Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Introducing...

Next time you are doing changes, I have two requests.
    1) When I am on Mobile view, I can view the board very well, but I can't view the home page without switching back to Blue. Could that be changed?
    2) When I go to the DBR app, I can't see the full home page topics of the day, unless they are short and can't click anywhere to see the full page and/or see any links.
    Thanks,

I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Hey guys, I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but I don't where else to put it. I've been posting a few times a week for awhile now, and I while I feel as though I posted a good amount of insightful content (along with some useless chatter), I can't seem to get any love from other posters. I think most of my downvoted comments seem to come from posts in which I either criticize a player (usually a Plumlee) or insinuate that one of our excellent coaches is viewed a certain way by outsiders.

Example: I posted in the 2012 Recruiting Thread: "But I still can't shake the feeling that we have this false reputation for producing underachieving big men. I guess recruits take one look at Wojo and decide he has no business teaching big men how to play. I have no idea what his methods are, but he did a pretty good job with Boozer."

I got 2 downvotes for this: "Another Wojo is small therefore can't coach bigs post? Minus a pitchfork!" and "When you (and others) stop talking about the very false perception about Duke and big men, maybe it will end"

I don't understand this. @the 1st downvote: Not only did I not say that Wojo is a bad big man coach, I actually said I think he's doing a GOOD job. @the 2nd downvote: I SAID that this is a false perception. I'm TRYING to help others see that they are wrong.

Is this a board for constructive discussion or a Duke love fest, where we aren't allowed to talk about our own faults? I mean, come on, how does anyone get better if you can't see or even mention what we can improve upon? I'm as die hard a Dukie as they come, and no one here is going to tell me otherwise, but seriously, what is this?? Give me a break, can't a guy establish some positive rep without ONLY posting positive stuff all the time? How are we supposed to discuss anything if everyone agrees on everything all the time? Am I the only one who has the stones to play the devil's advocate in a discussion? By all means, somebody else man up.
    Last edited by licc85; 08-16-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Haha . . . I actually received 2 negative comments for that last post ALREADY, and 1 of them was: "Because you live in Lexington." Awesome.

Thanks, man, I definitely don't get enough hate already for being a Duke fan in the place where Duke hate is born and bred. Trust me, I live here because I want to. (Not at all) Nothing like getting stabbed in the back by my own kind. Really feeling the love now, keep it coming.
    Last edited by licc85; 08-16-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Is this a board for constructive discussion or a Duke love fest, where we aren't allowed to talk about our own faults? I mean, come on, how does anyone get better if you can't see or even mention what we can improve upon? I'm as die hard a Dukie as they come, and no one here is going to tell me otherwise, but seriously, what is this?? Give me a break, can't a guy establish some positive rep without ONLY posting positive stuff all the time? How are we supposed to discuss anything if everyone agrees on everything all the time? Am I the only one who has the stones to play the devil's advocate in a discussion? By all means, somebody else man up.
    I dont know what to tell you exactly, man. I can relate to your feeling... Sometimes its like urinating in the ocean, no notices... othertimes the most superficial and off-hand remarks will gain traction.. Total Dice roll some days.

We get lots of trolls and imposters and folks looking to punk or pull a fast one so folks are kinda guarded and jaded to that kinda stuff. Plus if the samples you mention are any indication of the posting veins of posting you have been up to... well, hate to burst your bubble, but its not exactly new ground. Its been covered. A LOT.

Wojo and the Bigs for example... dead horse. Aint saying it is right or wrong.. but thats the way it goes.

It can be a bit harsh to outsiders who dont hang around long enuff to grok the comments and who posts them.... but after a while you get a sense of timing on what wil play when.

Good luck!

Thanks, man, I definitely don't get enough hate already for being a Duke fan in the place where Duke hate is born and bred. Trust me, I live here because I want to. (Not at all) Really feeling the love now, keep it coming.
    Drove thru Kentucky this past weekend for the 1st time. Really kinda pretty country. Especially after spending a week in Chicago.

Patience, Young Grasshopper

Let me start by saying, I understand your frustration. This has been echoed time and time again by relative newcomers to the board.

It's fine to be a fan. It's fine to post your opinion. But it takes some time to learn the politics of any organization (and yes, DBR is an organization, if only an online/less hierarchical one). The new intern does not often jump into the fray with partners and principals.

Listen, I'm not trying to compare you to an intern, nor am I trying to disparage you. I'm just saying it takes some time to learn how this (and any) organization operates. There are a great many veterans on this board (the "old guard", some would say) who have been posting on here a long time. They are quite often the source of level-headed, open-minded, value-added, discussion-fostering posts. So they have years (internet years, that is) of experience and a track record to back it up. That inherently creates a barrier to entry when trying to build your reputation in an organization such as this. It's not a bad thing. It just requires time and consistent, quality posting.

Unfortunately, the chord you struck in the posts mentioned was one that has been echoed on here for years. It has been repeated, debated, murdered, reborn, only to be slaughtered again, and again, and again...

...and again.

It's not that these seemingly unsilenceable topics ("Duke/Wojo can't develop bigs"; "We missed out on Player X! We can't recruit! Duke basketball is done for!"; and many, many more) are ill-intended. It's just that for those who have seen these time and time again, it becomes an instant-punishment situation.

It's like asking "Are we there yet?" in your parents car. It may be an honest question, but you're still going to get time out.

So my humble advice, young grasshopper, is patience. We're happy to have you posting on the board. But Rome (and street cred) wasn't built in a day.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Drove thru Kentucky this past weekend for the 1st time. Really kinda pretty country. Especially after spending a week in Chicago.
    Oh, no, don't get me wrong, it's not the landscape or anything like that. Lexington is a great place to live . . . if you cheer for UK. I had no choice, my parents moved here when I was in the 4th grade from Durham, and I've refused to convert to being a UK fan (Although my family wasn't so steadfast). It's incredibly frustrating, however, to wear any type of Duke apparel out and be treated like a 2nd-class citizen because of the entire state's inherent fear/loathing of Duke basketball and anything related to it. I'm 100% serious . . . I was refused service at a bar once unless I took off my Duke fitted. (Who was I going to complain to? The bar was called "Wildcat Saloon") There's also the problem just being ripped on by friends in general for being a Dukie. There's just a serious inferiority complex that is genetically bred into every native Kentuckian when dealing with Duke, and I don't harbor ill feelings towards them because of it, but it sure is annoying as hell at times, and I'm getting out of here as soon as I get enough job experience to land somewhere I really want to live.

If only Christian Laettner knew how much grief he's caused me with that shot . . . haha. Of course, I don't regret that shot in the slightest, it's about the only ammunition I have against them.

Oh, no, don't get me wrong, it's not the landscape or anything like that. Lexington is a great place to live . . . if you cheer for UK. I had no choice, my parents moved here when I was in the 4th grade from Durham, and I've refused to convert to being a UK fan (Although my family wasn't so steadfast). It's incredibly frustrating, however, to wear any type of Duke apparel out and be treated like a 2nd-class citizen because of the entire state's inherent fear/loathing of Duke basketball and anything related to it. I'm 100% serious . . . I was refused service at a bar once unless I took off my Duke fitted. (Who was I going to complain to? The bar was called "Wildcat Saloon") There's also the problem just being ripped on by friends in general for being a Dukie. There's just a serious inferiority complex that is genetically bred into every native Kentuckian when dealing with Duke, and I don't harbor ill feelings towards them because of it, but it sure is annoying as hell at times, and I'm getting out of here as soon as I get enough job experience to land somewhere I really want to live.

If only Christian Laettner knew how much grief he's caused me with that shot . . . haha. Of course, I don't regret that shot in the slightest, it's about the only ammunition I have against them.
    Now THAT is real. That is what is going to get people to take you seriously on this board.
    I'm from Durham too, what area did you live in when you were there? I grew up out by falls lake off Cheek Rd.

Much Respect for repping Duke in the heart of Big blue. Just passing thru at the wal-mart left me shaking my head and intimidated at the UK lemmings.

If we didn't have the IRE of UK targeted at us it would be someone else.. Duke is a target for everybody, it seems...
    Heck, their Joe B Hall team of 78 BEAT Duke in finals... I haven't gotten over that.. So until we DO BEAT them in the finals to earn a National Championship, I hope they wake up in a cold sweat every night. I mean that in the nicest most respectful way possible, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Now THAT is real. That is what is going to get people to take you seriously on this board.
    I'm from Durham too, what area did you live in when you were there? I grew up out by falls lake off Cheek Rd.

Much Respect for repping Duke in the heart of Big blue. Just passing thru at the wal-mart left me shaking my head and intimidated at the UK lemmings.

If we didn't have the IRE of UK targeted at us it would be someone else.. Duke is a target for everybody, it seems...
    Heck, their Joe B Hall team of 78 BEAT Duke in finals... I haven't gotten over that.. So until we DO BEAT them in the finals to earn a National Championship, I hope they wake up in a cold sweat every night. I mean that in the nicest most respectful way possible, mind you.
    I still remember my address in Durham . . . 2820 Erwin Road. It was a crappy little run-down apartment in low income neighborhood, but just a stone's throw away from campus. I'll never forget the day we moved away, as we pulled out of the driveway, I asked my dad, "Is UK good at basketball too?" He said, "Yes, and they probably hate us for what happened a couple years ago."

UK then went on to win the '96 and '98 championships right after we moved to Lexington . . . lol.

Noticing a lot of flames on the Duke-Richmond thread, and was wondering if those are new or generally old flames re-emerging. There are one or two folks who I've wondered why they drew a flame, but most seem to be poster names I've never seen before but suddenly appear to attack Cut. Interesting.