Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing...

I think the one main change I would make would be an option to change the font on the message board. This font is too narrow... maybe something with some girth.

The font on the signatures is actually very nice.

The new look is OK for me... except, as has been mentioned, a "wider" font would be nice. Also, I looked at the site on my iPhone, and it looks just like the desktop, so no problems for me there. But what I really like is that on the thread list, the "New" button is by itself. In the former site, the thread starter link was immediately below the "New" button, and on the iPhone, I had a hard time tapping/clicking on the "New" button without touching the thread starter link without zooming way in (yeah, I've got fat fingers). Seems easier for me now.

There's a temporary fix for those of you wanting a larger font. If you're on a Windows machine, use Ctrl-+ to increase the font size. Ctrl-- (Control-Minus) decreases. It's not a perfect fix, but it's a band-aid you can use right now while we look for a more permanent solution.

Best part about the new boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Haha. To the site staff & moderators let me just say: buckle up. People hate change and will complain to high heaven when this sort of thing happens to a site they visit every day. Take suggestions with a grain of salt, especially this early on. Some are no-brainers, like adding an option on the mobile site to switch to the main view, but for general "I HATE IT AND IT'S UGLY" stuff, people just need time to settle down and adjust. If the level of discussion stays high, people will get used to the new layout in no time. Good luck.
    Exactly this.

I work in internet marketing and I see it all the time. Best of luck, DBR! I'm still with you.

That is an excellent feature indeed... we can all look forward to everything this will be used for...

Can I ask... we have one pitchfork members, and two pitchfork members... three seems to mean moderator. What is the story there? I was always very interested in getting beyond All-ACC Second Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Can I ask... we have one pitchfork members, and two pitchfork members... three seems to mean moderator. What is the story there? I was always very interested in getting beyond All-ACC Second Team!
    Pitchforks are mostly relative to the number of posts with positive comments.

-jk

Really? Hm, strange... so basically the more "Happy Face" ratings you get, the more pitchforks?

Man I miss the old rating method... loved when random names popped up, and I had to figure out how I earned that particular name.

Really? Hm, strange... so basically the more "Happy Face" ratings you get, the more pitchforks?

Man I miss the old rating method... loved when random names popped up, and I had to figure out how I earned that particular name.
    Something like that. It's a work in progress. We'll see where it leads us.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't know where to start, so I'll just offer this. This is a huge mistake. I've had my problems with DBR in the past, but they were only with the mods..this new look is outlandish..but maybe I could get used to that..but the ads..you've got to be kidding. I don't want my thoughts tied into some product that I don't know or care about. This is a really sad day. A website and a forum can be run with minimal money and no need for ads. Especially not to the level it is now brought. Big, Big mistake.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A website and a forum can be run with minimal money and no need for ads.
    Okay, you do it then.

I think the site looks great and the new features will be a nice addition. Of course you all loved the old site, as did I. But I also loved my 1991 Honda Prelude before I upgraded and now I'm wondering why I waited so long to do it. The new ride has navigation, satellite radio and a bunch of other things that I love. I think with time, the setup on the site will become the new normal and everyone will forget about the old Prelude... I mean message board. Thanks guys!

After only a day and a few updates (thanks Devil84 and -jk), I think I will grow to like this new format. I'm glad you guys gave the option to have the regular optimization on mobile devices, that's a big plus seeing as I use my iPhone a lot. Overall, thumbs up to the DBR mods who put this together, you guys did a great job.

I don't mind the ads so much, but I really enjoy the old post count too, for a couple of reasons.

I love the different player names that would pop up and the puzzle/riddle that entailed.

I also thought that the post count makes it alot easier to sniff out a troll.

Also, I'm not familiar with all of the posters here, but if someone posts something and I'm not familiar with that poster, but I see that they've posted hundreds or thousands of times, I would take their post a little more seriously than if the poster had only posted two times.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I don't mind the ads so much, but I really enjoy the old post count too, for a couple of reasons.

I love the different player names that would pop up and the puzzle/riddle that entailed.

I also thought that the post count makes it alot easier to sniff out a troll.

Also, I'm not familiar with all of the posters here, but if someone posts something and I'm not familiar with that poster, but I see that they've posted hundreds or thousands of times, I would take their post a little more seriously than if the poster had only posted two times.

O. K. I just got kicked out when I tried a quick reply to this. I have to agree with Edouble on this one. How about getting the designations back?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I think the one main change I would make would be an option to change the font on the message board. This font is too narrow... maybe something with some girth.
    Not speaking for others, but today marks the day that I consider myself one of the older members of this board. The new font, while crisp, is harder to read.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't know where to start, so I'll just offer this. This is a huge mistake. I've had my problems with DBR in the past, but they were only with the mods..this new look is outlandish..but maybe I could get used to that..but the ads..you've got to be kidding. I don't want my thoughts tied into some product that I don't know or care about. This is a really sad day. A website and a forum can be run with minimal money and no need for ads. Especially not to the level it is now brought. Big, Big mistake.
    Lighten up, there is only 1 or 2 ads per page and everyone knows the ads have nothing to do with your posts. In fact, I don't even notice the ads most of the time so it really isn't something to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Lighten up, there is only 1 or 2 ads per page and everyone knows the ads have nothing to do with your posts. In fact, I don't even notice the ads most of the time so it really isn't something to worry about.
    Actually... the posts with the ads are somewhat easier for me to read. The columns are half the width instead of being across the entire page... more like a "newspaper" or "magazine" column format. And, like online newspapers or magazines, I don't even notice the ads... except for the ones that flash bright colors, lots of movement, etc.

I don't really mind the ads. In this day and age they are pretty much everywhere so you kind of get used to them. One thing I am torn about is the lack of how many posts each user has. At first I thought it was a good thing because it would cut down on people posting mindless, useless comments on every topic just to up the number. However, when I first came to this forum several months ago, the count did make it easier to tell the difference between seasoned observers and hacks who like to yell and hide behind a user name. For me, the jury is still out.