Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Austin likes Cooks chances of coming to Duke

Not sure if this was posted but in his diary on him picking Duke, Austin Rivers talked a little about what he would to do help recruiting at Duke. He mentioned several players including Quinn Cook of who he said:

"Then Quinn Cook is my man too. He’s a real good guy and I love playing with him, but I don’t even think that I need to recruit him. I think there’s a good chance of him coming with us."

Here is the link: http://www.highschoolhoop.com/hsh-di...duke-decision/

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    If TT is as good as you think he is, then why is K going after Quinn Cook in the first place?? Hmmmm?
    Because Coach K LIKES TO HAVE TWO STARTING QUALITY POINT GUARDS ON THE ROSTER. Cook and Thorton can play together.

Tyler is a winner, not a stat-stuffer, and has consistently out-played unc's more highly ranked point guard recruit. He will get playing time.

Quin will also get playing time. It kind of drives me batty that supposed fans question Duke's recruiting strategy. I am certain that Coach K is openly discussing with Quin how he will fit into future teams.

Please stop wondering whether we have schollies for Quincy and Quinn. QM won't commit untill the spring at the earliest, when everything shakes out. The scholly issue will work itself out. I think we can trust that Coach K and his staff have it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    If TT is as good as you think he is, then why is K going after Quinn Cook in the first place?? Hmmmm?
    It's a legitimate question. People sometimes become too defensive when a question is asked of our players or staff. My take is that TT will never be more than a backup PG at Duke. I hope that I am proven wrong and everyone can say, "I told you so." Making this statement doesn't make me any less of a fan or supporter, it merely means I can form some of my own objective beliefs that may be proven right or wrong. He is entitled to his own opinion assuming he addresses them correctly.

Tyler Thornton is both an excellent defender and passer. Just what Coach K likes to have in his system. He can also score, both from outside and in the paint. What is there not to like? He's just not as polished a scorer as the new guys we have coming in. When we first recruited him, I checked out a number of videos of him competing. May I suggest that the doubters do the same. This kid is very, very good.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Tyler Thornton is both an excellent defender and passer. Just what Coach K likes to have in his system. He can also score, both from outside and in the paint. What is there not to like? He's just not as polished a scorer as the new guys we have coming in. When we first recruited him, I checked out a number of videos of him competing. May I suggest that the doubters do the same. This kid is very, very good.

ricks
    Apologies for continuing the tangent, but I'm actually very interested to see how Thornton pans out during his time here. Despite his very low ranking, K clearly saw something in him early on. if I'm not mistaken, he was the first player K recruited and offered in that class, it wasn't like he was a "Plan D" we went after at the last minute to fill out a class and fulfill a need.

Given his attitude and toughness, I wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge as one of those players K develops a special fondness for. I predict an emotional senior night in 2014 for TT...

I'm reasonably certain that neither Thornton nor Cook projects to play 40 minutes per game for 40 games at any time in their college careers.

Hence, the need for both of them.

I think part of the thought process in recruiting is to think 2-3 years out.

I hate doing this because we haven't even enjoyed Kyrie playing a game for Duke or Austin, but here is the roster that might exist in 2012-2013

BC: Andre, Seth, Tyler T.
    Wings: Josh, Michael
    FC: Ryan, Tyler A., Marshall

This assumes that Seth stays around for his senior year and Mason, Kyrie and Austin have all left.

So for your last recruit in the class of 2011 another top 20 guard looks pretty good.

Mark

Realitywise, I just enjoy seeing how it all pans out year after year. Watching which players fit in the best, resulting in great winning play is all that I expect from our great coach. If we already knew the results, it kind of seriously dilutes the fun of watching them all develop and come together as a winning team. We really don't know how it will work out, really, do we?

ricks

Realitywise, I just enjoy seeing how it all pans out year after year. Watching which players fit in the best, resulting in great winning play is all that I expect from our great coach. If we already knew the results, it kind of seriously dilutes the fun of watching them all develop and come together as a winning team. We really don't know how it will work out, really, do we?

ricks
    Yep; genius at work.

Don't know exactly what the next masterpiece will look like, or the one after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    It's a legitimate question. People sometimes become too defensive when a question is asked of our players or staff. My take is that TT will never be more than a backup PG at Duke. I hope that I am proven wrong and everyone can say, "I told you so." Making this statement doesn't make me any less of a fan or supporter, it merely means I can form some of my own objective beliefs that may be proven right or wrong. He is entitled to his own opinion assuming he addresses them correctly.
    Same exact thing I was thinking. Also the fact that if he becomes a starter at some point in his career he wont play 40, 35, or 30 mins a game. It would be more likely him playing 20 to 29 mins per game.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that neither Thornton nor Cook projects to play 40 minutes per game for 40 games at any time in their college careers.

Hence, the need for both of them.
    Yep, and nice to have somebody to practice against every day too.

Quote Originally Posted by Azdukefan View Post
    This is my take on it as well. It's certainly possible that the rankers have made an enormous mistake - it's happened before and will no doubt happen again (the Brothers Curry, Burtler's entire team). Realistically though, even guys in the top 20-30 of the class usually take a year or two to make the starting line-up, and players outside that have generally been career backups (McClure, Melchionni, Horvath) or eventual transfers (Boateng, Boykin, Olek, Marty sorta). Miles is the only real exception in the last decade that I'm aware of; Seth might be another, depending on how things shake out. That's not to say their contributions haven't been important, just that they haven't typically been starter material (well, not here anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Yep, and nice to have somebody to practice against every day too.
    Injury insurance is nice too.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    This is my take on it as well. It's certainly possible that the rankers have made an enormous mistake - it's happened before and will no doubt happen again (the Brothers Curry, Burtler's entire team). Realistically though, even guys in the top 20-30 of the class usually take a year or two to make the starting line-up, and players outside that have generally been career backups (McClure, Melchionni, Horvath) or eventual transfers (Boateng, Boykin, Olek, Marty sorta). Miles is the only real exception in the last decade that I'm aware of; Seth might be another, depending on how things shake out. That's not to say their contributions haven't been important, just that they haven't typically been starter material (well, not here anyway).
    Well, I'm not sure it's as clear cut as you seem to make it. While it's true that freshmen outside the top 10 may not start immediately, it's also true that it's not "enormous" surprise when they do (you missed Jon Scheyer (#28 RSCI) and Lance Thomas (#20), by the way). It usually depends on the rest of the team as much as it does the player in question.

One thing I wonder about Tyler is his strengths seem to be things like defense, leadership, clutch performance, running the game, and helping his team win -- none of which are measured very well by statistics. Is it possible that's why his ranking was so low?

I'm not suggesting he'll start this year, or even next, but based on reports I'll be surprised if he's a "career backup."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    One thing I wonder about Tyler is his strengths seem to be things like defense, leadership, clutch performance, running the game, and helping his team win -- none of which are measured very well by statistics. Is it possible that's why his ranking was so low?
    I wonder, too, and think Tyler's low ranking is an intriguing little mystery. I assume [but only assume, as I've seen only a rare, short clip of him in action] his outside shot isn't great, that he's not quite as fast as the higher rated PGs, and maybe isn't a wow-passer. Just solid all-around, I again assume. His rep seems D-oriented, and even there, unless he'd been nearly astounding on D, it wouldn't have pushed him way-high in the rankings.

As a Dave McClure fanatic, I'm fond of solid [nearly-]all-around, and look forward to becoming a Tyler Thornton fanatic.

Could it be?

ricks
    That Tyler might turn out to be another Wo-Jo. I believe Steve had many doubters but Coach K loved his defense, leadership, intensity and heart. It's going to be interesting to watch Tyler's career. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    That Tyler might turn out to be another Wo-Jo. I believe Steve had many doubters but Coach K loved his defense, leadership, intensity and heart. It's going to be interesting to watch Tyler's career. Go Duke!
    I've said this on other threads, but I'm hoping Tyler eventually shows us a Tommy Amaker-like game. He seems to have a lot of similar characteristics.

Now you're talking!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I've said this on other threads, but I'm hoping Tyler eventually shows us a Tommy Amaker-like game. He seems to have a lot of similar characteristics.
    Tommy Amaker was one of my all-time Duke players. Good defender, pretty good shooter and could pass the basketball. Yeh, I'll take that. Go Duke!

Amaker and Wojo both were McDonald's All-Americas, so I think the expectation level is a bit different.

Then again, the 2010 ACC Player of the Year was ranked in the 90s as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Amaker and Wojo both were McDonald's All-Americas, so I think the expectation level is a bit different.

Then again, the 2010 ACC Player of the Year was ranked in the 90s as a senior.
    The ACC's leading scorer last year was unranked by two scouting services and was 77th according to RSCI...