Netflix Vs. Blockbuster

as disappointed as i was with the small number of available movies for instant viewing on Netflix, i gotta say, blockbuster's last ditch campaign to try to compete was laughable...

We still have our blockbuster account and sometimes, the movie sitting on the shelf from Netflix just isn't what we're in the mood for, so we went down to BB last night to peruse some alternates.

because we rent Blu Ray movies, the irritating geeks there started badgering my wife about the "new online service" and instantly compared it to Netflix with price, quailty of picture, mobile device accessability, number of titles, etc and then offered the movie we were renting (Kick I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. was awesome) for free if we signed up for a 2 week free trial....ok....so we went through the little kiosk torture to get signed up.

got home and started to check the service out ... EPIC FAIL !!!

1 - does not work for MACS

2 - Does not work for Iphone

3 - Does not work for PS3 (which is funny because the PS3 is the display blu ray player that BB uses in the store)

no wonder they're going out of business...

Netflix is probably the best consumer investment I have made. The sheer amount of entertainment hours per dollar...it is the best deal on the market...better even than a subscription to online games that may or may not be played for hours

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Netflix is probably the best consumer investment I have made. The sheer amount of entertainment hours per dollar...it is the best deal on the market...better even than a subscription to online games that may or may not be played for hours
    Wholeheartedly agree with theAlaskanBear. We have been using Netflix for over a year, and are totally satisfied with the film and TV material available. I particularly like the old flicks that they offer. Poor Mrs. Jarhead had gone her whole life without seeing Casablanca. Can you imagine that? Now she thinks that it is one of the greatest movies of all time. I'll be able to watch The Pacific before it is available on Amazon (I think). Lots of stuff is available for instant streaming, and I'll be set up for that shortly. The only thing that may interfere with my Netflix watching is the stable of pretty darn good TV shows currently available on the USA channel including Burn Notice, White Collar, and a whole bunch of others on for the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Same here. This is a gift to my fiancee every Christmas for the past 3 years. Nothing like getting them a gift they love and I like and use it as well. . We have the 2 at a time package and it seems to suit us fine along with the instant movies. I use the instant more for watching tv shows I either missed out on or did not see all episodes. Like I never saw "Arrested Development" while it was on the air so it has been great to watch this. We average about 8 watched DVD-Blu-Ray a month along with probably 8-10 hours of instant viewing. So I would recommend it to anyone!!

i use the instant viewing feature to increase my knowledge of Godzilla...

It's the instant viewing of Series that's a lifesaver

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i use the instant viewing feature to increase my knowledge of Godzilla...

As the DVR filled up with basketball games, we lost a bunch of series. Those are now available on the Wii to watch, which is too cool.

Yes, Netflix is great, they just added the iPhone app today and I hear it's very good.

I understand the desire to supplement your Netflix account with something immediate and local, but why not use Redbox? They just recently started distributing Bluray discs, for $1.50 rentals. Why in the world would one go to a Blockbuster? If Redbox is not a good option, why not use HD VOD or PPV (some are in 1080p) for the same price as a Blockbuster? Uses less gas and time too!
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Down goes Blockbuster!

Looks as if the choices have now lessened.

Blockbuster Inc is considering filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, per reports from Wall Street.

Gosh, it seems like only yesterday when I regularly brought those VCR tapes home....

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Looks as if the choices have now lessened.

Blockbuster Inc is considering filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, per reports from Wall Street.

Gosh, it seems like only yesterday when I regularly brought those VCR tapes home....

k
    That's happened before. My guess is that Hulu will be the next company to actually threaten Netflix's way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    That's happened before. My guess is that Hulu will be the next company to actually threaten Netflix's way of life.
    I disagree. I watch Hulu on occasion...but it is only good to watch in-season TV shows...most of which I don't care about. I might tune in once or twice a month to catch NBC programming if I miss a new show. I don't think they will ever have the content to compete with Netflix.