Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Jon Scheyer signs with Heat (NBA summer league)

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/northbro...110-s1.article

"I'm really excited about the opportunity," said the 22-year-old Scheyer. "Obviously, I hope this will help get me invited to a training camp, and will eventually get me a contract.

"I looked at several teams (for the summer league), but the Heat is the team I'm really interested in right now. They have a lot of roster spots open because they're completely rebuilding their team to be a championship-type team in a year. I think it's a great situation, a great fit for me."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    http://www.pioneerlocal.com/northbro...110-s1.article

"I'm really excited about the opportunity," said the 22-year-old Scheyer. "Obviously, I hope this will help get me invited to a training camp, and will eventually get me a contract.

"I looked at several teams (for the summer league), but the Heat is the team I'm really interested in right now. They have a lot of roster spots open because they're completely rebuilding their team to be a championship-type team in a year. I think it's a great situation, a great fit for me."
    Thanks for posting. I really hope Jon, Mikhail Torrence, and Da'Sean Butler make the Heat team. I think Jon could really flourish playing next to Dwyane. A combo who can run a team and spot up with a deadly J when D-Wade takes over the point in important spots. It's a perfect fit on offense, imo. I hope he finds his niche on the defensive side of the ball.

Schyer wont see any PT anytime soon. Like, Reddick he wont be able to guard NBA players immediatly. It's going to take some work, but I believe he will eventually be solid. His versatility of being able to be a 1 or 2 can work very well with a complimentary player who can also be a 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Thanks for posting. I really hope Jon, Mikhail Torrence, and Da'Sean Butler make the Heat team. I think Jon could really flourish playing next to Dwyane. A combo who can run a team and spot up with a deadly J when D-Wade takes over the point in important spots. It's a perfect fit on offense, imo. I hope he finds his niche on the defensive side of the ball.
    Considering the Heat's game plan of having 3 super all-stars next year eating up all the salary cap, they're going to need players like Scheyer, Torrence, and Butler just to have enough players to fill up a roster. Having Scheyer on the Heat, IMO, is a great opportunity. Riley loves smart players, and Scheyer is one of the brightest in the game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Now that the Heat have Lebron, this definitely opens up a chance for Scheyer. With two great drivers, Scheyer could have lots of easy looks. He's got to be able to play D and knock down the open jumper, and he can play. He should watch tapes of Steve Kerr with the Bulls to see how he could fit in with superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Now that the Heat have Lebron, this definitely opens up a chance for Scheyer. With two great drivers, Scheyer could have lots of easy looks. He's got to be able to play D and knock down the open jumper, and he can play. He should watch tapes of Steve Kerr with the Bulls to see how he could fit in with superstars.
    Perhaps, although if the Heat sign Mike Miller, there won't be a lot of minutes for Scheyer in Miami. With James at the 1, Wade at the 2, Miller at the 3, and Chalmers as the primary backup, that doesn't leave much floor time.

I actually Redick as the perfect compliment to the Heat's superstars / egos: he can play D, works hard, loves to play team bbal, doesn't mind if others get the glory, and, most importantly, can shoot the three. Basically, you wouldn't be able to double team Wade or LBJ with Redick on the floor.

That said, I think Redick is really happy with his role in Orlando and his fans would hate him if he went to the rival Heat
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I actually Redick as the perfect compliment to the Heat's superstars / egos: he can play D, works hard, loves to play team bbal, doesn't mind if others get the glory, and, most importantly, can shoot the three. Basically, you wouldn't be able to double team Wade or LBJ with Redick on the floor.

That said, I think Redick is really happy with his role in Orlando and his fans would hate him if he went to the rival Heat
    Miami doesn't have the money to get him away from Orlando. I believe he is a restricted FA so Orlando can match...and it appear Miami is going to be offering people minimum contracts as they have no more room under the salary cap.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Miami doesn't have the money to get him away from Orlando. I believe he is a restricted FA so Orlando can match...and it appear Miami is going to be offering people minimum contracts as they have no more room under the salary cap.
    You are correct. Orlando will have the opportunity to match any offer made to Redick. There may be teams that go over what Orlando is willing to spend (the Bulls are a possibility, for example), but the Heat are not going to be one of those teams. They don't have the cap space to make a substantial offer, and Orlando would certainly match a lower-level offer (if Redick was even willing to sign a lower-level offer in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You are correct. Orlando will have the opportunity to match any offer made to Redick. There may be teams that go over what Orlando is willing to spend (the Bulls are a possibility, for example), but the Heat are not going to be one of those teams. They don't have the cap space to make a substantial offer, and Orlando would certainly match a lower-level offer (if Redick was even willing to sign a lower-level offer in the first place).
    Not only that - Stan really wants JJ to stay. He wants Orlando to match any offer unless by some remote chance JJ gets the max. Still JJ looks to get a very nice wedding present from some team.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-j-redick.html

Let's not get carried away with Jon's potential minutes. If he makes the team and gets a contract, it's a huge accomplishment. Even if he gets sent to the D-League but has a guaranteed NBA contract, it would be huge. Let's remember Demarcus who STARTED opening night 2008, was in the D-League within 2 weeks and then was waived by January. It is SO hard to make an NBA team, let's not set the bar too high.

I'm not setting any bars for Jon, and I agree that making the roster of the an NBA team as an undrafted player would be an accomplishment. I do think however that given the Heat's need for bodies, he has a pretty good shot at making the roster. And once he gets there, I think his basketball IQ and ability to hit open shots gives a decent shot at some minutes as the 8-9th guy. I admit I am insanely biased though.

And now he gets to plan with the big trio for at least the summer. Not bad!

From the "Big 3" to the "Gianormous 3"?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I'm not setting any bars for Jon, and I agree that making the roster of the an NBA team as an undrafted player would be an accomplishment. I do think however that given the Heat's need for bodies, he has a pretty good shot at making the roster. And once he gets there, I think his basketball IQ and ability to hit open shots gives a decent shot at some minutes as the 8-9th guy. I admit I am insanely biased though.
    I think he has a reasonably good chance to make the roster. However, I think it will be hard for him to make the rotation. The 8th/9th guy would be the 4th guard. If Miami signs Mike Miller, then Scheyer becomes the fifth guard. That immediately pushes him to the extreme end of the rotation. That's not an attack on his basketball savvy/ability. That's just a reality of where the Heat are with players. He wouldn't bump Miller as a shooter, and he wouldn't bump Chalmers as a defender off the bench.

Now, if Miami does not acquire Miller (or another veteran sharpshooter), then Scheyer's chances of regular playing time would go up a good bit. But I don't see a scenario where they don't add another veteran shooter.

Yep, but

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think he has a reasonably good chance to make the roster. However, I think it will be hard for him to make the rotation. The 8th/9th guy would be the 4th guard. If Miami signs Mike Miller, then Scheyer becomes the fifth guard. That immediately pushes him to the extreme end of the rotation. That's not an attack on his basketball savvy/ability. That's just a reality of where the Heat are with players. He wouldn't bump Miller as a shooter, and he wouldn't bump Chalmers as a defender off the bench.

Now, if Miami does not acquire Miller (or another veteran sharpshooter), then Scheyer's chances of regular playing time would go up a good bit. But I don't see a scenario where they don't add another veteran shooter.
    Miller isn't young, and had quite a few injuries last year. It wouldn't be bad to be the fifth guard on that roster.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Miller isn't young, and had quite a few injuries last year. It wouldn't be bad to be the fifth guard on that roster.
    Maybe, maybe not. It's not like Miller is THAT old. He's only 30. For a fourth option, that's not that old. I'm just saying I don't see Scheyer being the 8th/9th man in the Heat rotation, given the current roster and assuming the team actually signs some post players. An injury might change that, and it might not. If Miller does sustain serious injury, then playing time would open up for a sharpshooter. Of course, Scheyer would have to improve his shot quite a bit to become an NBA sharpshooter.

I'm sure it'd be a lot of fun for Scheyer to be on the Heat roster. I'm just not sure it's the best fit for him as a player - especially if the Heat are committed to the idea of James at PG.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ory?id=5367416 good article on Scheyer from ESPN.com

I don't think the Heat can afford Mike Miller...

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I don't think the Heat can afford Mike Miller...
    To afford Miller, the Big 3 would have had to take approximately 1.5 million dollar pay cuts, I believe (or something around that figure).
    I also doubt that the Heat would've offered him, Miller consider them (and lean towards them), and the two sides engage in serious negotiations if the Heat couldn't afford him.