roommate both had knee surgery; it definately isn't a fun thing for the person going through it. Except the painkillers; those are fun for you and anyone who might be in the room at the time.
    Not always. When I was in the hospital after having my quadracep tendon reattached to my knee, they had me on the best pain meds I have ever had, some sort or morphine derivative. Problem was, I would stop breathing every so often. Scared my son pretty badly the first time it happened. It was kind of strange for me for the next few hours: there were a bunch of people staring at me as I would drift in and out of consciousness. And they would keep waking me up as my sleep was becoming the most peaceful; I was almost resentful. Didn't feel the knee until the next day, and didn't sleep much for a while after that.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure everyone in the hospital room was there to make sure I kept breathing, I seem to remember some talk of bets being made.

Talking Woozy Is As Woozy Does

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Not always. When I was in the hospital after having my quadracep tendon reattached to my knee, they had me on the best pain meds I have ever had, some sort or morphine derivative. Problem was, I would stop breathing every so often. Scared my son pretty badly the first time it happened. It was kind of strange for me for the next few hours: there were a bunch of people staring at me as I would drift in and out of consciousness. And they would keep waking me up as my sleep was becoming the most peaceful; I was almost resentful. Didn't feel the knee until the next day, and didn't sleep much for a while after that.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure everyone in the hospital room was there to make sure I kept breathing, I seem to remember some talk of bets being made.
    I like the direction this thread is going. No, I really do... time to tell some good stories.

When I had major surgery more than a few years ago, I was given morphine for some time following surgery. The next day (surgery was in the late afternoon) I was woozy but thought I was basically OK. Then, when I picked up the newspaper, while I could read and understand the headlines, I couldn't transform the words in the articles into any understandable sentence. I was kind of like a cognitive CuisineArt.

sagegrouse
    "Of course, I had "major" surgery because "minor" surgery is surgery performed on someone else'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I like the direction this thread is going. No, I really do... time to tell some good stories.

When I had major surgery more than a few years ago, I was given morphine for some time following surgery. The next day (surgery was in the late afternoon) I was woozy but thought I was basically OK. Then, when I picked up the newspaper, while I could read and understand the headlines, I couldn't transform the words in the articles into any understandable sentence. I was kind of like a cognitive CuisineArt.

sagegrouse
    "Of course, I had "major" surgery because "minor" surgery is surgery performed on someone else'
    The roommate I mentioned earlier attempted to e-mail his professors to ask about his assignments. He didn't get past the first sentence before misspelling his own name ("there isn't an X in your name. Or a U. Or a G. You know, someone else should probably wirte this").

The other fun thing is that the meds also gave him some kind of temporary amnesia. He can't remember anything from the month after surgery, which means I can just make up stories about stuff he did, and he has no idea whether they're true. Turns out that effectively missing a month of class (even if he was physically present for most of it) is not a good thing once exams roll around.

sagegrouse

My story sucked. I did in my ACL and Meniscus. Well when I was coming out of anesthesia I apparently was asking to see my ex. Well my current girlfriend was called over by the nurse using my ex's name to see me. Needless to say it didn't last to much longer when I sobered up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post

I was always under the impression partial tears were actually worse than complete tears. Not that I'm trying to argue against the professional opinion of USsoccer's physician, but the way the trainers used to explain it to me in college was that repairing a ligament leaves it much more susceptible to re-injury, whereas completely rupturing it, and having the ligament replaced with your own or someone else's tissue basically returned you to 110% (assuming the surgery was performed correctly). The big tradeoff is that a complete rupture is an 8-10, sometimes 12, monther and - as in Quinn's case - the partial tear surgery is 3-4 months.

Anyone with a background in medicine care to comment on how (in)accurate (probably 'in') that summary is?

Anyone know why Quinn just tweeted that Villanova is back on his list? Is he not feeling the love from Duke? Has he heard the rumors about Kabongo?
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by G man View Post
    My story sucked. I did in my ACL and Meniscus. Well when I was coming out of anesthesia I apparently was asking to see my ex. Well my current girlfriend was called over by the nurse using my ex's name to see me. Needless to say it didn't last to much longer when I sobered up.
    Hospitals can be bad for relationships:

I was in for a fractured jaw and a concussion (face to face collision in the outfield, I was the shortstop and the outfielder said he couldn't hearing me calling the ball). I was very pleased to awake to a young lady I had been trying to go out with. Turns out I had. To this day I can't remember having spent the prior two days with her. We supposedly even went horseback riding. She wasn't amused, or understanding.

If a complete were better than a partial, wouldn't they just cut out the ligament and start over? Of course, by that logic, since a sprained ankle can take longer to heal than a simple fracture, the doctors should treat ankle sprains with mallets.

I haven't been following his recruitment closely (he's a top 20 talent and a smart, solid kid so I assume we'd want him regardless of who returns and that we have at least a 50:50 shot of getting him since that's roughly our track record with top flight, solid guys--a recruitment rate that seems to me easily the best in the country but isn't ever going to approach 100%--and I don't particularly need to know every nuance of 17 year olds who are as likely to suit up for a Kansas or Carolina--though when they sign for us, I become like a drooling adolescent), I hadn't realized he was good friends with Nolan, that the coach of his AAU team was Nolan's stepfather, and that his father died his sophomore year. The injury is rough, but now I really hope that he winds up in a Duke uniform...

I was in for a fractured jaw and a concussion (face to face collision in the outfield, I was the shortstop and the outfielder said he couldn't hearing me calling the ball). I was very pleased to awake to a young lady I had been trying to go out with. Turns out I had. To this day I can't remember having spent the prior two days with her. We supposedly even went horseback riding. She wasn't amused, or understanding.
    Killer! Kinda ridiculous that she wasn't understanding. Did you beat your head against a well just so you'd forget that? Course not.

ps I want to know the end of the story!

Exhibition games getting out of hand?

I did not see how Cook actually injured his knee. But after hearing this and seeing Austin fall hard on his wrist at the same venue, I wonder if anyone starts to ask whether it is really good for these kids to be playing in so many summer games - especially the ones that seem to emphasize flashiness over substance. I hope it doesn't happen but just watching the way some guys played the other day (over-emphasis on attempt to make flashy plays, especially hard dunks/alleyoops) made me wonder when someone was going to get hurt badly. Would be a shame for some kid's career to be ruined while playing at a silly event driven by corporate marketing.

sagegrouse
    You should try a combination of Ambien & Vicoden. My son said I had a very intersting conversation with him comparing the speed of a cheeta & an Aston Martin DB9. I apparently offered to give up a kidney for an Aston. He makes me watch too many episodes of Top Gear.

The scary part of this story is that you were playing shortstop. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Killer! Kinda ridiculous that she wasn't understanding. Did you beat your head against a well just so you'd forget that? Course not.

ps I want to know the end of the story!
    It actually worked out well, just not with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Frosh View Post
    The scary part of this story is that you were playing shortstop. LOL
    It appears I thought I was playing left field!

Funny thing is, in 20+ years of playing softball, there was only one team on which I did NOT play shortstop. And Mirecourt had what, 39 guys in the entire house? We did OK we did.

This reminded me of the Carlos Beltran-Mike Cameron collision for the Mets in 2005, which was horrific to watch live. It happens more often than it should, especially with outfielders coming in and infielders going out. Glad everything worked out for the best on all fronts.

With Kabongo, after I saw someone here mention it I did a search and read on a different thread about that possibility. I would be ecstatic if something worked out there, especially since I was pretty sure he was rock solid for Texas. He has SERIOUS game. I was at the game where he and Kyrie dueled down the stretch, and it was like a high school version of Chris Paul and Deron Williams going at it. Kabongo came out on top, but St. Pat's didn't have Gilchrist for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    You should try a combination of Ambien & Vicoden. My son said I had a very intersting conversation with him comparing the speed of a cheeta & an Aston Martin DB9. I apparently offered to give up a kidney for an Aston. He makes me watch too many episodes of Top Gear.
    Top Gear and Duke basketball are two of the best things on TV

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    He makes me watch too many episodes of Top Gear.
    There is no such thing as "too many episodes of Top Gear".

sagegrouse
    When I awoke the first time from a biopsy, my family was very upset to tell me I had Cancer, I fell back asleep and when I awoke they had to tell me again. By the 4th time, they were like "Yeah, you got cancer, now go back to sleep so we can watch tv."
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."