Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing...

FYI, as -jk said, pitchforks are related to the number of positive comments received about posts. Moderators don't automatically have 3, as evidenced by yours truly.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Also, I'm not familiar with all of the posters here, but if someone posts something and I'm not familiar with that poster, but I see that they've posted hundreds or thousands of times, I would take their post a little more seriously than if the poster had only posted two times.
    I'm relatively new to the site, but in my short time onboard I've noticed...hmm how shall I say...misguided... posts coming from those who've tallied a 2 post count all the way to those who've tallied a 1000 post count. I understand the 'old timer's' connection with the post count as it's sort of a badge of honor and respect within the community, but I think it's also important to realize that new members are certainly capable of rational (and pertinent) opinion.

I completely agree that new members are very capable of rational and pertinent opinion, but it is much less often that you see someone who has been here for awhile (e.g. Feb07 was the earliest on the last upgrade, I believe) making an irrational or senseless post, or posting an opinion that didn't seem at all credible. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but much less often, IMO. I don't think it is unreasonable that your posts may not carry as much credibility or be trusted as much until you have made a few quality posts and added to the discussion(s) a few times.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

I was going to add this to my last post, but saw that I was past the 15 minute auto editing timeline. Interesting that we are now given the option of editing after that timeline has expired which wasn't the case in the old format, with a link to send it to an administrator. I don't have a problem with the new design, though like all change, requires some getting used to. I like the idea of commenting on posts (may lessen some needless posting) and will be interested to see how that works out. I also remember someone commenting in the past few months how it was not that easy to get back to the main page from the bottom of a thread. I see that has been made easier with the quick navigation bar right after the end of the thread. Thanks for that small improvement.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A website and a forum can be run with minimal money and no need for ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Okay, you do it then.
    He has, and very successfully. Many posters here are posters there too. And some former posters here only post there. The big difference is content. The DBR has lots of great daily content and CTN is mostly, although not exclusively, about the boards, and primarily the "Our House" off topic board. We have fun, are civil, and self moderate, although there are no "wanker" filters and we will occasionally go (way) beyond PG13, and yes, there are several grandmothers who read and participate (post) on the boards.

For the record, I'm fine with the new format here, using the "Blue" option, and on the mobil version I have trouble reading my Droid on every web site if I don't "pinch expand" the displays. I'd like to see the poster's post count displayed, but then, I'm #7 (4,638 posts). And I'd like to see the posting smilies displayed without having to click "Go Advanced".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Some of the dialog boxes on posts seem a little buggy in IE 8. If you click on the Username to access functions like private messaging and e-mail, the window with those functions pops under any quoted text in the post and makes the window inaccessible. Something similar can happen when you try to comment on a post within a thread; sometimes the comment window pops under the following post and is inaccessible, sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Some of the dialog boxes on posts seem a little buggy in IE 8. If you click on the Username to access functions like private messaging and e-mail, the window with those functions pops under any quoted text in the post and makes the window inaccessible. Something similar can happen when you try to comment on a post within a thread; sometimes the comment window pops under the following post and is inaccessible, sometimes it doesn't.
    I can't duplicate this in my IE 8. Can you relaunch IE with all add-ons disabled? On my box it's Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I can't duplicate this in my IE 8. Can you relaunch IE with all add-ons disabled? On my box it's Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

thanks,

-jk
    Didn't seem make a difference.

So about the ads--

I browse with chrome and have an ad blocker add-on and I don't see any ads. I think adblocker is an easy extension to add for all firefox or chrome users. If ads are the primary reason you're upset, I recommend this route. Linky link

However, since I do want to support DBR, do y'all mods know if having my ad-blocker on when I surf the site reduces revenue for DBR?

Didn't seem make a difference.
    Odd. Can anyone else replicate this?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    However, since I do want to support DBR, do y'all mods know if having my ad-blocker on when I surf the site reduces revenue for DBR?
    I'm pretty sure it does. You can whitelist however, which I do for a lot of smaller "mom n pop" sites like DBR that I want to support. Assuming you're using AdBlock with Chrome -

1. Click the wrench -> Extensions
    2. Click 'Options' under AdBlock
    3. Click the 'Excluded Sites' tab
    4. add 'dukebasketballreport.com'

Any adblocker worth a crap should have a similar interface/option.

12. Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    It's still here. On both the regular and the mobile version, note the blue "NEW" button next to the thread heading. On the "Blue" style (for regular old computers), when viewing the thread, there's a menu bar just under the thread title that has a "View First Unread" link with the NEW button next to it.
    Something I never quite understood about the DBR forums is why a "New" button is required to jump to the last post that you read. In the two other forums that I frequent, the title of the thread on the main forum listing automatically takes you to the last post that you read.

If you want to start from the very beginning, in a multi-page thread there's links to specific pages in the thread; you can simply click on "1" if you want to start from the beginning. If it's a single page thread, well it's not very difficult to just scroll up.

The "New" button is simply redundant. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad redundancy on the desktop, but on a mobile phone where the button is small I often accidentally hit something else. Wouldn't it make so much more sense to make the title of the thread the hyperlink that takes you to the last post you read? That's by far the most common user scenario.

I hadn't said anything before because I joined the forums much after it got started; but since this is new is it possible to consider making that change?

I'm using safari. the OLD board took me str8 to the last post when i clicked on the "last posted" icon next to the posters name...this new one does not....this one takes me to the top of the last page....so i guess an extra click is needed to get to the last post...

Updated Fonts & a Tip

The fonts on the Blue style (default style on a regular ol' computer) should be a bit more readable in most places. The Mobile style has not changed (yet).

For those of you "stuck" on the Mobile style and want to get back to Blue, click on the UserCP, and you'll see a dropdown that will allow you to select the Blue style.

And just a reminder (most of you are doing a great job on this), let us know what browser you're working on and tell us whether you're on a computer or specify the kind of mobile device you're using. There's a bit more complexity behind the scenes than the last board.

We're listening! Keep on letting us know what you find. Thanks for your patience!

I don't want to date Mrs. Robinson - I am more than happy with Mrs. Murray. More to the point I find that ad to be in incredibly poor taste. But I guess SBNation is okay with it.

You get what you pay for.

Is there another message board that does this? I don't think I've ever seen it before, and it's remarkably distracting. And ugly.
    Yes, unfortunately the site for Non-Sport Update, which is a site devoted to trading cards has also started running ads in the middle of threads. As for your original comment, I believe they are spot on and justified. You expressed an opinion of the new format and gave your reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Really? Hm, strange... so basically the more "Happy Face" ratings you get, the more pitchforks?

Man I miss the old rating method... loved when random names popped up, and I had to figure out how I earned that particular name.
    I'm with you, Your Lordship. Here, I'll give you a pitchfork for your troubles...or maybe next time since it would be needless posting to just say what I'm saying here again when giving you the positive comment. I'm a little unclear yet.

This seems to be fixed now, unless it was a problem with my browser. But either way, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Can I ask... we have one pitchfork members, and two pitchfork members... three seems to mean moderator. What is the story there? I was always very interested in getting beyond All-ACC Second Team!
    I want to chime in with missing the special names based on post counts. That was very fun.

Other than that, this seems to be a pretty innocuous change, which is inevitably going to happen every 2-3 years.

I'm surprised no one has called for codes to come back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'm with you, Your Lordship. Here, I'll give you a pitchfork for your troubles...or maybe next time since it would be needless posting to just say what I'm saying here again when giving you the positive comment. I'm a little unclear yet.
    Hmmm...it looks like there's a little clarification needed on how the pitchforks and comments are related. While accolades and encouragement in posts are strongly encouraged on the board (and needless posting discouraged), there is a new system for giving comments. It allows posters to give positive (or negative) comments to each other, and it does affect the number of pitchforks. How do you use this system, you ask? Click the comment button on the bottom of each post. It's the : ) : ( characters in a talk bubble button. If you hover over it, it says, "What do you think of this post?"

We're hoping that this will cut down on some of the needless posting. You can see the last few comments you've received on your User Control Panel (see Settings link at the top), so you can see who said what about your posts. If you see a post that is a well written post that gives great insight, go ahead and give it a positive comment! (There's a negative option, too, in the event you need it.)
    Last edited by devil84; 07-23-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: changed the button characters. darn smilies!