Krzyzewski Frowns on Isiah Thomas’s Situation

Coach K speaks out on the puzzling return of Isiah Thomas to the Knicks as a consultant

When Mike Krzyzewski speaks, people in the basketball world — college and professional — tend to listen. On Tuesday, Krzyzewski voiced his opposition to having a college coach double as a consultant for an N.B.A. team. ...

“If you’re going to coach in college, just coach in college,” Krzyzewski said after putting his national team of N.B.A. players through a workout in Manhattan in preparation for the World Championship in Turkey this month. “I just think it’s better if it’s separate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/sp...tml?ref=sports

Interesting observation later in the article by South Alabama coach Ronnie Arrow, who identifies (who else would be the first name to come to mind?) Coach Calipari by name as someone who might enter the morally grey area of NBA "consultant" to expand his influence as a college

ironic?

Coach K makes these statements while coaching an Olympic team of NBA players. Keep it separate?

Clearly two completely distinct situations, but I think it's kind of funny. If I were a hater, instead of a fawning fanboy of Duke and Coach K, I think this would be great fodder for complaint, no? Krzyzewski essentially with a legal, sanctioned opportunity to be a consultant / coach for NBA players and reap the rewards of being in an NBA level environment. Great for him and for Duke and all perfectly by the book. And he even gets to say, "Roy shouldn't be a consultant for the Bobcats and I shouldn't be a consultant for the Bulls", yada yada.

Again, I fully understand these are very different. I think Boeheim's point is spot on. If he works for the Nets, what's he supposed to do when some other team comes talking to him about his player?

I think this is a very dangerous precedent. Isiah Thomas has grown into a particularly loathsome figure in the basketball world, in my opinion. How does FIU feel about this?
    Last edited by ElSid; 08-11-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by ElSid View Post
    Coach K makes these statements while coaching an Olympic team of NBA players. Keep it separate?

Clearly two completely distinct situations, but I think it's kind of funny. If I were a hater, instead of a fawning fanboy of Duke and Coach K, I think this would be great fodder for complaint, no? Krzyzewski essentially with a legal, sanctioned opportunity to be a consultant / coach for NBA players and reap the rewards of being in an NBA level environment. Great for him and for Duke and all perfectly by the book. And he even gets to say, "Roy shouldn't be a consultant for the Bobcats and I shouldn't be a consultant for the Bulls", yada yada.

Again, I fully understand these are very different. I think Boeheim's point is spot on. If he works for the Nets, what's he supposed to do when some other team comes talking to him about his player?

I think this is a very dangerous precedent. Isiah Thomas has grown into a particularly loathsome figure in the basketball world, in my opinion. How does FIU feel about this?
    I thought the same thoughts when I read Coach K's comment, especially hit me with the "keep it separate" part. Then, thinking more about it, I think the difference is that Coach K is not, in any way, a "consultant" (paid or otherwise) for any NBA team. Maybe just the opposite, in fact... he gets to work with players from many NBA teams all the while not caring or knowing about their respective teams. Advantage? sure... gets to say he coaches NBA players, NBA players comment about playing for Coach K, etc. But "conflict"... I'm not so sure. But his comment can certainly be taken in a bad light...

Yeah, kind of funny... also, ya think this wording by the NYT writer was incidental? '“If you’re going to coach in college, just coach in college,” Krzyzewski said after putting his national team of N.B.A. players through a workout in Manhattan in preparation for the World Championship in Turkey this month.'

It might be more of his support of a friend who suddenly has a less than stellar individual perhaps looking to micro manage or interfere with affairs. Boy that owner (Knicks) must be so insecure.

ESPN published another part of the quote that I didn't see in the Times piece.

"Have we served as consultants to the pros? Yeah," Krzyzewski said. "People call us before the draft, 'What do you think of this, what do you think of that?' I think it's better to have it like that."

This second part seems to soften his criticism of Isiah consulting, it seems to confine it to him getting pay checks from both an NBA team and NCAA member institution. From what I gather, he doesn't have a problem with anyone giving advice, but having a second job doing it is a step too far.

To be fair...

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    ESPN published another part of the quote that I didn't see in the Times piece.

"Have we served as consultants to the pros? Yeah," Krzyzewski said. "People call us before the draft, 'What do you think of this, what do you think of that?' I think it's better to have it like that."

This second part seems to soften his criticism of Isiah consulting, it seems to confine it to him getting pay checks from both an NBA team and NCAA member institution. From what I gather, he doesn't have a problem with anyone giving advice, but having a second job doing it is a step too far.
    Didn't UT headwomen's basketball coach Pat Summit work for the Washington Mystics as a consultant shortly after drafting one of her players (Tameka Holdsclaw)? And I don't recall Coach K or anyone else commenting on that move by Pat.

Now before anyone shoots my head off, I happen to agree with Coach K on working for both a University as a basketball headcoach and simultaneously working for a NBA franchise, in terms of getting paychecks. I think it can create more grey area and additional advantages for coaches. Saying that, I also agree and believe that Duke and Coach K haters will point to K's statements as being hypercritical since his role as the US Olympic coach has been considered by some of his rivals as an unfair competitive advantage.

Conflict of Interest

Totally apart from the very valid question about the value, if any, of a recommendation by Isiah to anyone but the pathetic Knicks, I think the dual salary structure presents an unavoidable conflict of interest which will work only to the detriment of his FIU recruits. How can he respond to inquiries by other NBA teams about his own players (if any ?? ) when his first loyalty is to the Knicks or is it to his own FIU players??. No such conflict applies when Coach K donates his services to team USA- hmm Could Caliapari become a certified agent concurrently with being a NCAA Coach if he promised to keep his roles separate until after the freshman year for his players? Actually I see less of a conflict of interest to his players from someone being both an NBA certified agent and coach than merely being a consultant for one NBA team and a coach at the same time??? although the former clearly would not be permitted.

No Matter -- Deal is Off

The consulting deal is off. Someone politely explained to Isiah that the consultancy arrangement with the Knicks would violate "certain NBA bylaws."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/sp...s.html?_r=1&hp

Some people might have checked that out ahead of time...

Anyway, K's criticism is featured prominently in the article, giving him "told you so" rights.

Thumbs up

deal rejected by NBA ...

and New Yorkers go wild!!!!!

hahahahaha. nice. knicks dodged one there.

thomas just seems like a putrid soul to me. not sure why. the smugness? the sexual harassment charge. storming off the court before the game was over against the bulls back in the day. he seems like a bad sport and an entitled jerk.

also thanks for the extra context in the coach k quotes. sorta clears up the potential ambiguity i and others read into the article. honestly, i think coach k is sincere when he says he does the olympic thing because he loves his country and he loves basketball and wants to be a better coach. honesty makes everything easier and less stressful...people that have a problem with coach k for having the position he does with the US team, well it's their problem. go duke. U-S-A.

As is noted on the front page of DBR, a NYT columnist chimes in regarding the latest Thomas debacle with a swipe at K

The basketball universe is safe for business as usual, with the usual suspects retaining all the power...

Mike Krzyzewski, one of the most powerful figures in basketball, complained that Thomas should not have two jobs, lest he gain too much leverage with recruits. Interesting.

Coach K knows leverage. This is the same coach who did commercials for American Express while coaching Duke. He still hosts a show — Basketball and Beyond — on XM radio. He was head coach of the United States 2008 Olympic team and now stands in the middle of the huddle of the United States team that will compete in the world championships this month in Turkey. As the most powerful figure in USA Basketball, Krzyzewski has unchecked access to the top high school talent.

Each one of these coaching assignments puts Krzyzewski and his assistants in position to impress recruits with their access to N.B.A. stars — and by extension, the N.B.A. And it is no different than what he claimed Thomas should not be allowed to do — hold dual roles as a college coach and a Knicks consultant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/sp...tml?ref=sports

DBR states the columnist was Bob Herbert - it was Bill Rhoden, but both Herbert and Rhoden view
    events through the same prism (see, e.g. - "Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete" by William C. Rhoden) so if Herbert would have been the author it would not have surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    As is noted on the front page of DBR, a NYT columnist chimes in regarding the latest Thomas debacle with a swipe at K

The basketball universe is safe for business as usual, with the usual suspects retaining all the power...

Mike Krzyzewski, one of the most powerful figures in basketball, complained that Thomas should not have two jobs, lest he gain too much leverage with recruits. Interesting.

Coach K knows leverage. This is the same coach who did commercials for American Express while coaching Duke. He still hosts a show — Basketball and Beyond — on XM radio. He was head coach of the United States 2008 Olympic team and now stands in the middle of the huddle of the United States team that will compete in the world championships this month in Turkey. As the most powerful figure in USA Basketball, Krzyzewski has unchecked access to the top high school talent.

Each one of these coaching assignments puts Krzyzewski and his assistants in position to impress recruits with their access to N.B.A. stars — and by extension, the N.B.A. And it is no different than what he claimed Thomas should not be allowed to do — hold dual roles as a college coach and a Knicks consultant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/sp...tml?ref=sports

DBR states the columnist was Bob Herbert - it was Bill Rhoden, but both Herbert and Rhoden view
    events through the same prism (see, e.g. - "Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete" by William C. Rhoden) so if Herbert would have been the author it would not have surprised me.
    To be technical, the U.S. team doesn't HAVE to be composed of NBA players. College players are eligible for the national team as well as NBDL or American players that play in Europe. It just so happens that the players that will be from the NBA. In my mind, that doesn't give him an unfair advantage and it's not the same as being a paid consultant for a NBA team, where you will do nothing but interact with a NBA team and are paid to provide advice on how they should better themselves as a team and franchise (read: player personnel decisions, draft picks).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I also suspect K was talking about conflicting time commitments. How can you focus your time and energy coaching a college team and AT THE SAME TIME DURING THE SAME SEASON be a consultant to an NBA team? You can't split your time like that. Of course it's a moot point now. But we should acknowledge that K is not only donating his time but also doing it in the off season.

Seriously?

You don't see a difference in being a "consultant" for an NBA team and voluntarily being part of the coaching staff for the Olympics? So, the Army general who consults with Lockheed would be no different from the general who's asked to be 2010 chairman of fund raising for the Boy's Clubs of America?

Come on ... There's no hypocrisy here. Team USA's not going to draft kids and turn them into millionaires. The Knicks will, however. While Coach K can say, "As I was explaining to Kobe ..." Isiah can say, "I'll promise you the Knicks will, at least, give you a look."

The chairman for the Boy's Club can introduce you to the CEO of Starbucks, who is also on the board. The Lockheed consultant can set up a lunch with the guy who hires retired military types. Think there's no difference?

Apples and rutabagas, folks. K's no hypocrite.

I agree with people who think this whole thing is dumb. The difference between K and Isiah is that Isiah is working for a NBA team helping them judge talent. He could then turn around and promise recruits if you come here I can get you a work out with the Knicks and maybe draft you. K could only promise a chance to practice with select team. One includes a possibility of money the other just a chance to make you a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    Seriously?

You don't see a difference in being a "consultant" for an NBA team and voluntarily being part of the coaching staff for the Olympics? So, the Army general who consults with Lockheed would be no different from the general who's asked to be 2010 chairman of fund raising for the Boy's Clubs of America?

Come on ... There's no hypocrisy here. Team USA's not going to draft kids and turn them into millionaires. The Knicks will, however. While Coach K can say, "As I was explaining to Kobe ..." Isiah can say, "I'll promise you the Knicks will, at least, give you a look."

The chairman for the Boy's Club can introduce you to the CEO of Starbucks, who is also on the board. The Lockheed consultant can set up a lunch with the guy who hires retired military types. Think there's no difference?

Apples and rutabagas, folks. K's no hypocrite.
    I hope you're the REAL larry sanders.

And, yeah, you're preaching to the choir.

Point of my posts was that k's comments could be construed (and definitely were, per the NYT article) as somewhat questionable...and if one wanted to make a thing out of the fact that k gets a benefit from his position that a lot of other college coaches don't, one could. and one or two did.

funny though, right? what i said, essentially, was "wait and watch...these comments are going to be taken out of context and made to paint k as a hypocrite". and that's what happened.

know your enemy.

I hope you're the REAL larry sanders.

And, yeah, you're preaching to the choir.

Point of my posts was that k's comments could be construed (and definitely were, per the NYT article) as somewhat questionable...and if one wanted to make a thing out of the fact that k gets a benefit from his position that a lot of other college coaches don't, one could. and one or two did.

funny though, right? what i said, essentially, was "wait and watch...these comments are going to be taken out of context and made to paint k as a hypocrite". and that's what happened.

know your enemy.
    The real Larry SAUNDERS would be more Duke-related.

http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/larry_saunders.htm
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!