Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Austin Rivers vs. Michel Gbinije on ESPNU Monday Night 7 PM

Good chance to check out our two highest ranked 2011 recruits in live action from the Disney AAU Super Showcase!

Is there anyway you can watch it online? I do not get ESPNU and I would like to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Is there anyway you can watch it online? I do not get ESPNU and I would like to this one.
    Doesn't look like their putting it on ESPN3. I would bet it'll be on JustinTV, unfortunately you'll probably have to wait til game time and then search.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quincy Miller is rated higher than Gbinije, but he probably isn't coming to Duke. Hopefully so (this is inserted so I don't get in trouble for saying we wont get a commit).
    Thanks for the heads up. Both of these guys are very fun to watch. Gbinije is understated and smooth, while Rivers is a 'pop this 3 in your face' type guy.

It's amazing that they scheduled a different opponent just because Gilchrist wasn't playing. Can't wait for this one. Watching Mike and Austtin go at it should be a treat to watch. Hopefully, this won't be the last time we see those two on the court together.

i think that was airowe's sly way of saying that duke is not in the running for QM 's services any longer

could be wrong and reading into things...

Quincy Miller is rated higher than Gbinije, but he probably isn't coming to Duke. Hopefully so (this is inserted so I don't get in trouble for saying we wont get a commit).
    Thanks for the heads up. Both of these guys are very fun to watch. Gbinije is understated and smooth, while Rivers is a 'pop this 3 in your face' type guy.

JJ and Collins at the game

Sweet stroke, baby.

Man, high school basketball is hard to watch. Some pretty bad shooting on display. I missed the first half, but Gbinije hasn't looked too hot in the 3rd quarter. Rivers hit a three and had a nice drive but missed the floater. It's been rough to watch, though.

Does anyone have a stat line from Gbinje in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Does anyone have a stat line from Gbinje in this game?
    I know he had 9 points...all in the first half, and missed the potential game tying three at the buzzer.

Both Gbinije and Rivers had relatively off nights but I suspect Gbinije was dealing with some sort of an injury seeing as he wasn't in for half of the fourth quarter over two separate occasions. Rivers picked it up in the end with driving to the bucket and creating for his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    I know he had 9 points...all in the first half, and missed the potential game tying three at the buzzer.

Both Gbinije and Rivers had relatively off nights but I suspect Gbinije was dealing with some sort of an injury seeing as he wasn't in for half of the fourth quarter over two separate occasions. Rivers picked it up in the end with driving to the bucket and creating for his teammates.
    Yeah, Gbinije just looked nonexistent in the second half. He sat some in the third and fourth quarters, and looked extremely hesitant. Rivers didn't look terribly great either. He had a pretty mediocre shooting night (3-10 from 3pt range, 8-21 overall, 4-7 from the foul line). It was not really an impressive display. It looked a lot like high school basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post

I caught just the second half. It was bad basketball in general, and a really awful performance by Team Takeover. I believe they scored 44 points in the first half, and had just 11 in the second half near the end of the game (not exactly sure what they ended up with, but it was 11 or not much more).

Cramps? Injuries?

At any rate, it was hard to take much from this game. Rivers is a dangerous scorer, but I guess we knew that already.

Team Takeover had already played their tournament game this afternoon - this was the second game of a doubleheader for them (I think both teams did, if I'm not mistaken). What's more, it was a meaningless TV exhibition with no bearing on the tournament. I'm sure they were just drained.

Austin played two hours before this game. Austin was just a little off. His shots were coming up just short but he was killing kids on his crossover and his change of speed is ridiculous. Austin mentioned Coach K had helped him focus on defense with the USA team. Put defense on his mind. He mentioned this in his post game interview.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Austin played two hours before this game. Austin was just a little off. His shots were coming up just short but he was killing kids on his crossover and his change of speed is ridiculous. Austin mentioned Coach K had helped him focus on defense with the USA team. Put defense on his mind. He mentioned this in his post game interview.
    Saw the interview too, he actually said it was Coach Capel, not K.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I caught just the second half. It was bad basketball in general, and a really awful performance by Team Takeover. I believe they scored 44 points in the first half, and had just 11 in the second half near the end of the game (not exactly sure what they ended up with, but it was 11 or not much more).

Cramps? Injuries?

At any rate, it was hard to take much from this game. Rivers is a dangerous scorer, but I guess we knew that already.
    Yes, as some have said, both teams played earlier on contributing to the fact that their were some injuries and overall bad play. I have a feeling Team Takeover didn't perform all that well in the second half because Gbinije was out for much of it.

It was definitely not something for ESPN Classic and I doubt it will stay on my DVR for that long.

I watched the whole thing while the fiancee was doing our wedding planning..ha...I watched Gbinije during the time-outs and while he was sitting on the bench and he was for sure dealing with some cramps or something because he kept stretching out his legs while he was out. At least that is what it looked like on tv. And the ref had good defense on that last second shot by Gbinije when he got in the way and bumped into him.

I actually liked what I saw from Gbinije. He has a nice stroke and a purpose on the defensive end. He didn't try to force too many things and that seems to be his personality on the floor. Should be an excellent team guy. This kid will become a major impact player in his time at Duke.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Gbinije looked very good the last time Takeover was on TV, as a matter of fact he was the player of the game. He is a player for sure and will fit in very well at Duke. Rivers takes a lot of shots, kind of like Tyreke Evans did in high school, but he took over in the 4th quarter and looked very impressive.