Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    We can go all day with stats and accomplishments but what I am trying to say is that it is a "stretch" because Cook hasn't played his senior year yet. It's hard to believe that a guy who averaged 21ppg, 8rpg, 9assists, and 5spg as a junior and 28ppg, 7assists, 4rpg, and 4spg his senior year was ranked as the 5 best pg in the class behind Raymond Felton, Anthony Roberson, Daniel Horton, and Dee Brown. Either you got Dock's stats wrong or he didn't play against that tough of competition because those stats are ridiculous.
    Well, Felton, Roberson, Horton and Brown were all really good, so I don't think there's any shame in being behind them. Plus, other then Felton they were all pretty close for an inexact science like recruiting rankings (Horton #15 RSCI, Roberson #16, Brown #19, and Dockery #21). I also believe at some point in his junior year, Dockery was ranked higher than any of them (including Felton), but his ranking slipped senior year for some reason.

I didn't get the stats wrong. I believe Dockery played in the Chicago public school league, which as far as I know has a pretty good reputation.

I understand what you're saying now, and of course we have no idea what Quinn will do his senior year. But even if he does really well, it's hard to see him having better stats or winning more accolades than Sean did.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I apologize if I misrepresented your intent. But I'm sensitive to the phenomena where Duke fans inflate expectations of young players to unrealistic levels and then turn on them when they fail to meet those expectations. On the front page of this board, we're comparing Ryan Kelly to Christian Laettner and Austin Rivers to Pete Maravich. And this is the rational Duke board.

How many posts have we had where Greg Paulus was lambasted for not being Bobby Hurley, where Brian Zoubek was lambasted for not being Mike Gminski? Wasn't Gerald Henderson the next Grant Hill, Lance Thomas the next Shane Battier, Josh McRoberts the next Danny Ferry?

So, yes, call it a pet peeve, call it a sore nerve. But I don't think comparing Tyler Thornton to Tommy Amaker does Thornton any favors.
    Has any player at Duke ever replicated a previous player's accomplishments and in the same manner? I'd say no. And yet there is still the phenomena of someone being the next <insert past player here>.

Actually I think you could say this about every program out there and every level including the nba. Does anybody ever really become the next <somebody else who played years ago>? Isn't every player pretty much unique?
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, Felton, Roberson, Horton and Brown were all really good, so I don't think there's any shame in being behind them. Plus, other then Felton they were all pretty close for an inexact science like recruiting rankings (Horton #15 RSCI, Roberson #16, Brown #19, and Dockery #21). I also believe at some point in his junior year, Dockery was ranked higher than any of them (including Felton), but his ranking slipped senior year for some reason.

I didn't get the stats wrong. I believe Dockery played in the Chicago public school league, which as far as I know has a pretty good reputation.

I understand what you're saying now, and of course we have no idea what Quinn will do his senior year. But even if he does really well, it's hard to see him having better stats or winning more accolades than Sean did.
    I got you those are just some outrageous numbers and if he is playing against good competition I don't understand his stock dropping especially to, Felton that played in South Carolina, which doesn't have the reputation of a high school basketball state. We will see what Cook does his senior year against very good competition since he will be at Oak Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Has any player at Duke ever replicated a previous player's accomplishments and in the same manner? I'd say no. And yet there is still the phenomena of someone being the next <insert past player here>.

Actually I think you could say this about every program out there and every level including the nba. Does anybody ever really become the next <somebody else who played years ago>? Isn't every player pretty much unique?
    I think how this all started was someone wanted to know who's "game" Cook's reminded them of. Players can have similar "game" but not be the "next so and so". People want to relate to these players coming in and one way to do that is to know who they play like. Irving has a similar game to Jason Williams, now that doesn't mean he is the next Jason Williams but their game is similar. They are both very good ball handlers and silky smooth driving to the basket. Anyway it is more about similarities in players games I think, and it's easier to relate to player you are already familiar with.

While jumping around in Twitter land, I found a re-tweet of Quinn Cook that indicated he really enjoyed his visit to UCLA. It's hard to beat a night out in Westwood.

@QCook323 Oh yeah last night was poppppppin! Word to @leezy3 and @AllDayThomas. UCLA was to livee! RiP DAD!

Sorry to interrupt the Thornton discussion. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    While jumping around in Twitter land, I found a re-tweet of Quinn Cook that indicated he really enjoyed his visit to UCLA. It's hard to beat a night out in Westwood.

Sorry to interrupt the Thornton discussion. Carry on.
    Well, that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Well, that sucks!
    Yeah,K should retire. in fact,lets call it a season .

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

Thanks, Airowe. Hopefully, Marshall and Quinn will be facing off as future teammates in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Yeah,K should retire. in fact,lets call it a season .
    I didn't say it hurts us that bad, but I hate to hear any other school was "poppin." It just isn't one of my favorite things. K is the man and will almost surely get him in here, but I was hoping it would happen sooner than later and I don't want a fresh "poppin" experience to get in the way of that.

From twitter:

@QCook323 College decision coming soon! RiP DAD!

Folks who seem to be in the know over at The Devils Den seem pretty confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    From twitter:

Yeah i read some quotes from people who are confident also. This would be a great pickup for Duke although with UNC recently offering you have to be a little nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    From twitter:

Can he hold out for 7 or 8 days?

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I didn't say it hurts us that bad, but I hate to hear any other school was "poppin." It just isn't one of my favorite things. K is the man and will almost surely get him in here, but I was hoping it would happen sooner than later and I don't want a fresh "poppin" experience to get in the way of that.

Just ribbing you a little bit!...

Did UNC officially offer a scholarship to Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    Yeah i read some quotes from people who are confident also. This would be a great pickup for Duke although with UNC recently offering you have to be a little nervous.
    I haven't checked recruiting sites recently and I didn't hear that UNC officially offering Quinn. I knew that Carolina had expressed interest and that he wanted them to give an offer to him.

If UNC recently offered Quinn, did it have anything to do with a scholarship opening up due to Graves being kicked off the team? If anyone has any insight on this, I'd greatly appreciate reading it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I haven't checked recruiting sites recently and I didn't hear that UNC officially offering Quinn. I knew that Carolina had expressed interest and that he wanted them to give an offer to him.

If UNC recently offered Quinn, did it have anything to do with a scholarship opening up due to Graves being kicked off the team? If anyone has any insight on this, I'd greatly appreciate reading it. Thanks!
    Graves was in his last year of eligibility, and his scholarship would be open either way. UNC also has yet to use the scholarships vacated by the Wears.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Assuming the report is correct, my guess is it would have more to do with UNC missing out on Austin Rivers.

I don't think UNC has offered him, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Graves was in his last year of eligibility, and his scholarship would be open either way. UNC also has yet to use the scholarships vacated by the Wears.
    You're right about Graves.... I was thinking for some reason he was a junior; and thanks for the reminder about the 2 scholarships being available with the Wear twins transfer.

One would think that UCLA has a bit of advantage here, ok I guess I'm just thinking it. Among UCLA, Duke, and UNC only the Bruins can pretty much guarantee Cook a lot of playing time from Day 1. There are no other highly touted lead guards to compete with. Even if Irving bolts it's difficult to see Cook getting a lot of pt ahead of a Curry/Rivers combo. Then again, if Curry is as good or better than advertised, maybe he's gone after the '11-'12 season and Cook would only have to serve as a backup for one season (which could possibly be an ideal situation for him), but that is obviously a complete unknown (though would anyone be shocked if Curry had the legit opportunity?). And with Austin likely being on campus for one season, that opens the perimeter spot up a bit. UNC has Marshall for the next 4 years manning the point and Strickland providing some backup duty as a combo for the next 3 and Drew II running point in '11-12.. So it would possibly be even more difficult to crack a rotation at UNC. I would think Cook would not want to wait 3 years to be the main lead guard or have to spend 3 years sharing those duties. He would still play obviously but a kid of Cook's talent would probably rather play sooner than later.

I do feel like we have an advantage with Nolan Smith and his close friendship with Cook. Quinn has seen what kind of player Nolan has developed into in 3 years at Duke and after playing behind other guards his first couple years. So this could help us.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."