View Poll Results: Who will make one of the three all-ACC teams in 2010-11?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kyle Singler

94 98.95%
  • Nolan Smith

94 98.95%
  • Kyrie Irving

87 91.58%
  • Seth Curry

42 44.21%
  • Miles Plumlee

18 18.95%
  • Mason Plumlee

51 53.68%
  • Andre Dawkins

1 1.05%
  • Ryan Kelly

4 4.21%
  • Josh Hairston

1 1.05%
  • Tyler Thornton

1 1.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    Your list looks pretty complete except for the other Scott, Mike Scott from 12th ACC team UVA.
    Why? I see no reason why any player from next year's UVa squad should warrant All-ACC consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    I will not ever underestimate a Curry. Steph was underestimated in college and the NBA and we know what he is doing while Seth was underestimated as a Frosh in college and we know what he did.
    Yes. But Seth isn't Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Yes. But Seth isn't Stephen.
    Never said he was, but he is a Curry and like I said, I will never underestimate a Curry.

I just don't see Seth getting enough minutes to actually warrant an All-ACC selection. I'm not saying he won't make an immediate and serious impact, I feel quite confident he will. But I think we're going to be seeing a kid adjust to a totally different level of competition on a consistent basis. There will be a few games he drops double figures and makes nice plays. There will also be a lot of games where he contributes very little in the box score. Not that this is of ultimate importance but it is very relative to All-ACC selections.

For '11-'12 I'm sure my opinion will be different.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think that's a pretty reasonable guess. My only hesitation would be Irving and Barnes on the 1st team. But it's certainly possible. Let's hope Irving makes it and Barnes doesn't.
    As to whether my guesses are reasonable, I'm thinking most posters will agree with your second sentence, which does raise a perfectly reasonable doubt about predicting first-team status for Irving and Barnes.

To be honest - and possibly logical - we could probably guess that Barnes has a somewhat better chance than Irving at nipping into the first team. For Barnes is surely likely to be UNC's best player. Zeller might blossom, or Henson, or even Drew, but Barnes has got it. So if - that's if - UNC manages a 2d-place finish, then their best player would be a 2d team cinch, and 1st team likely. Whereas KI will have lots of competition for notice on a team that should comfortably win the conference. [I do understand this assumes things. Yes, I do assume such things. Duke should comfortably win the conference. Now, should any of the players act as if the other teams will just roll over and let Duke win easily, I'm confident K will bust their chops. K will counsel them not to listen to overconfident predictions of their future successes.]

Irving as 1st team is not so reasonable, but I'd insist to major skeptics that it's not wacky, either. I'm just wowed by him, and by Barnes. The ACC obviously has many players with more experience. Still, there just aren't many special, special talents in the ACC right now. Singleton? Nope. Tracy Smith? Nope. Durand Scott? Nope. Delaney? Nope. Kyle and Nolan? Well, special enough to see them as cinch preseason 1st team ACC, but not yet so special [as "talents"] to NBA guys. But these 2 frosh are ultra-talented. So even if KI "only" makes 2d team, he'll have had a first-rate season.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 07-19-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling/typo

I don't really see Seth having any type of adjustment period. I mean, he practiced every day with the national championship team last year, and he excelled at camps with 10-20 of the top guards in the country this summer. I think the latter is an important point - not only was he not out of place among the country's top guards, he was one of the best and highest scoring of them. That's not easy.

...It also probably doesn't hurt having an older brother on the US national team to play one on one with!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I just don't see Seth getting enough minutes to actually warrant an All-ACC selection. I'm not saying he won't make an immediate and serious impact, I feel quite confident he will. But I think we're going to be seeing a kid adjust to a totally different level of competition on a consistent basis. There will be a few games he drops double figures and makes nice plays. There will also be a lot of games where he contributes very little in the box score. Not that this is of ultimate importance but it is very relative to All-ACC selections.

For '11-'12 I'm sure my opinion will be different.
    It seems that you are doubting the Curry.
    As I stated, Seth already has a year of collegiate ball under his belt AND a year of coaching under K and going up against elite guards in practices. Also, he has a soon to be elite NBA guard to practice with often in Stephen. While yes, there will probably be a little adjusting, I think that will be of little worry with the experience (on and off the court he already has). Also, yes, he will have a few game where he contributes little in the box score (as does EVERY player) but I don't think there will be as many as you say. All I am saying is don't doubt Seth, I have learned plenty of things in my life, and one of them is to never doubt a Curry.

Wink

As I stated, Seth already has a year of collegiate ball under his belt AND a year of coaching under K and going up against elite guards in practices. Also, he has a soon to be elite NBA guard to practice with often in Stephen. While yes, there will probably be a little adjusting, I think that will be of little worry with the experience (on and off the court he already has). Also, yes, he will have a few game where he contributes little in the box score (as does EVERY player) but I don't think there will be as many as you say. All I am saying is don't doubt Seth, I have learned plenty of things in my life, and one of them is to never doubt a Curry.

What about Eddy?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    What about Eddy?
    Different bloodline, different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Why? I see no reason why any player from next year's UVa squad should warrant All-ACC consideration.
    Maybe because it is an individual award and not a team award.

Mike Scott was second best player for UVA last year and as a senior captain he will be the go to guy without Landesburg

His metrics are in same impressive ballpark as fifth year senior Joe Trapani, senior Jeff Allen and junior Chris Singleton

http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=40974

http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=32851

http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36117

http://espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31599

Along with high potential guys like Mason Plumlee (or Singler at PF on occasion), Ryan Kelly and John Henson plus either Richard Howell or CJ Leslie PF is the position with most ACC talent.

ACC voting does not go by position. After Tracy Smith and Jordan Williams at center , perhaps Reggie Johnson, and after Kyle and Barnes at WF, these positions are fairly weak relative to past years.

Similarly fall off at PG after Delaney and Kyrie and perhaps Durand Scott, and at SG after Nolan, Dorenzo Hudson, Iman Shumpert.

I agree UVA and some of the other bottom feeders would not get two All ACC players, but see no reason they cannot get one.

Maybe because it is an individual award and not a team award.

Mike Scott was second best player for UVA last year and as a senior captain he will be the go to guy without Landesburg

I agree UVA and some of the other bottom feeders would not get two All ACC players, but see no reason they cannot get one.
    Hopefully, Duke will have 5 players that are seen as more deserving of all-ACC recognition than any UVA player, not saying that Duke will get 5 players recognized. I am optimistic that 4 players may, however.

What about Eddy?
    [CDu cringes angrily...]

[CDu cringes angrily...]
    Are you saying after your experience with #1 overall picks in Chicago, that it is possible to doubt a Curry?

Hopefully, Duke will have 5 players that are seen as more deserving of all-ACC recognition than any UVA player, not saying that Duke will get 5 players recognized. I am optimistic that 4 players may, however.
    You are correct. With only 15 spots to spread across 12 ACC teams, for Duke to get that many, some of the underlings have to be shut out.

A lot depends on who finishes in top three of ACC. Duke is a favorite and VA Tech has an extremely favorable ACC unbalanced schedule plus three experienced stars. So I would not be surprised to see each of them get three and then the other top ACC team probably UNC getting two.

Duke - Irving, Smith, Singler [Curry or a Plumlee or Kelly]
    Va Tech - Delaney, Hudson, Allen [Tyrelle Bell or J T Thompson]
    UNC - Barnes, Zeller [Henson or Drew II or Bullock]
    BC - Trapani [Jackson or Paris or Raji or Josh Southern]
    NC St - Tracy Smith [CJ Leslie, Scott Wood, Ryan Harrow or Lorenzo Brown]
    FSU - Singleton [Michael Snaer or Derwin Kitchen]
    Md - Jordan Williams [Mosley]
    Ga Tech - Shumpert
    Clemson - Stitt ??
    UVA - Mike Scott ??
    Miami - [Durand Scott, Reggie Johnson]
    Wake - [Woods]

I was pretty sure about 13 of them and then picked Stitt and Mike Scott as best guys on their teams. I see Miami and Wake having less of a chance to get an All ACC guy than UVA or Clemson only because of the caliber of the players, not necessarily their team placement, but there is no rule that each team has to have at least one like there is in major league baseball all-star teams.

first Team - Delaney, Nolan Smith, Singler, Barnes, Tracy Smith,
    second team - Irving, Hudson, Shumpert, Allen, Trapani,
    third team - Jordan Williams, Singleton, Zeller plus two from below

Honorable mention - Seth Curry, Corey Raji, Larry Drew II, Josh Southern, Reggie Bullock, JT Thompson or Tyrelle Bell, Demontez Stitt, Mason Plumlee, Andre Dawkins, Reggie Jackson, Sean Mosley, Mike Scott, Javi Gonzales, John Henson, Biko Paris, Durand Scott, or whichever center does best among Jerai Grant,, Victor Davilla, Reggie Jackson, Miles Plumlee, Ty Walker or Xavier Gibson

Alternates from one of those would come from someone who surfaces whether that be Ryan Kelly for Duke, CJ Leslie, Scott Wood, Ryan Harrow or Lorenzo Brown from NC St, Michael Snaer or Derwin Kitchen from FSU, Sammy Zieglinski from UVA, Dino Gregory from MD or Tony Woods from Wake.

Are you saying after your experience with #1 overall picks in Chicago, that it is possible to doubt a Curry?
    Yes. A thousand times yes. And it's possible to doubt a Krause as well.

Your list looks pretty complete except for the other Scott, Mike Scott from 12th ACC team UVA.
    Yeah, I debated on whether or not to include him. I'm interested to see if he improves or suffers as he becomes (in theory) more of a focus after Landesburg's departure.

I think we can have an absolutely amazing season, and still only get three guys on the All-ACC team (simply by virtue of available stat opportunities). I think three (or even four) is a pretty good bet. I think getting five on the team would involve everything playing out just right.

As you note - the All-ACC teams don't always go to the top-15 players in the conference. There are certainly cases in which a deserving player doesn't get so honored. It may very well be that we have 5-6 guys deserving, but only get 3-4 due to players from lesser programs getting bigger numbers.

I think we can have an absolutely amazing season, and still only get three guys on the All-ACC team (simply by virtue of available stat opportunities). I think three (or even four) is a pretty good bet. I think getting five on the team would involve everything playing out just right.

As you note - the All-ACC teams don't always go to the top-15 players in the conference. There are certainly cases in which a deserving player doesn't get so honored. It may very well be that we have 5-6 guys deserving, but only get 3-4 due to players from lesser programs getting bigger numbers.
    I agree completely that it the team could have a great year and still only have 3 players recognized as all-ACC. I am also hopeful that your second paragraph will come to fruition with maybe even our 5th, 6th and 7th players being better players than some of the top players on other teams, though they will not have the same opportunities to put up all-conference stats. That's my dream anyway.

Oh I'm not doubting him. If he were to not to earn All-ACC honors it probably wouldn't be because he had a bad season or didn't contribute very much. There may end up being other guys more deserving.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Oh I'm not doubting him. If he were to not to earn All-ACC honors it probably wouldn't be because he had a bad season or didn't contribute very much. There may end up being other guys more deserving.
    Or at the very least, guys who end up with better stats. There's a difference between saying "so-and-so will make the All-ACC team" and "so-and-so will be one of the top-15 players in the ACC." That's the distinction I was trying to make. I don't think it'll be talent that keeps Curry from the All-ACC list this year. I think it'll be stats (more specifically, the availability of top-player stats on other teams).