Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    that would make him the likely starting PG
    How likely do you think it is, given that he'd need to beat out junior Seth? Seth's more of a combo guard, but the reports are that he ran point in practice last season and he'll probably get some time there this year. With Cook, we'd be starting 2 freshman guards, and possibly a freshman wing (on the off chance Miller commits).

Have to concur with some of the other respondants, such as Bob.
    1. Given that KI is more than likely 1-and-done, that would make him the likely starting PG (and only PURE PG other than TT, who was rated a bit lower coming out of HS) starting with his frosh year.
    2. Even if KI stays - not likely, but always possible - then he gets to back up KI, learning the system and gaining experience with some other very talented G's for a year. Then could start by his soph year.
    3. PG's are much better showcased when surrounded by other great talent - many targets to pass to who'll actually do something with it.
    4. Coach K. And while he's arguably the best coach of his era, K is also pretty well know as a GREAT PG-developer.
    5. He really likes some of the other players reportedly.
    6. Great education, beautiful campus, great fans, top-notch facillities and the tradition.
    7. Nowhere else can he get the kind of exposure that he can at Duke, assuming he wants to play in the Association.
    8. He gets the chance to play on a team trying for the first 3-peat NC in four decades!

As Bob said, why WOULDN'T he want to play here???
    I also agree with your main point and some other posters that Duke would be a great place for Cook to go, but have to disagree with the bolded part. If Kyrie leaves, who out of the top-rated freshman in the country (Rivers), or a Junior Curry who was the leading scorer in the country as a freshman, or even a Junior Dawkins, do you see Cook beating out for a starting spot. I hope he comes and hope he is a great player, but I just can't see him starting as a freshman, even if Kyrie and Mason both left. I think it is much more likely that Curry and/or Rivers would start as a PG even if both are probably combo guards.
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 10-02-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: addition, hopefully for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    If Kyrie leaves, who out of the top-rated freshman in the country (Rivers), or a Junior Curry who was the leading scorer in the country as a freshman, or even a Junior Dawkins, .
    Just for clarification, Curry was the leading freshman scorer in the NCAA during his season at Liberty. He was not the leading scorer in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Just for clarification, Curry was the leading freshman scorer in the NCAA during his season at Liberty. He was not the leading scorer in the country.
    Ooops. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I also agree with your main point and some other posters that Duke would be a great place for Cook to go, but have to disagree with the bolded part. If Kyrie leaves, who out of the top-rated freshman in the country (Rivers), or a Junior Curry who was the leading scorer in the country as a freshman, or even a Junior Dawkins, do you see Cook beating out for a starting spot. I hope he comes and hope he is a great player, but I just can't see him starting as a freshman, even if Kyrie and Mason both left. I think it is much more likely that Curry and/or Rivers would start as a PG even if both are probably combo guards.
    Yeah, I knew that "Cook as likely starting PG his frosh year if KI gone" point was going to be contentious. Maybe could have said "a primary PG option." B/c I DO see him getting a LOT of minutes at the point in that event, as a frosh, with it growing as the season (and he) progresses. Even though I am a big Curry fan, I based that prediction on him being pretty obviosly the highest-rated PURE PG option in that scenario. You would probably start and give more minutes to Curry if you (A) need more scoring from the Point [but how much more scoring is needed with Rivers, Gbinje (or Hairston or MP2), Dre (?) and MP1], and/or (B) Want to see more experience starting. I just think K places a lot of emphasis on the importance of the man who is the main ball handler/distributor. You could make the argument that the TEAM might function more effectively with a pure PG getting most of those minutes at the 1. That said, I think we'd be just fine with Curry too.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 10-03-2010 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah, I knew that "Cook as likely starting PG his frosh year if KI gone" point was going to be contentious. Maybe could have said "a primary PG option." B/c I DO see him getting a LOT of minutes at the point in that event, as a frosh, with it growing as the season (and he) progresses. Even though I am a big Curry fan, I based that prediction on him being pretty obviosly the highest-rated PURE PG option in that scenario. You would probably start and give more minutes to Curry if you (A) need more scoring from the Point [but how much more scoring is needed with Rivers, Gbinje (or Hairston or MP2), Dre (?) and MP1], and/or (B) Want to see more experience starting. I just think K places a lot of emphasis on the importance of the man who is the main ball handler/distributor. You could make the argument that the TEAM might function more effectively with a pure PG getting most of those minutes at the 1. That said, I think we'd be just fine with Curry too.
    I certainly agree that Cook would get decent minutes his freshman year (assuming Kyrie leaves); I just don't think that he'd be a lock to start. I'd also agree with the overall point that it shouldn't really affect his decision. Cook seems to be a 4 year type of player, so he should have plenty of time to make his mark either way.

IMHO there's an interesting parallel beween Cook and 'Binj. They're both top-25 freshmen who would be competing at their natural slot with somewhat out of position juniors. I expect a lot of discussion about who gets the nod.

It amazes me how Tyler Thornton is completely ignored in this thread.

couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    it's sad that this thread can't acknowledge the importance of a top 25 PG who is already on campus. c'mon folks, we're not this callous or, dare I say, spoiled are we?

Everyone isn't completely ignoring Tyler Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    With Kyrie Irving a probable one-and-done, Cook will compete, as a freshman, with Tyler Thornton for point guard minutes; Seth Curry will also be in the mix.
    However, I acknowledge your point, as a sophomore with a years experience in the system, Thornton would have an advantage over Cook in the competition for point guard minutes. My desire to see Cook commit to Duke is driven by my desire to have two pure point guards on the roster: Thornton and Cook.
    Bob Green

Interesting that you raise Tyler Thornton because I have been wondering where he fits in. Most people ignore him and he was obviously not as highly regarded as a recruit as most Duke players (I am not sure if he was top 100). Currently Duke is so deep at the guard position it is difficult to see him getting any minutes this year. But I assume that he was not recruited as a practise player. With Duke recruiting Cook, is it reasonable to assume that Tyler will ever be viewed as a first option at the point? What was the history of his recruitment - was he an insurance policy in the event that KI did not elect to come to Duke?

He seems like a great kid so he is thus an asset to Duke...but will he be another Andre Buckner?

id much rather have Miller. Seth Curry and Thorthon can more than carry the PG position. We really wont have a legit SF we have more MB and AD at the 2 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    id much rather have Miller. Seth Curry and Thorthon can more than carry the PG position.
    How do you know that? They've played a combined zero games for Duke.

No Comparison in my opinion

A little excerpt(compliments of google) from an old Clark Francis update. Tyler Thornton is a much more accomplished prep basketball player than Andre. It's possible he doesn't start in his career but he should be a valuable contributor as he career moves along. But also don't forget Buckners contribution, his confrontation with Matt Doherty.

"Speaking of Duke's recruiting, we continue to get reports that Duke has offered 5'10 Andre Buckner from Hopkinsville (University Heights) KY, who averaged 13 ppg and five assists per game. Unfortunately, he's not the sleeper that his brother, Greg Buckner, was when he signed with Clemson. Instead, the younger brother ranks no higher than #81 in the state by our Kentucky Editor Larry Kihnley. He's a great athlete, but he's more of a wing forward than a point guard, which is what the Duke needs. Apparently the Blue Devils were caught off guard when Avery announced that he's going pro and there simply aren't any point guards left available. Duke wanted to get involved with 6'1 Rick Jones from Georgetown (Scott County) KY and 6'2 Sean Harrington from Elgin (H.S.) IL, but they were too late. Remember, Avery announced his decision about the same time that Jones committed to Vanderbilt and Harrington committed to Illinois. The word we're getting is that Duke wants somebody who can at least bring the ball up the court if something happens to 6'2 Jason Williams from Metuchen (St. Joseph) NJ, because he'll be only guy who can do that in the program next year. However, Kihnley tells us that Buckner is not even close to being the answer. As a matter of fact, to our knowledge, Buckner has no other Division I offers. He wasn't all state and he wasn't one of the 35 players invited to play in the Kentucky-Indiana All-Star Game tryout."

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Beagle View Post
    Interesting that you raise Tyler Thornton because I have been wondering where he fits in. Most people ignore him and he was obviously not as highly regarded as a recruit as most Duke players (I am not sure if he was top 100). Currently Duke is so deep at the guard position it is difficult to see him getting any minutes this year. But I assume that he was not recruited as a practise player. With Duke recruiting Cook, is it reasonable to assume that Tyler will ever be viewed as a first option at the point? What was the history of his recruitment - was he an insurance policy in the event that KI did not elect to come to Duke?

He seems like a great kid so he is thus an asset to Duke...but will he be another Andre Buckner?

In my eyes I believe that Thornton will at worst be to Duke as Frasor was to UNC (minus freshman year when he started).

Freshman year he may not play much but Soph - Snr year I believe he will start when necessary. He will be an always reliable. As he grows to be a veteran he will provide leadership and balance. If he gets recruited over from a talent perspective it will be hard to recruit over him from a heart perspective. He will play excellent defense.

At best, he'll make it to the NBA, and will add a number of offensive skills to his already solid defensive set.

He will always have a place on Dukes team

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    How do you know that? They've played a combined zero games for Duke.
    Seth Curry runs point at practice this last year, has already been in the duke system for a year and by next year he will have 2 under his belt. How do we know Kyrie will be a beast? He has logged in zero mins a Duke as well.

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    Seth Curry runs point at practice this last year, has already been in the duke system for a year and by next year he will have 2 under his belt. How do we know Kyrie will be a beast? He has logged in zero mins a Duke as well.
    Well, Kyrie is widely regarded as a sure-fire superstar point guard by almost anybody whose opinion on the subject is considered valuable. While I think Thornton might surprise most, he is not regarded anywhere nearly as high. And while Seth is considered a superb shooting talent, his point guard abilities have not been lauded by the press (yet). So it's not as safe a position if you're arguing that Curry and Thornton will be able to handle the point by committee (though you may turn out to be right).

If TT is as good as you think he is, then why is K going after Quinn Cook in the first place?? Hmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    If TT is as good as you think he is, then why is K going after Quinn Cook in the first place?? Hmmmm?
    Because Quinn is closely linked to the Duke family (through Nolan)? Because Quinn is a great point guard prospect? Because sometimes coaches have more than one player per position since players need rest occasionally?

From all accounts, Tyler Thornton is an excellent ball player. He has won in almost every tournament and season he has played in over the last three or four years... he has GREAT vision, is an excellent passer, tenacious defender, can really run a team... AND a great leader. The guy has started on every team he has played on, and he has won a BUNCH of MVP awards over some much more heralded players, including Kendall Marshall and Quinn Cook.

I wouldn't get TOO too caught up in stars and rankings and all of that. Tyler will be a huge asset to Duke, both in practice, in games, and in the locker room over the next four years.

Talking Thinking Ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Lessee... If KI and Austin are one-and-done, then the only non-freshman guards in 2013 are Andre (senior and potentially a wing player), Seth Curry (senior) and Tyler (junior). Seems like there would be room for Quinn Cook (sophomore), doesn't it? And not to mention 2014...

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 10-03-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added a thought