Thread: Name Games

Name Games

One down: It's the Pac-12.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    One down: It's the Pac-12.

-jk
    Not yet! First they have to introduce the new logo:

So the mull the name change for many weeks (only to settle on the obvious, conservative choice), have a big media blitz for their coming out party, in New York no less, present their new logo, and they couldn't manage to change the second digit on it from a 0 to a 2? Oy yoy yoy.

The question that intrigues me is what "name change" (if any) will be Big 10 make:
    a) None. The current name is historic and the conference's arithmetic has been incorrect for years, so why worry aboth mathematical accuracy?
    b) Big 12. Overly suggestive of a major rival, with obvious legal/copyright issues.

Any other ideas?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    The question that intrigues me is what "name change" (if any) will be Big 10 make:
    a) None. The current name is historic and the conference's arithmetic has been incorrect for years, so why worry aboth mathematical accuracy?
    b) Big 12. Overly suggestive of a major rival, with obvious legal/copyright issues.

Any other ideas?
    I think they should be called the Great Lakes Conference since all the states except Iowa and Nebraska border at least one, and that way they don't have to concern themselves with a number going forward.

If they opt not to remain the "Big 10" . . . how about the "Heartland Conference?"

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I think they should be called the Great Lakes Conference since all the states except Iowa and Nebraska border at least one, and that way they don't have to concern themselves with a number going forward.
    That assumes that the Big Ten plans to remain primarily located in the upper Midwest, which seems pretty unlikely.

They should just go ahead and change it to the PAC Dozen and get sponsored by Dunkin Donuts.

Talking A Name is a Brand; Therefore,...

Quote Originally Posted by 4decadedukie View Post
    a) None. The current name is historic and the conference's arithmetic has been incorrect for years, so why worry about mathematical accuracy?

Any other ideas?
    The Big Ten should remain the Big Ten. In the US it is a brand name on a par with Ford, IBM, and Chevrolet and ahead of almost any other brand, like Ivy League, SEC, Campbell's, or Chrysler. The brand connotes tradition, the heights of public education (with apologies to Berkeley), the economic power and population of the U.S. Middle West, and decades of strength in football and other college sports.

Why the heck would the schools give up the source of the conference's greatest value? To please the math and philosophy departments at member schools? Puh-leeze! Besides, there is always the dodecimal numbering system (base 12).

And, regardless of what the Big Ten does, forget about the Big 12 taking its name. That would be a disaster, and I am sure that the intellectual property attorneys of the Big Ten have taken steps to ensure that the name is reserved for the conference forever, whether it is used explicitly or not.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And, regardless of what the Big Ten does, forget about the Big 12 taking its name. That would be a disaster, and I am sure that the intellectual property attorneys of the Big Ten have taken steps to ensure that the name is reserved for the conference forever, whether it is used explicitly or not.

sagegrouse
    Do they have those at those schools?

Talking Fox and Murdoch

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Do they have those at those schools?
    Well, with respect to negotiations, the Big Ten had to negotiate with Fox and Rupert Murdoch to set up the extremely valuable Big Ten Network. So, I assume it has learned how to protect the crown jewels.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Not yet! First they have to introduce the new logo:

Is that supposed to be a wave, too, under the mountain? It's not very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Is that supposed to be a wave, too, under the mountain? It's not very impressive.
    Probably.

The important thing to remember is that this logo introduces a new brand that will introduce a proactive new paradigm for the Pac-10. Pac-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Probably.

The important thing to remember is that this logo introduces a new brand that will introduce a proactive new paradigm for the Pac-10. Pac-12.
    Bingo!

-jk