Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post
    OMG, just what kind of Duke fan are you?

Mike D

Seriously, just how much of a Duke fan are you?
    Been a supporter of the team for a few years and have seen a few games live and a few more on TV. Read a bit about the team and have been known to participate in a discussion or two on this board.

Why? Are you going to tell me Dunleavy is a starter? Josh? Shav? JJ? Zoubs?

If you watched the Road to Redemption series on ESPN leading up to the 08 Olympics, you saw how Coach K set up a few hours where the Redeem team talked, thanked, and played in front of the soldiers. It was touching seeing Wade tear up thanking a soldier who had lost his sight while serving abroad, and others took time out while playing to personally speak with these soldiers. I imagine this event was no different.

Talking Public Service Means a Public Life

Quote Originally Posted by g4orce View Post
    Not to thread-jack or anything, but I thought this was a fairly classless thing to do. Let's play basketball in front on wounded soldiers who can't play.

I have no problem him having some fun on his birthday, but keep it in that perspective, not some event staged for the cameras.
    Holy cow! When, years ago, we visited Versailles, we heard a lot about the lives of Louis XIV and the French kings of the era. They lived a public life. They were born surrounded by witnesses, for reasons having to do with the succession to the throne; they were raised in a public way; they ruled with citizens coming to see them every day, many paying to serve as courtiers-for-a-day; and they died in the attendance of many other people. The President of the United States, for his four years or eight years in office, lives the same way.

Having NBA stars play with the President in front of wounded service men and women ain't ever gonna be done without lots of cameras present. That's the way the world works. If the White House didn't arrange for cameras and reporting, the Defense Department would have done so ... or the military services. Or the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen present would have taken a gazillion pictures. This was never going to be a secret event. And, I would have to think, it was a really special moment for those in attendance.

Moreover, since no one is housed in the facility at Fort Meyers where the game took place, everyone in attendance would have to be transported, and one would assume only those who wanted to go went.

Or maybe I don't understand your problem with the event...

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Missed my point. The players he invited were all exceptional (some off the court). I have trouble coming up with a white American that starts in the NBA, let alone coming up with an exceptional one. My point was that it WASN'T racism, except to the extent someone felt compelled to invite a white guy.
    In addition to Mike Dunleavy, which someone else mentioned, off the top of my head you Troy Murphy (on Dun's own team) Kirk Hinrich, Mike Miller, and Steve Blake has actually started about 60% of his career in the NBA. Brad Miller was a starter earlier in his career but is getting older now. I also believe Spencer Hawes has started most of his games with the Kings, or at least did this past year.

To part of your point, though, none of these players are particularly exceptional. Its funny, my dad called me a couple months ago from a cocktail party where someone had posed the question "who is the best white, american basketball player in the NBA today" Given his body of work, and the fact that I was in the car, all I could come up with was Kirk Hinrich. The only other person I could think of was Mike Miller, who has similar career stats to Hinrich.

Well if Bill Russell and Magic could play, no reason Larry Bird or Jerry West or any number of other old guys could not suit up.

Maybe just working on his Spanish/Latino fanbase, or to appease his wife who was vacationing in Spain.

Been a supporter of the team for a few years and have seen a few games live and a few more on TV. Read a bit about the team and have been known to participate in a discussion or two on this board.

Why? Are you going to tell me Dunleavy is a starter? Josh? Shav? JJ? Zoubs?
    Me smells a troll!

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Well if Bill Russell and Magic could play, no reason Larry Bird or Jerry West or any number of other old guys could not suit up.

Maybe just working on his Spanish/Latino fanbase, or to appease his wife who was vacationing in Spain.
    This thread is rapidly descending into uncharted depths of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by g4orce View Post
    Not to thread-jack or anything, but I thought this was a fairly classless thing to do. Let's play basketball in front on wounded soldiers who can't play.

I have no problem him having some fun on his birthday, but keep it in that perspective, not some event staged for the cameras.
    Wait...what happened to the little icons that allow me to actively dislike something? This would get a double.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    So now does this mean POTUS will pick Duke to win the 2011 NCAA Tourney?
    I betcha he will...provided the regular season goes as planned. Any bball fan with a shred of objectivity should be able to recognize Duke has the most talent heading into the season. He's a reasonable guy.

Missed my point. The players he invited were all exceptional (some off the court). I have trouble coming up with a white American that starts in the NBA, let alone coming up with an exceptional one. My point was that it WASN'T racism, except to the extent someone felt compelled to invite a white guy.
    Not that it matters, but Shane has a white mom.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by jjh1080 View Post
    Me smells a troll!
    Me thinks that someone's troll detector needs to be re-calibrated!

I have no issues with the game. I think it was a nice gesture for the troops. The Prez loves hoops and really nothing is wrong with that. The NBA guys took time out of their lives to participate and I imagine the troops appreciated the event as well.

I am with Jason Evans on this one, the event should be seen as a positive thing rather than a "me" moment for the POTUS. I am pretty sure he could invite NBA guys over anytime he wanted to for hoops and most guys would show up. This event was for the guys watching the action, not for the guys playing.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Time to shut this down. Too much politics entering the fray.

This thread is CLOSED.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”