Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Summer breakdown of the Duke Basketball Players

Needless to say there is a lot of excitment going into the coming season. Severaal of our players participated in summer events and here is a breakdown of what we saw during the off season. Many of you had views as well, so feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/08/b...tball-players/

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Needless to say there is a lot of excitment going into the coming season. Severaal of our players participated in summer events and here is a breakdown of what we saw during the off season. Many of you had views as well, so feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Nice analysis, Mark. I'm happy to hear Andre has improved his defensive footwork and a bit concerned that the Plumlees didn't work so much on theirs. Sounds like Josh may not get the 10+ mpg I was expecting, but I suppose you never know. Still, if Ryan has improved as much as you say, we should have one of the best 1 through 8 that Duke has seen in a long time.

With Ryan being 6'11", 235, do you think he'll be strong enough to log significant minutes at the 5 defensively?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    With Ryan being 6'11", 235, do you think he'll be strong enough to log significant minutes at the 5 defensively?
    Part of this depends on matchups, but I'd say yes. For one thing, we're not playing a lot of big, bruising, back-to-the-basket centers this season.* Kelly's size alone will create mismatches, and he showed himself to be pretty adept at blocking shots last season, even in limited minutes. If he can master positioning on the defensive blocks, he ought to hold up well against most college post players.

*Who is the best center we'll face this season? Robert Sacre/Curtis Kelly in the second Kansas City game? Maybe Michael Dunigan of Oregon? Tyler Zeller? Reggie Johnson? The list is not exactly imposing...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Thanks Watzone. Its always good to get reports on the players during the summer.

Nice analysis, Mark. I'm happy to hear Andre has improved his defensive footwork and a bit concerned that the Plumlees didn't work so much on theirs. Sounds like Josh may not get the 10+ mpg I was expecting, but I suppose you never know. Still, if Ryan has improved as much as you say, we should have one of the best 1 through 8 that Duke has seen in a long time.

I'm not too concerned with the Plums and feel they'll do fine as they gain on court experience. Josh started slow but ended up doing well down the stretch. Keep in mind he went up against a lot of vets in that first game, including NBA types. Ryan will earn more minutes this season with his versatility. As for the 5, he can play it but it is not his calling and Duke wants him to float outside a bit ala Singler.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Part of this depends on matchups, but I'd say yes. For one thing, we're not playing a lot of big, bruising, back-to-the-basket centers this season.* Kelly's size alone will create mismatches, and he showed himself to be pretty adept at blocking shots last season, even in limited minutes. If he can master positioning on the defensive blocks, he ought to hold up well against most college post players.

*Who is the best center we'll face this season? Robert Sacre/Curtis Kelly in the second Kansas City game? Maybe Michael Dunigan of Oregon? Tyler Zeller? Reggie Johnson? The list is not exactly imposing...
    Great point about centers and a reason I think the Plums will be fine. This is a really weak year in the paint for many schools out there and while Duke has just five [Singler, Plums, Kelly, Josh] real down low types, that should be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

You left off a couple Jordan Williams and Tracy Smith (assuming rumors about academic ineligibility are wrong, or he is eligible 2nd semester), perhaps Josh Southern are also guys Miles has to match up with more.

Ryan Kelly at 6'11" 235 is about an average sized ACC center this year

Tracy Smith NC St 6' 08" 247
    Tyler Zeller UNC 7' 00" 240
    Jordan Williams MD 6' 10" 260
    Josh Southern BC 6' 10" 250
    Mason Plumlee Duke 6' 10" 235
    Jerai Grant Clemson 6' 08" 220
    Victor Davila VaT 6' 08" 245
    Justin Knox UNC 6' 09" 240
    Ty Walker WF 7' 00" 220
    Miles Plumlee Duke 6' 10" 245
    James Johnson UVA 6' 09" 212
    Reggie Johnson Miami 6' 10" 295
    Xavier Gibson FSU 6' 11" 240
    Jon Kreft FSU 7' 00" 240
    Assane Sene UVA 7' 00" 234
    Catalin Baciu Clemson 7' 02" 245
    Brad Sheehan GaT 7' 00" 235
    Jordan Vandenberg NC St 7' 00" 230
    Carson Desrosiers WF 6' 10" 210
    John Brandenburg UVA 6' 11" 240
    Cadarian Raines VaT 6' 06" 210 if Allan Chaney VaT 6' 09" 235 cannot play for Seth Greenberg this year

Interesting to hear that Miles has less than 1% body fat.

Hey mason... Mason... MASON !

Great point about centers and a reason I think the Plums will be fine. This is a really weak year in the paint for many schools out there and while Duke has just five [Singler, Plums, Kelly, Josh] real down low types, that should be more than enough.

It was great to read the analysis of our guys from summer league observers. I also think our frontcourt is in great shape with the five player rotation WATZONE lists. Looking into my crystal ball at this point ( haaaa ), I see Miles and Ryan emerging to join Kyle in the frontcourt, with Kyrie and Nolan manning the perimeter out of the gate.

If you figure that Coach K will go "BIG", then the frontcourt will look like the above, with some Josh thrown in. So, what about Mason? I think HE is the hardest player to size up on our roster... he can board, pass the ball, and pull off at least one signature move every game or two. But can he score the ball, defend, and give us the consistency we are looking for ?? Or, will Andre move ahead of him in the rotation, at the other (so-called) "4" ? Right now my gut feeling is, Mason continues to be a complimentary player, until he gets the same fire burning in his stomach that RYAN KELLY has ... !

If he gets that, those PRACTICES just a few weeks down the road are going to be BRUTAL. And the competition between all our 6'4" and under guys will probably equal that .....

WOW, I cannot wait ! Oh yeah... GO DUKE ( as if ! )

I know this is really Watzone's thread, and I don't know whether Airowe has posted it in another thread that I couldn't find (and I apologize if he has), but I got this link from Airowe's twitter: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/19/d...from-team-usa/

It's a good read, but two quotes stood out for me:

Wright recruited Irving to Villanova, so he knows just exactly what Duke’s backcourt will look like. “Scary, scary, because both of them can play both spots,” Wright said. “They’re guards. They’re not point guards or two guards. They can bring it up, they can get you in the offense, and they can create for other people. They’re scary.”
    But to me, the more interesting quote by Wright was when he was talking about the select team that scrimmaged Team USA: "Kyle has been our best shooter."

If Kyle has become that good a shooter, combined with Nolan, Seth, Andre, Kyrie and Ryan (pretty good shooter for a 6'11" guy), then wow. Just wow. Considering how well Kyrie, Nolan, and Seth handle the ball, and how much of a mismatch Kyle is at his position, not to mention how well the MPs can convert alley-oops, etc., how are other teams going to defend us?

I know this is really Watzone's thread, and I don't know whether Airowe has posted it in another thread that I couldn't find (and I apologize if he has), but I got this link from Airowe's twitter: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/19/d...from-team-usa/

It's a good read, but two quotes stood out for me:

But to me, the more interesting quote by Wright was when he was talking about the select team that scrimmaged Team USA: "Kyle has been our best shooter."

If Kyle has become that good a shooter, combined with Nolan, Seth, Andre, Kyrie and Ryan (pretty good shooter for a 6'11" guy), then wow. Just wow. Considering how well Kyrie, Nolan, and Seth handle the ball, and how much of a mismatch Kyle is at his position, not to mention how well the MPs can convert alley-oops, etc., how are other teams going to defend us?
    Yep, though it won't be the starting lineup, the set with Kyrie and Plumlees resting:

Seth or Nolan

Nolan or Seth

Dre

Kyle the senior

Ryan (Kyle the frosh)

is impossible to defend with a normal complement of two bigs.

With both of them now being 235 pounds, they can do a decent enough job on defense to accomodate so much offense.

And then when defenders are tired, in comes Kyrie the ankle breaker and the Plumlee dunking company.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Yep, though it won't be the starting lineup, the set with Kyrie and Plumlees resting:

Seth or Nolan

Nolan or Seth

Dre

Kyle the senior

Ryan (Kyle the frosh)

is impossible to defend with a normal complement of two bigs.

With both of them now being 235 pounds, they can do a decent enough job on defense to accomodate so much offense.

And then when defenders are tired, in comes Kyrie the ankle breaker and the Plumlee dunking company.
    That first lineup will be our Zone-Buster. The second lineup will be our Ego-Deflator.

I really like that first lineup to put up a lot of points from the outside, and it's really not that small...

Watzone: Very nice report. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That first lineup will be our Zone-Buster. The second lineup will be our Ego-Deflator.

I really like that first lineup to put up a lot of points from the outside, and it's really not that small...
    Agreed. Defending that 3pt shooting line up will be hell. Wonder if K will ever use it? Maybe if we're ever down a lot of points and need to get back in a hurry (emphasis on 'ever')?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

9 of 10

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Agreed. Defending that 3pt shooting line up will be hell. Wonder if K will ever use it? Maybe if we're ever down a lot of points and need to get back in a hurry (emphasis on 'ever')?
    While we can certainly put some squads that have more lethality from 3, it will be pretty hard for K to put a team on the floor that doesn't have at least 4 guys that could reasonably be expected to make a 3 if left open to take it. I only left Josh out of the 9 of 10 b/c I haven't heard/seen one way or the other if he can or likes to shoot 3s.
    Nolan: yes Kyle: yes Andre: yes Seth: yes Kyrie: yes (based on reptn) Ryan: yes (didn't light it up last year but has a good rep) Mason: (ibid) Miles: (1-1 lifetime) Tyler: (reputed).
    If anyone knows anything about Josh's 3pt ability I'd like to hear it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Interesting to hear that Miles has less than 1% body fat.
    How do you think he was able to leap over Mason?
    Thanks for the report Watzone.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Season can't start soon enough. Miles is a scary dunker. I expect a few facials this year (Deron Washington style)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-rolls-duke-su

Article on Duke and 'Cuse marching on with K and Boeheim this summer... very encouraging quote about Miles near the end.

"We're going to have really good depth and can go a number of different ways," Wojciechowski said. "We have much more perimeter depth than last year. Last year, we rode Nolan and Jon [Scheyer] and Kyle the whole game, every game. Kyrie is outstanding, and Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins and [freshman guard] Tyler Thornton will all help us. I'm really encouraged."

Having two established players who won a national title returning, Smith and Singler, gives Duke an advantage heading into the season. But not having Scheyer, Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas, three key pieces from a season ago, means there will be plenty of new faces who will put their own stamp on this squad.

A year or two ago, no one could have thought that replacing Zoubek would be a major concern. But it is. And the Plumlee brothers, Mason and Miles, as well as Ryan Kelly and apparently freshman Josh Hairston, will need to have major roles for the Blue Devils to win again.

Wojciechowski is already seeing marked improvement.

"Miles Plumlee is poised to make a big jump as a player," Wojciechowski said. "He's shown really good leadership, and with two years under his belt, I'm excited about the type of year he will have."

Thanks Watzone! You mentioned Thornton and I had a question about him. I kind of saw him as a Chris Duhon recruit...low profile, but has the physical skills and mental aptitude to be an ACC starting PG. I have never seen him in person though, so my question is: how does he compare to Chris strength/size/skill-wise. Or am I just conflating the two because everyone is calling Irving the next JWill