Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For four broken ribs? No...he got the snot beaten out of him by somebody.
    I have to agree. It is very strange to hold someone in the hospital for observation for just some broken ribs. Now if he punctured a lung or something, maybe, but for a broken rib, highly unusual. Broken ribs by themselves are not life threatening. They hurt like crazy, but no one has ever died from pain. Maybe he hit is head as well during the fall? There has to be more to this story if he is still in the hospital. In today's insurance dominate medical system you are out of the hospital in about two days after a lung transplant!! (just kidding - sort of).

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I have to agree. It is very strange to hold someone in the hospital for observation for just some broken ribs. Now if he punctured a lung or something, maybe, but for a broken rib, highly unusual. Broken ribs by themselves are not life threatening. They hurt like crazy, but no one has ever died from pain. Maybe he hit is head as well during the fall? There has to be more to this story if he is still in the hospital. In today's insurance dominate medical system you are out of the hospital in about two days after a lung transplant!! (just kidding - sort of).
    Really could depend on how badly they are broken, and if they are relatively stable or not. The father of a friend of mine was, way back before seat belts or airbags, in what was really a very minor traffic accident. He got out of the car, inspected the damage and all that, and went through all the chat with the police etc etc. No visible injuries at all except for his complaint that he hit the steering wheel and apparently broke or cracked a rib. The guy went home, watched TV, and about 4 hours later died when the rib let go and punctured a lung. So, I guess if they suspect that these are bad breaks, or could become worse, they would want to monitor him.

ESPN just reported that Bob Huggins has 7 broken ribs instead of the previously reported 4.

Not a bad idea to take some falling training for those of us getting on in years, especially if you are a large person. I should think that martial artists can be approached at where you work out or at a local club and could work with you on it. It's something I've worked on a bit in my training, and reading this, will follow my own advice and find someone who is equiped to teach how to roll into falls and influence direction of falls in the process. Couldn't hurt.

Wonder why they would originally report 4 ribs, or did they only know 4 ribs were broken at first? There's obviously a lot more to the story than we know. Not that it's necessarily our business, but Huggins is a public figure due to his coaching at a major university and injuries like this make news, so it would seem that the best course would be to tell basically exactly what went on and then let things blow over.

I can't imagine MY insurance paying for an extended hospital stay for broken ribs. I can't even imagine them paying for ANY hospital stay for broken ribs, absent a punctured lung or some other injury. Of course, I don't make the kind of money Huggins does, so maybe insurance is not involved.

Something about this story just isn't right. I guess we'll learn more later. But the current narrative about falling into a table while packing just doesn't make sense without a HUGE alcohol overlay. Will Bob come clean? He doesn't have that history, so expect to be forced to piece together tidbits from various sources, all spun by Bob's handlers to protect him from another embarrassing firing for personal indiscretions.

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    Really could depend on how badly they are broken, and if they are relatively stable or not. The father of a friend of mine was, way back before seat belts or airbags, in what was really a very minor traffic accident. He got out of the car, inspected the damage and all that, and went through all the chat with the police etc etc. No visible injuries at all except for his complaint that he hit the steering wheel and apparently broke or cracked a rib. The guy went home, watched TV, and about 4 hours later died when the rib let go and punctured a lung. So, I guess if they suspect that these are bad breaks, or could become worse, they would want to monitor him.
    Doubtful. With an MRI the docs know exactly how bad the breaks are. There would be nothing gained by simply monitoring him. Besides, hospitals are not healthy places. Too many bad things can happen and so you do not want to hold folks in there just to watch them. You want to get out of them as fast as possible. Now he may need surgery to reset a displaced fracture, or maybe he cannot breath well enough on his own to get a decent O2 sat and needs O2, or he collapsed a lung, or has a PE, or any number of things in addition to a cracked rib(s). But, you can bet that he is not just being held simply due to broken ribs. There is more to this story.

Nickname to change from "Huggy Bear" to "Don't Hug Me?"

I think he tripped
    Over his lip
    While yelling at refs
    For not calling fouls
    That didn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    Something about this story just isn't right. I guess we'll learn more later. But the current narrative about falling into a table while packing just doesn't make sense without a HUGE alcohol overlay. Will Bob come clean? He doesn't have that history, so expect to be forced to piece together tidbits from various sources, all spun by Bob's handlers to protect him from another embarrassing firing for personal indiscretions.
    This ESPN article kinda bothers me...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5418070

Huggins, 56, was in his hotel room packing to leave for the airport Friday when he tripped on something on the floor and slammed into a coffee table.

Tripped on "something" on the floor? My goodness... can't someone recall what that "something" is/was? If me, I would definitely try to find out what that "something" was, so that I know what not to do the next time...

As a general update, for those who have not learned this earlier, Huggins was released from the hospital on Wednesday.

The latest explanation for why Bob fell down and broke 7 ribs: Prescription meds.

So there you have it. He does not have a substance abuse problem. It's a medical issue that makes him fall down in public all the time. Oh, that DUI he got was unrelated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5423645

Bob Huggins is 57 and not so healthy. I think all the theories put forth here have some basis in fact, but I don't think we have a way of knowing exactly what happened. In this case, we might as well forget about it until he falls again.

It seems to me that if I took a medication that made me lightheaded, I would talk to my doctor about alternatives before I significantly injured myself THREE TIMES. But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post
    It seems to me that if I took a medication that made me lightheaded, I would talk to my doctor about alternatives before I significantly injured myself THREE TIMES. But that's just me...
    Perhaps lightheadedness is the least bad side effect.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Perhaps lightheadedness is the least bad side effect.

-jk
    If the lightheadedness caused him to hit his head once, to walk into a wall and get two black eyes, and now to break seven ribs, it would certainly behoove him to consult with his doctor, at the very least. It may be that he needs to take the medication with milk or juice (since this time he allegedly took the medicine on an empty stomach), or take other precautions, but it is past time for Huggins to have discussion with his medical providers.