Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Carolina Panthers Thread

Anyone interested in some Panthers talk? I dont know of any site with a board like this for the Panthers so I thought it would be cool to start a thread here and see if anyone is interested... I know I dont have any control but I'd prefer that only serious Panther fans join in converstion with thier opinions and any cool information they find about the team on the net or in the paper.

Some subjects to touch on:

What do you guys think our record will be? I think we go 10-6 this year. Everyone is doubting them but I honestly think the running game and Jake Delhomme not turning the ball over 3-4 times a game can get us into the playoffs... (easy schedual cant hurt either)

Matt Moore: Is he the guy? I think so. Not a big Clausen fan as of now, I really like Moore's game and I'm rooting for him to take the starting job and never look back.

John Fox: Is he too conservative? IMO, yes but now that he has his style in place (very strong running game) I think he and the team can be competitive.

Overall Direction of the Team: Cutting all the veterans and salary to make room for the youth movement

Defense: Do you think they will be good with Peppers and Harris gone and Thomas Davis going down with a serious injury.

Feel free to jump in...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm really excited for this year. Mostly because this team will have a new identity, lots of big names from the past are gone..for better or worse. (Delhomme is a better gone...whew). My excitement is from the fact that I have no idea what to expect..they might be ok, they might suck, they might be great. For John Fox's sake they better make the playoffs though..he's had an up and down tenure..he's the last cog remaining in an old wheel. (Except for John Kasay..what a machine..he can stay for as many years as he wants in my book)
    Anyways...I'll be having fun enjoying being potentially frustrated. I love it when there is litte to expect because little is known.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

i agree...i'm excited as well...

i'm one of the only panther fans i know that thinks matt moore will not only GET the starting job, but will keep it....in fact, i'm looking for moore to really show a lot this coming season..

the running game will be awesome...add that to what i think matt moore can do and i think you've got a good season coming up,,

i am NOT looking forward to playing cleveland....watch for jake to throw for 400 yds and 4 TDs in a blowout...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i am NOT looking forward to playing cleveland....watch for jake to throw for 400 yds and 4 TDs in a blowout...
    I'll be looking for him to throw 4 INT's for runbacks. In a blowout.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dont forget we play ther Bears too... Im betting that will be one of Peppers "good" games...

Good riddance to Mr. Peepers.
    Moore has always been better than advertised and I believe it will show.
    I expect a little trickery on offense with the arrival of Edwards.
    The defense will be a point of suspect. This unknown will spell the final record for the season.
    I think the jury is way out and I await a view of pre-season play.

My Thoughts

I personally think we are in for a rough year, and anyone who thinks differently is fooling themselves.

Offensively we should have enough firepower to stay in games. Smitty requires 2 deep coverage on every play, and that just opens things up on the interior for probably the best 1-2 RB tandem in the league. If we had a reliable 2nd WR to go opposite Steve and stay healthy, our above average OL will help us put points on the board.

However, defensively we have some serious holes to fill. Peppers is long gone, and there is no one on the team capable of replacing everything he brought to the table. Even last year we were not good on third down, and I haven't seen us make a single move on Defense that makes us better than last year. Davis's injury also shows how thin we are at LB, and I think we will have a lot of trouble stuffing the run. Our pass coverage prospects are decent, and while none is a shut-down guy like Revis, I think we're OK there.

I like Matt Moore, and think he is underrated at his position. People keep talking about Clausen as the heir apparent, but Moore put up great numbers last year and there's no reason he can't continue to do so with the weapons around him.

As for John Fox, count me in the camp of strong supporters. We would be an absolute fool to let him go IMO. He's conservative to a fault and plays much better as an underdog than a favorite, but I like what he's managed to do here, which is make us a perennial playoff contender and came a whisker away from a Super Bowl win. I can only think of a handful of NFL coaches who've done a better job over the past 8 years than Fox, and none that I could see relocating to Carolina should he leave.

As for record, I'll put a pessimistic 6-10 out there, although an 8-8 or 9-7 record wouldn't surprise me with Fox at the helm. Anything over 9 wins, and I'll happily eat a big steaming pile of crow at the end of the season.
    "There can BE only one."

I think our strongest units are the O-Line and the running backs, which is what Fox wants to do...get a 7 point lead and hold onto it for a whole game. Obviously Moore might have to make a few plays a game for us to win, but with the two backs we have I think we can pound away and control the clock.

The D is the big question. I think we'll find Conner to be more than serviceable at MLB. Really hate that Thomas Davis got hurt in the way he did...we could have been a real star at Weakside in Meeks' scheme. We have two good CB's, big Q is starting line, specifically the tackles. Brayton, Johnson and Brown is a decent rotation, but obviously the loss of Pep will hurt, even if he didn't really have his heart into it.

I would say 9-7, as the sched helps and we can run the ball and hopefully not turn it over. I think our Pass D will be decent, but Run D is YTBD.

I think it'simperative we get the 2nd receiver we have not had (other than Moose coming back and Key for a year) - is it going to be Armanti, LaFell or does Jarrett actually do something this year? One of many questions. Was Armanti worth the pick for how high we took him, especially playing out of position?

It will be a new team this year, but as long as our O-Line and RB's stay healthy we should be able to wear down teans and hold the ball like Foxy wants to do. I just hope Davidson and Fox pull out the stops on offense...if I see another draw play on 3rd and 7 I am going to be furious...although D-Will actually converted a few over the last few years.

If we get anything out of the return game and no critical turnovers from the QB I think we can only get better on O. If we can get turnovers will be the big question (why did we ever cut Harris??), especially with Pep gone.

Lot of questions, hopefully we'll learn more in Camp and Pre-season.

Go Cats!

Panthers are on right now (WHOOHOO FOOTBALL!!!)...

Some early observations:

-Moore looked a lil nervous overthrowing recievers
    -Running game looked good (what else is new)
    -Defense looked a lil suspect but Meeks system worked the way its supposed to (bend but dont break)

Got anything to add?

clausen seemed more confident than moore...

and kasay missing the chip shot?>

whooooooo hoooo....football is almost here...

Last edited by moonpie23; 08-13-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    clausen seemed more confident than moore...

and kasay missing the chip shot?>

whooooooo hoooo....football is almost here...
    Yea clausen suprised me. He looked extreamly comfortable out there considering this was his first experience of live NFL action. For now I am a Matt Moore supporter and even if he struggles I think he should at least get this year to see if he can be our starter for the future.

Also it was nice to see the D-line prove some of the doubters (me included) wrong getting some good pressure on the opposing QB's. Hopefully Brayton will be okay he was beastin out there... that rookie Hardy looked pretty good as well.

Running Game is Good, but...

I think it'll be difficult for Carolina to come back from any deficits late in the game this year. Running the ball is great when you have the lead, but without the lead, it quickens the game quite a bit. The key will be the defense-if it can stop the opposition and get the ball back to the offense asap, Carolina has a shot. They didn't do a very good job of it last year though, especially on 3rd downs.

Unfortunately the hunt for a viable 2nd WR goes on, as none of the 4 candidates showed all that much on Thursday. I only saw the 3rd and 4th quarters, but our 2nd string offense looked like Duke during the Franks years. Overmatched and clueless. Not a good sign.

From what I heard, Jordan Gross had a horrible game, with 3 penalties in roughly a quarter of action. Hopefully that is just rust. Defense did look better than advertised, especially that guy Hardy at DE. He played like a beast.
    "There can BE only one."

One week to go. Hard to get a feel for reality off this pre-season. Obviously no mental baggage / block at QB, but I haven't quite understood what the other receivers are doing. It's like they think they're on the team just because. Where's the healthy competition for the spot?

Alas, I agree with the 6-10 prediction, after which my guess is Fox will be let go. And still only 20 months removed from a promising superbowl run in front of them...

Based on the Panthers lack of offense in the recent preseason games, I believe this is going to be a long season. We might be wishing for Jake to be back.
    Tom Mac

I wouldnt panic too much... we will def run the ball more which will be the team's strength... pretty sure they were just using the preseason as practice to hone the passing game... It failed but I'll bet the offense will be better when the season starts and improve as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    I wouldnt panic too much... we will def run the ball more which will be the team's strength... pretty sure they were just using the preseason as practice to hone the passing game... It failed but I'll bet the offense will be better when the season starts and improve as the season goes on.
    I find run run run offense so boring -- except when I'm watching the panthers. Then it's fun. :-)

anyone know what time and channel the panthers are on tonight? (ral market)

It's The Great Interception Festival of 2010. Pitiful.

let's recap..

how many picks and lost fumbles did we get rid of jake for?

hmm...that would be 4 & 1 i believe...