NCAA Summer Basketball

Kentucky is playing a three game series in Canada and right now are leading "Bigly" yes "Bigly" over some school named Lancer. This game is currently on Fox Sports South and some idot Kentucky broadcaster has not only been trashing the refs in this meaningless preseason exhibition, but he just used a word that doesnt even exist..."Bigly". I'm not sure if thats how you spell it but it's not even a word so I guess it doesnt matter

Anyway, I have some questions about these summer games.

1. I thought you were only allowed one game every four (five?) years. If this is true, how does Kentucky get to play 3 games in one week?

2. I also thought these summer games were supposed to be private, with no media or fans, like UNC's game with Vanderbilt last year (which they lost of course)

3. When will Duke play in one of these games again?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post

1. I thought you were only allowed one game every four (five?) years. If this is true, how does Kentucky get to play 3 games in one week?

2. I also thought these summer games were supposed to be private, with no media or fans, like UNC's game with Vanderbilt last year (which they lost of course)

1. Pretty sure it's one trip on which a team can play multiple games. I know that Duke played several games on its London trip in 2002.

2. I think that only applies to intercollegiate scrimmages here in the U.S. I think it was Deslok that mentioned that he attended one of Duke's London games.

3. Not before 2013. Duke's coaching staff has other responsibilities during the next few summers.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Kentucky is playing a three game series in Canada and right now are leading "Bigly" yes "Bigly" over some school named Lancer. This game is currently on Fox Sports South and some idot Kentucky broadcaster has not only been trashing the refs in this meaningless preseason exhibition, but he just used a word that doesnt even exist..."Bigly". I'm not sure if thats how you spell it but it's not even a word so I guess it doesnt matter

This is actually not the same thing as the scrimmage last year between unc and Vandy. That scrimmage came after the official start of practice (Oct 15). Duke always plays 2 exhibition games prior to the first regular season game. Those exhibition games are played just like a real game.

Schools can choose to play those exhibition games or can opt for the private scrimmages like unc has done the last 2 years. The private scrimmages are not covered by the media.

I assume the Kentucky deal in Canada is the same thing that unc is doing in the Bahama's. Every "x" amount of years, teams can go to another country and play a series of exhibition games during the summer. Duke has taken advantage of this rule as well in the past. But those trips and games are in the summer well before the official start of practice. Hope this helps.