Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

NCAA Investigating UNC Athletic Program

No leaks yet but with football players among those being interviewed, it appears this is a football program investigation and not basketball related..

IC broke the story earlier today.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/7970534/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Hey Butch! Watch your back!

The heels might be being probed.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5384232
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Check the first page. I started a thread on this about 30 minutes ago and linked the WRAL article on it.,

Mods, can we merge my thread and CB&B''s?

I wonder what people over at IC are saying about this. It'll be interesting to see what happens...some say its something big, others say just some summer workout violation. Wonder how long it is before we find out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My bad, I looked and missed this thread. I'm dying to know what they are looking at. Current players? Recruiting? Arrrrgghh...
    I'm giddy with thinking of how thousands of folks with season tix at Kenan are feeling right now.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My bad, I looked and missed this thread. I'm dying to know what they are looking at. Current players? Recruiting? Arrrrgghh...
    I'm giddy with thinking of how thousands of folks with season tix at Kenan are feeling right now.
    No worries! the mods will merge them.

On the Adam Gold show today, Jeff Gravely from WRAL reported that it does not appear that unc "self-reported" this, but rather, the NCAA found out on their own and notified unc they would be visiting...

Interested to see what the violations are.

From Raleigh web site

Just reporting ...the accuracy of article and any reader comments is totally unknown.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/7970534/

Excerpt from comments: "...say he thinks it's about a recruit that ended up going to Tenn a couple years ago and he claimed at the time that UNC def line coach ... tried to bribe him to come to UNC...The recruit posted it on his facebook or something..."

k

ESPN article on the investigation

A source at North Carolina told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Thursday that football players were interviewed by the NCAA this week and asked questions about agents and whether anyone had received gifts or extra benefits.

Defensive tackle Marvin Austin, who passed on the NFL draft and returned to UNC, was among the players interviewed, according to the source.
    UNC has several players who are considered potential high draft picks, including a possible 3 in the first round according to an early mock draft.

Yeah, everyone is staying pretty tight-lipped about this on both sides other than the fact both the NCAA and UNC are admitting the investigation. It almost sounds like this is a proactive investigation by the NCAA because of the Reggie Bush/O.J. Mayo outcome, but it's hard to imagine this getting so much attention from the NCAA without some sort of rumor or tip-off from someone reliable.

I can't wait to see where this goes.
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 07-15-2010 at 09:49 PM.

ESPN is now reporting, "The NCAA is investigating the North Carolina football team for a non-academic related issue, according to a source at the school."

Here's another article on the subject. It gives a little more detail, but nothing definitive.

The article mentions that a player cannot make a commitment to an agent informal or otherwise if they intend to return to school. I didn't know that. I knew they couldn't hire an agent, but I didn't know they couldn't say they would, then change their mind.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/...athletics.html

"We try to do things in a first-class way," Baddour said. "In this case, we have to withhold some information. That's not typically how we would do things, we always want to be transparent."

That is just a bad comment. He may have honest intentions, but that is not the way to word an important statement. If those are the only words that can come out of your mouth, then "No comment" is a better solution.

Heck, I'd vote for at least a couple years probation based on that fugly blue color they have on their unis, even if no NCAA misdeeds are found.

Why so dour, Dick? Bad day?

What a great year for ABC'ers!!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...tigation_N.htm

Not looking too great for the boys in baby blue...

Following the wonderful BB season performance, this could easily become a major distraction during the 2010 FB season... Recruiting impacts could go further than just FB too. I wonder if/how this will affect the alumni/fan attitudes, bravado. Dare we use the term "humble" in the same sentence as "tar heel faithful" this coming year??? Naaahhhhh!!! But it sure does give us some great come-backs when faced with incessant heel crowing during the FB & BB seasons this year.

I wonder how the NC media will choose to cover the story. Hmmmm.

University of NCAA Cheaters, seems like a good start... Bumper sticker anyone?

I hope the investigation brings up a couple of murky ethics issues and then UNC is cleared of any wrongdoing, no questions asked.

Why?

Because the next time a hole tries to bring up Corey Maggette as "proof" that K is somehow crooked, I'll just point this out, they'll shut the $^%& up and go away.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Why so dour, Dick? Bad day?
    More like "Bad week, Dick."

Star linebacker arrested, housefire with two other team mates, NCAA comes a knockin'.

If it is true that Facebook was the start of all of this I could see a ban coming for all UNC athletes, or excuse me, 'Student Athletes.'

Most of the rumors seem to float around Marvin Austin and some nice cars he's been seen driving around. It all smells of agent.

While it's fun to watch my UNC friends squirm nervously, it brings to mind just how much an issue agents are becoming. I wonder what kind of legal stumbling blocks there would be in trying to license agents through the NCAA?

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    More like "Bad week, Dick."

Star linebacker arrested, housefire with two other team mates, NCAA comes a knockin'.

If it is true that Facebook was the start of all of this I could see a ban coming for all UNC athletes, or excuse me, 'Student Athletes.'
    I wonder if this is somehow related to Ole Roy telling his players they needed to cut back on the tweeting and such.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2010/...tball-scandal/

This article is the most telling I've read. If even one sentence bears out to be fact, they are totally up the creek.