Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Miles Dunks over Mason

April 1

wow. not sure what else I can say.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I keep waiting for the time that Miles catches a pass on the break and jumps over a guard or wing trying to take a charge, and throws down a nasty dunk. It almost happened in one of the early season games last year, but on that play he dribbled the length of the court, messed his steps up and plowed into the guy for a charge.

I still say it will happen eventually though. He just needs the pass to be in the correct place at the correct time. Gee, wonder who on this year's team would be capable of delivering such a pass....let me think on that and get back with you...

Really?

I was a little embarrassed by this being on the front page at yahoo. While It's good to see us getting some national attention, I really expected this to have more of a WOW factor. It was built up in the yahoo article as if it was draw-dropping. But after watching it, it was kind of a let down. I can't help but wonder if they(rivals) did it to spark controversy and bring out the Duke haters. I can just see people around the nation clicking to watch it and going, "that's it?"

The dunk was OK, but I've seen better from Miles and Mason during real game action for God's sake.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but of all the good things or highlights they could have chosen to put on the front page at yahoo, this wouldn't have made my top 100. I just thought it was weak as far as front page news goes.

If there is no WOW factor here for you then I would like to see you get your butt over 6'6" (Mason bends a little) of the ground.

Wow, awesome!

And for a near 7 footer to dunk over another almost 7 foot guy is INSANE. If you don't get that... well, you are too hard to impress.

I wish there was a video of when Miles did that to Zoubek at practice last year.

The UNC plants at Deadspin are selling this as "Duke white guy jumps over other Duke white guy and white guys watching cheer." They don't get that this is a 7 footer jumping over a 7 footer either. They don't seem to realize that the "white guys watching" are kids attending some sort of camp, not Duke students. Oh well, anything to perpetuate the myth of Duke as a douchy and lily-white institution, right? It's funny, because UNC is 68% white while Duke is only 51% white. Not that such a thing should matter...

Quote Originally Posted by just a lemma View Post
    The UNC plants at Deadspin are selling this as "Duke white guy jumps over other Duke white guy and white guys watching cheer." They don't get that this is a 7 footer jumping over a 7 footer either. They don't seem to realize that the "white guys watching" are kids attending some sort of camp, not Duke students. Oh well, anything to perpetuate the myth of Duke as a douchy and lily-white institution, right? It's funny, because UNC is 68% white while Duke is only 51% white. Not that such a thing should matter...
    Don't confuse the people down the road with FACTS!

My boss, who doesn't watch sports, was sufficiently impressed to email this to me.

Un-feat

Yes, jumping over Hakeem Olajuwon to slam dunk a basketball 10 feet in the air is a plebeian feat. Yawn. More like un-feat. Try a 300-foot tree or driving a car off a waterfall and dunking out the passenger's side window and then we'll talk.

Not trying to be Reagan Raw Deal here but, as a Duke fan, I'm abashed at this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Yes, jumping over Hakeem Olajuwon to slam dunk a basketball 10 feet in the air is a plebeian feat. Yawn. More like un-feat. Try a 300-foot tree or driving a car off a waterfall and dunking out the passenger's side window and then we'll talk.

Not trying to be Reagan Raw Deal here but, as a Duke fan, I'm abashed at this whole thing.
    You were abashed at a trick meant to impress some kids at a basketball camp? A trick that impressed them mightily, judging by the reaction?

Weird. Looked like great fun to me!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Agreed, but

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

It's the 17th of August, what do you expect us to talk about?

sagegrouse

I'm just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post
    If there is no WOW factor here for you then I would like to see you get your butt over 6'6" (Mason bends a little) of the ground.

I used to be able to dunk over my friend David's 6'1" frame when I was 5'11". I actually won a JV dunk contest in high-school with that dunk. A big part of completing that dunk was him stooping down, but more importantly, me pushing off his shoulders much like Miles did. I don't want to get into an argument about it being harder for him because he's taller, I'm just stating the point that the dunk is not that hard.

I'm not on a basketball scholarship at Duke, nor was my high-school dunk put on the front page at yahoo.

I'm just saying, it served it's purpose which was to entertain young camp kids, which I'm sure it did. I just really believe in the "act like you've been there before" mentality, and going ga ga over this dunk seems a little weak to me. And yahoo/rivals didn't help us any by making it a big story.

If he does it in a game that in a game this year(not over Mason), then I will be the first to start a thread called "Then Dunk of The Year", a place we can all show our man love for Miles' dunking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    You were abashed at a trick meant to impress some kids at a basketball camp? A trick that impressed them mightily, judging by the reaction?

Weird. Looked like great fun to me!
    Pretty sure he was kidding

Pretty sure he was kidding
    He was.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I used to be able to dunk over my friend David's 6'1" frame when I was 5'11". I actually won a JV dunk contest in high-school with that dunk. A big part of completing that dunk was him stooping down, but more importantly, me pushing off his shoulders much like Miles did. I don't want to get into an argument about it being harder for him because he's taller, I'm just stating the point that the dunk is not that hard.

I'm not on a basketball scholarship at Duke, nor was my high-school dunk put on the front page at yahoo.

I'm just saying, it served it's purpose which was to entertain young camp kids, which I'm sure it did. I just really believe in the "act like you've been there before" mentality, and going ga ga over this dunk seems a little weak to me. And yahoo/rivals didn't help us any by making it a big story.

If he does it in a game that in a game this year(not over Mason), then I will be the first to start a thread called "Then Dunk of The Year", a place we can all show our man love for Miles' dunking ability.
    To us, not-capable-of-dunking mortals, that was sorta kinda big deal. Man, I'm not much taller than you and I maybe dunked once (I'm not sure Playschool rims count). So, kudos to your leaping prowess. Any video?

And maybe, yes, it's a type of "ramping up" technique. But, really, why call the magician on his slight of hand? Enjoy the show. Miles (and Bros) has serious athletic skill, especially for his height and anything to promote Duke this year is greatly appreciated because it's going to be a wild, wild season.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    But, really, why call the magician on his slight of hand? Enjoy the show. Miles (and Bros) has serious athletic skill, especially for his height and anything to promote Duke this year is greatly appreciated because it's going to be a wild, wild season.
    I think he have the right to voice our opinion on the dunk. While I think the dunk was very impressive, I do understand left hook lacey's point - the dunk has been done many times before in practice, NBA dunk competitions, and street ball players. It's impressive, but it's not a "wow" dunk like Iggy's ball-off-behind-the-backboard dunk a few years back in the NBA dunk competition (that was THE "wow" dunk for me) or VC doing the tea-bag. I also voice left hook lacey's statement about the difference of doing this in-game vs practice. The Brothers Plumlee are extremely athletic, but I'm not sure if that dunk was the most impressive move I've seen either of them do.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by just a lemma View Post
    The are just worrried that the next 7 footer Miles will Dunk over will be Henson or Zeller.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The are just worrried that the next 7 footer Miles will Dunk over will be Henson or Zeller.
    I'm not sure if anyone can dunk over Henson - he would get blown away by the wind velocity produced by the dunker
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone can dunk over Henson - he would get blown away by the wind velocity produced by the dunker
    Or sucked towards them like the undertow of an ocean wave.