Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Duhon

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Thanks Watzone! You mentioned Thornton and I had a question about him. I kind of saw him as a Chris Duhon recruit...low profile, but has the physical skills and mental aptitude to be an ACC starting PG. I have never seen him in person though, so my question is: how does he compare to Chris strength/size/skill-wise. Or am I just conflating the two because everyone is calling Irving the next JWill
    As I recall, Duhon was a high profile recruit: McD AA, winner of McD 3-point shooting contest, and one of the top backcourt prospects in the country.

Duhaon not low profile

My recollection matches that of BADF. Chris was highly prized, esp by Tubby Smith, who thought for sure he'd convinced Chris to come to UK; and, of course, by K.

Edit title: Neither was Duhon low profile...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    My recollection matches that of BADF. Chris was highly prized, esp by Tubby Smith, who thought for sure he'd convinced Chris to come to UK; and, of course, by K.

Edit title: Neither was Duhon low profile...
    My bad! It was so long ago! I guess I just conflated the fact he came in after JWill and thought he was overlooked by non-Duke fans.

Duhon?

Thanks Watzone! You mentioned Thornton and I had a question about him. I kind of saw him as a Chris Duhon recruit...low profile, but has the physical skills and mental aptitude to be an ACC starting PG. I have never seen him in person though, so my question is: how does he compare to Chris strength/size/skill-wise. Or am I just conflating the two because everyone is calling Irving the next JWill
    Duhon was a Mickie D. He wasn't a low profile recruit. Not top 10, but definitely top 20.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Duhon was a Mickie D. He wasn't a low profile recruit. Not top 10, but definitely top 20.
    According to RSCI, Chris Duhon was the #6 recruit in the country his senior year. According to Clark Francis's Hoop Scoop, he was #3. Of all the services compiled by RSCI, the worst rating Chris had was #10.

So, you're right he wasn't a low profile recruit, although you're wrong about him not being top 10.

Well, now that my gaffe about Duhon has been corrected...can anyone answer the question? How does Thornton compare to Chris physically and skills wise? Can T become a defensive stopper like CD?

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    According to RSCI, Chris Duhon was the #6 recruit in the country his senior year. According to Clark Francis's Hoop Scoop, he was #3. Of all the services compiled by RSCI, the worst rating Chris had was #10.

So, you're right he wasn't a low profile recruit, although you're wrong about him not being top 10.
    Guess I should do more research before I post! And I remember someone saying that Duhon would have been a lottery pick after his freshman year, too. Of course, the rest of his career didn't really follow that trajectory, although he had a very good career.

Well, now that my gaffe about Duhon has been corrected...can anyone answer the question? How does Thornton compare to Chris physically and skills wise? Can T become a defensive stopper like CD?
    I've never seen Tyler play, so I can't answer your question. But from what I've read about him, I'm hoping for more of a Tommy Amaker type (pass-first PG and excellent defender). Because of our depth at guard, I don't expect to see too much of Tyler this year, except in blowouts, but hopefully he'll become a regular in the rotation next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-rolls-duke-su

Article on Duke and 'Cuse marching on with K and Boeheim this summer... very encouraging quote about Miles near the end.
    I absolutely love the comment about Miles Plumlee:

"Miles Plumlee is poised to make a big jump as a player," Wojciechowski said. "He's shown really good leadership, and with two years under his belt, I'm excited about the type of year he will have."
    The 2010-11 Blue Devils will need Miles Plumlee to be a low post beast on defense and on the boards. My expectations are he will rise to the occasion and excel. The jump hook and midrange jump shot he displayed a couple of times last season could make him a dangerous offensive option as well.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I absolutely love the comment about Miles Plumlee:

The 2010-11 Blue Devils will need Miles Plumlee to be a low post beast on defense and on the boards. My expectations are he will rise to the occasion and excel. The jump hook and midrange jump shot he displayed a couple of times last season could make him a dangerous offensive option as well.
    I hope you're right, Bob, because you're focusing on what I think is a key to Duke's season. If Miles (or Mason, or Ryan, preferably two or more of the bunch) has become a plus defender, Duke will be scary good. If not, we'll be good, but vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I hope you're right, Bob, because you're focusing on what I think is a key to Duke's season. If Miles (or Mason, or Ryan, preferably two or more of the bunch) has become a plus defender, Duke will be scary good. If not, we'll be good, but vulnerable.
    Today I was going through the potential line-ups we will see on the court this year (bored while loading a database). The potential vulnerability I see is Mason's fouls. I'm worried that Mason won't be able to stay on the court enough minutes. I'm sure Ryan (or Josh) can come in and take some of those minutes and Kyle can always move to the 4 with a 3 guard lineup but I want that to be a natural progression in the game, not because it has to be.
    Please hurry up and get here season!