Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Not only did Otha not play, the losses of Muhammed and Hoover and even Bridges have really hurt the ruinning game. I feel bad for Stevie as he has to consider what the rest of his career is going to look like and if he'll ever have a QB qho can get him the ball like Jake did.

For a team that seemingly was so close last year I can't believe they have fallen off so far. I still think the Defense is really good, as well as the running backs. The OI-Line has been putrid in pass blocking and the run. Jordan Gross might be the most over rated of them. We could have used Otah, but without any sort of passinbg attack any team can put 9 in the box and load up.

I personally don't mind Foxy, and it seems he has distanced himself from some of the personnel decisions made during the offseason and draft.

We picked up Gilbet as a FA, so the worst draft choice we had would have to be Jason Peters...a DL out of Oklahoma or Nebraska...but agaibn, he at least was on the field. Should we pull a Delango v. Falcons ala 2007 and have someone direct snap the ball to Armanti like we did against the Falcons? Seven straight running plays, and we actually won that game! That was the precursor to the Wildcat. Who knew Henning had that much creativity? Makes one wonder whether Jeff Davidson is responsible for the vanilla offense or if it is Fox, or even higher up.

We have a young core that could be good in a couple of years, but we deperately need a veteran QB to lead the team for a while. I just don't think Clausen is going to get much better, but at least he is going to get some on the job training the rest of the year.

Watching our offense is truly painful...at least I've got my Sunday's back and never have to decide whether to watch College BBall or the Pampers.

New QB

According to SI, the Panthers are going to start St Pierre at QB this week. He was just signed to the practice squad last week. The season is really over.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    According to SI, the Panthers are going to start St Pierre at QB this week. He was just signed to the practice squad last week. The season is really over.
    is foxxy TRYING to get fired so he can move on down to dallas?

this is just ridiculous....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    is foxxy TRYING to get fired so he can move on down to dallas?

this is just ridiculous....
    It's pretty sad that a guy signed over the weekend is better than your third string guy (Pike). That being said, with Moore and Clausen both out, I'm not sure it would have mattered much one way or the other.
    "There can BE only one."

A very depressing loss. Things were looking so good at the end of the first half. I'm curious after playing so well these past few games, why didn't Mike Goodson get more touches? He's a threat to not only run with the ball, but an excellent receiver out of the backfield as well.

Ok now that the season is finally over for the panthers I think its time for us to look ahead for them. IMHO we have a lot of really good pieces to work with her in Carolina.

Positives:
    3 Stellar rbs
    Young wr core that showed some good things
    Young guys got valuable expeirence

Negatives:
    We need someone to throw the ball
    We need someone to throw the ball. Oops did I say that twice?
    We need a frickin QB!!!!
    Need another safety
    Need a couple d-line men (DT and DE)
    Could use depth at o-line

Here is what I would like to see happen:

First hire a coach (Gruden, Cowher, Rob Ryan, Stanfords coach)

Second draft Andrew Luck!!!! Kid is a stud and as close to a sure fire pick at qb since Peyton Manning was out of college. (Not my words)

Third... Make trades. IMO we got 2 very valuable players we could trade. One is our rbs, either D-will, Stewart, or Goodson. D-will makes the most since to trade his contract is expiring and Stewart and Goodson have done well in his absense plus he would have high value. The other (and I really dont want to see this one) is Steve Smith. Smith is nearing the end of his prime and people say Smith may harm a young qbs development (not sure I believe it but I can see where it stems from). Wrs are always coveted in the NFL and Smith is one of the best but a new coach may see that he can get by on Gettis, LaFell, Clowney and maybe draft another wr.

D-wills trade value should be a 1st and 3rd round pick and Smith is worth a 1st as well.

Will post more later but I gotta leave for a while. Anyone else have thoughts on what could or should be done? Anyone think im crazy? Anyone else crazy?

So much for Andrew Luck

Maybe we could get AJ Green or Nick Fairley or Bowers.
    Im hoping AJ though

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    So much for Andrew Luck

Maybe we could get AJ Green or Nick Fairley or Bowers.
    Im hoping AJ though
    You've gotta think they will be looking to trade out of the 1 spot now that Luck is out of the picture. He was the one guy that was worth it to them. Trading out would be wise since they don't want to pay huge bucks, and they need more solid players rather than one with a giant guarranteed contract that won't be much better than those picked later in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    You've gotta think they will be looking to trade out of the 1 spot now that Luck is out of the picture. He was the one guy that was worth it to them. Trading out would be wise since they don't want to pay huge bucks, and they need more solid players rather than one with a giant guarranteed contract that won't be much better than those picked later in the first round.
    The only problem with this scenario is that if there isn't a player worth taking with this pick, what makes you think someone else will want to pony up for thr rights to get a player that requires an arm and a leg in salary cap hit.

Hopefully the new CBA will do away with some of the excessive money these totally unproven players will get.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The only problem with this scenario is that if there isn't a player worth taking with this pick, what makes you think someone else will want to pony up for thr rights to get a player that requires an arm and a leg in salary cap hit.

Hopefully the new CBA will do away with some of the excessive money these totally unproven players will get.
    Agreed, and I should have bolded looking to trade. Finding a trading partner will be difficult, but they should float it out there. A better CBA is something that would benefit all involved - except the rookies, which makes Luck's announcement even more curious. Oh well, best wishes Andrew.

Remember this guy?
    http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...s_julio00.html

I think he could find a pass from ...even Clausen.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Remember this guy?
    http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...s_julio00.html

I think he could find a pass from ...even Clausen.
    If Steve Smith couldn't find a pass from Clausen, I doubt Jones would fare much better. One stat they had in Charlotte that is especially telling. In the Orange Bowl, Luck threw more TD passes (4) than Clausen has all season (3). Granted the competition is better, but that's a pretty putrid total for a starting QB to have, bad offensive line or no.

I'm still bummed that Luck is staying in school. Was really hoping something good would happen to the Panthers. At the rate they're going, they may end up with the #1 pick again next year, so maybe it will be a moot point with Luck.

Not sure what I'd do with the pick now. Probably go with that D lineman from Clemson or someone for the secondary, or trade it 2 for 1 (If I could get a couple of 1st round picks for it in next year's draft).
    "There can BE only one."

Either keep it and go DT or DE with the first pick OR trade down to the 10ish spot and hope for good value from the dline position again BUT if AJ Green is still there you gotta take him imo. Use the other pick you acquire to go dline or db.

I keep hearing that it'll be tough for the Panthers to trade out of the pick since there isn't really a consensus number 1 at this point. If they can trade out of the 1 pick and get a later pick in the first round then another pick or two in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, they should go for it. Not sure if they can do that, though.

If they can't get out of the 1 pick, I'd take either Fairley or Bowers. They have just enough material to work with on their current D-line, that the addition of a stud could really move the d-line up to an elite unit. That, along with a respectable LB core, would help take the pressure off a weak secondary. Then maybe they can get some secondary help later in the draft.

The offensive side of the football is a trainwreck that is going to be difficult to fix in one year. The only position that's remotely solid is running back, between Goodsen, Stewart (who looks less and less likely to be a viable #1 back), and Williams. They need a quarterback, but none of the other QBs in the draft this year are likely to be ready to start. They need serious O-Line help, which is where I would try hardest to build this year. Outside of Smith, who seems to be fading, the receiving corps is, at best, unproven. I'd try to build up the line a little through the draft, try to acquire a serviceable veteran QB to hold the fort for a couple years, and trade one of the 3 RBs to try to upgrade the receiving corps. Hopefully we'll be in a better position to find a franchise QB next year, because it doesn't look like it'll happen this year. Ultimately, I don't see how the Panthers are going to improve the offense to anything better than an average unit this year. If they can get the defense into a top caliber defense (which I think they can do), they can at least be a competitive team in 2011.

All that's probably a moot point, however. Jerry Richardson's press conference left me convinced that he's shifted to being a hands-on, thrifty owner, with he and Marty Hernie running the show and their coach very much subordinate. If Hernie were a great GM, that would work out ok, maybe...but Hernie's no better than a mediocre GM. I think the franchise is headed for some bad times, with New Orleans and Atlanta well positioned to dominate the NFC South for the next few years.

OL

Getting some OL help will help both the running and passing game. As I was watching the Orange Bowl, I couldn't help but notice that Stanford's OL was very experienced. I think this fact helped Luck look even better this year. Certainly he would be an improvement over Clausen if he went in the draft, but any Carolina QB would benefit from an upgrade up front.

Former ECU head coach and current assistant somewhere (BC?) Steve Logan said on 99theFan (David Glenn's show?) the other day that the Panthers were really only a good QB away from being a pretty good team, much like Atlanta was 3 years ago before getting Matt Ryan. He said the OL was big and strong, although (I think) they had some health problems this year (I really didn't follow the team very closely this year). The RB's and receivers had talent, but obviously an upgrade at QB was the key.

I think Logan would be a great choice for the Panthers as their OC, bringing an imaginative and aggressive offense to the team. He was asked if he thought he had a shot at the HC job, and he laughed that off.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

vince young?

trade the pick?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Former ECU head coach and current assistant somewhere (BC?) Steve Logan said on 99theFan (David Glenn's show?) the other day that the Panthers were really only a good QB away from being a pretty good team, much like Atlanta was 3 years ago before getting Matt Ryan. He said the OL was big and strong, although (I think) they had some health problems this year (I really didn't follow the team very closely this year). The RB's and receivers had talent, but obviously an upgrade at QB was the key.

I think Logan would be a great choice for the Panthers as their OC, bringing an imaginative and aggressive offense to the team. He was asked if he thought he had a shot at the HC job, and he laughed that off.
    100% AGREE!! Wideouts were open but overthrown/underthrown on a consistent basis. Qb was not pressured to badly all year considering te health issues. Runningbacks are very solid going to three deep. Defense was weak in the secondary outside of Marshall who overperformed and Gamble had a down year but do not expect it again two years in a row.

I think we have a great core of young players (where have I heard that line before...Hurney?) and yes, we really need a QB to get these guys the ball. Our O-Line was the biggest disappointment this year...we did have an inhury ot two, most notably out 'road-grader' Jeff Otah missed the whole year, but what has hurt was our backup linemen were plucked away by other teams. We also lose Bridges who was not spectacular but did well in the guard spot and could move around.

If we could sign a QB like Vimce Young who could scramble at least a tiny bit, unlike Clausen or Moore, I think it would go a long way in extending plays. Our WR's are going to be decent, based on what I saw this year from Gettis and Lafell, and Rosario is an above average athelete for a receiving TE.

We are solid at running back, and I say don't trade D-Will or J-Stu...only Goodson or Sutton, but this year proved that we need three good RBs in case one goes down.

On D, we need the most help on D-Line. We don't really have an elite pass rusher. E. Brown was a bad pick as he has shown little promise, and I hate to say that Brayton was a bad contract extension but he is serviceable at best and then does dirty things like knockout the Falcons gunner while we has out of bounds. I hate saying this because he is my neighbor a few doors down and is a very nice guy, but on the field has a mean streak. The only two bright spots on D-Line were Greg Hardy, Johnson finally blossomed into a guy who can get us double digit sacks.

The strength of the team, aside from RB, is our core of yound LBs. Between Beason, T. Davis, James Anderson and Dan Conner we have a solid group...we might need a couple more for depth but we are pretty much set at that position.

I could see Gamble losing his job this offseason in favor of Munnerlyn, but I don't think Gamble was healthy this year as he usually plays much better. I actually think our safties are pretty good, as Godson make the Pro Bowl alternate and Martin showed promise, especially in coverage. The other CB is slotted for Richard Marshall...he could be another trade bait as he has shown great promise and is perceived as being better than he is. Basically, I think he takes too many chances and then gets burned.

Overall, I agree that we are one QB away from having a pretty good team. This year, if nothing else, will get our guys closer together and motivate them to work extra hard in the offseason. We were slotted pre-season to finish second (3rd in some publications/websites) to the Saints in the NFC South. Obviously there is talent there, but when your O can't move the ball at all everything gets exposed.

On the draft: Huge bummer about Luck. He should at least come out and demand a trade, ala Eli. The two people he and his dad have talked to are Archir Manning and John Elway...don't be surprised if he does declare beforehand and already try and set up some kind of a trade with Denver. Otherwise I like the idea of trading down, but who would make that trade? There is no Suh in this draft that is good enough to take with the first pick, or otherwise a running back or LB (something the Panthers have plenty of) that we could afford to pass on. I still think Julio Jones would be a good pro, be admit I have not seen much of Aj Green. Bowers is the obvious choice, but is he really good enough to take at #1? I would love more picks but don't see anyone wanting to be in our shoes, which is paying guaranteed millions to a non-dominant, not-a-once-in-a-lifetime player. No Luck, no homerun in the draft for the 'Cats.

Gonna be a long year...Uncle Jerry, please no more press conferences and please do not raise ticket prices again this year.

True to form, and what the Panthers management had indicated, they went with a defensive coordinator without previous head coaching experience. Ron Rivera has done a great job with the San Diego defense, and I have high hopes for him as a head coach.

Dave Wannstedt is apparently being looked at as the defensive coordinator/assistant HC for the Panthers. I like that as a hire. Wannstedt has had some ups and downs as a head coach, but there's no discrediting the job he did as the d-coordinator for the Cowgirls.

For what it's worth (probably not much), Charlotte AM sports radio was indicating that Rob Chudzinski may be the leading candidate for the offensive coordinator position. If I'm correct, I think he is the offensive coordinator for the San Diego chargers. Hard to say whether that implies a more open offense for the Panthers or not...unfortunately, he and Rivera aren't bringing Philip Rivers with them.