Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Duke = Germany?

Duke being Germany really rubs me the wrong way. Maybe (probably) it's because I'm Dutch.

I don't think that Duke can be either Germany or Japan - no one really hates those countries as much any more. In Europe, only the lowlands and the French still have a "not so friendly" relationship with Germany.

I'm sticking to my initial recommendation of Duke = France: arrogant, despised by many, but once you're there, you become a huge fan of the culture and people (minus the Parisians). It just makes sense. Plus, look at our French WW1 mascot.

Other possibilities for Duke: South Korea (only recently prospered, faster growing economy than nearly all of Asia, developed), Brazil (countrymen are crazy about one sport only and they're damn good at it, beautiful place, only became relevant in the last 30 years or so), Switzerland (smart, clean, beautiful, good with money, balanced. However, no one hates Switzerland)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Duke = Israel

Surrounded by radicals that want to annihilate us. Yet we are more powerful than any of our neighbors. Most of the world outside of our boarders hates us and wishes we would just go away yet we persevere throughout. We are concentrated in one geographical location, but we have ex-pats and countrymen spread out around the world. We have captains of industry, scientist, physicians, and lawyers all over in key leadership positions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Duke = Israel

Surrounded by radicals that want to annihilate us. Yet we are more powerful than any of our neighbors. Most of the world outside of our boarders hates us and wishes we would just go away yet we persevere throughout. We are concentrated in one geographical location, but we have ex-pats and countrymen spread out around the world. We have captains of industry, scientist, physicians, and lawyers all over in key leadership positions.
    I like this one best. But does that make UNC the Palestinians?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Duke = Israel

And we have a winner!

Wow - Israel never popped in my head when I was thinking about this
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Yes, but I think uncch is more like Iran. Large in size, male dominate, although not in true numbers, with the thinking that their way is the only correct way. All other non coolaide drinking soles are infidels and some how below them in stature. Hate their rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Duke: England. The only thing no one is jealous of is the female population.
    This is a funny comment (did Matt Doh contribute that one?), but I will defend the Duke coed population with great vigor! While clearly a different scale than Austin, Gainesville, or Los Angeles, my memories of quad-sitting in the early fall and spring are filled with multiple images of women whose great looks were only augmented by their abilities to tote huge stacks of books and carry on any serious discussion in which you cared to engage.

I just verified those impressions with a quick look through my old Chanticleers, a couple recent Duke magazines, and a brief survey of my classmates. Love those Duke women-

Talking Why Are We Playing this Game...

... when the OP agrees with his UNC buddy that UNC gets to be the USA? Holy cow! UNC as the only superpower in the world? Who accepts this premise? I hope someone here can vouch for the authenticity of the OP, who has provided absolutely no biographical information.

Duke is clearly the leading superpower. The Devils have won more games, have more NCs, and been to more Final Fours than any other team over the past 25 years. And BTW the Devils won this past year and will begin the 2011 season as #1, proving nothing except that Duke is not going away. Their coach also heads the gold-medal winning national team. I mean , in the basketball universe, Duke and the USA are much more closely aligned than any other college team and country.

And if it's true that many sports fans dislike Duke, why isn't that just like the USA? I mean attitudes towards America are improving, but for most of the past ten years the US has been widely disliked throughout the world.

Ah, well, it felt good to get that off my chest.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ... when the OP agrees with his UNC buddy that UNC gets to be the USA? Holy cow! UNC as the only superpower in the world? Who accepts this premise? I hope someone here can vouch for the authenticity of the OP, who has provided absolutely no biographical information.

Duke is clearly the leading superpower. The Devils have won more games, have more NCs, and been to more Final Fours than any other team over the past 25 years. And BTW the Devils won this past year and will begin the 2011 season as #1, proving nothing except that Duke is not going away. Their coach also heads the gold-medal winning national team. I mean , in the basketball universe, Duke and the USA are much more closely aligned than any other college team and country.

And if it's true that many sports fans dislike Duke, why isn't that just like the USA? I mean attitudes towards America are improving, but for most of the past ten years the US has been widely disliked throughout the world.

Ah, well, it felt good to get that off my chest.

sagegrouse
    If this were solely about bball, then I'd have to agree with you. But considering that the thread concerns the university themselves (with a heavy skew to bball, no less), the US just doesn't fit. Duke is a tiny school with a high concentrate of bright people. I really like the Israel analogy - very fitting.

UNC would have to be Italy - a country that everyone loves without actually visiting it. Once they visit, they realize it's not as great as everyone thought. Plus, the country has produced some very unlikable individuals (Berlusconi, Il Duce)

State should be Germany. Old historical power, but not much anymore. Engineering. Old rivalries with USA and England, but it's died down of late.

Duke has to be the USA, but I love the Israel analogy!

unc? Iran seems to fit nicely.

Maryland as North Korea just about made me spew my iced coffee, and it fits so well!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com