Thread: Doug Hinds

Doug Hinds

Many of you knew Doug Hinds, T-64. He of the rubber chicken fame. Master provocateur of refs, with a voice that carried.

I'm sad to report his death this morning - he'd not been well following a stroke a couple years ago. Until this year, he'd been to every Duke basketball Final Four. And he was certainly in Indy in spirit. And speaker phone.

His enthusiasm for life was unmatched. He loved a good dinner with a good bottle of wine (or two). A good game. He had a girlfriend (or two) in every city. While practicing law, he would cross reference pending depositions with the basketball schedule so Uncle Sam could pay his way to Duke games.

He'll be missed.

-jk

Others knew Doug far better than I did, but I recall him making an impression early on.

My undergaduate years in the early 1970's covered a down period for Duke basketball. But Doug was a faithful fan even in those days; I recall him leaping over a few rows of fans to the actual side of the court in order to protest an official's call. His arms were upraised and he looked toward the heavens as he wailed against the injustice of another bad call against the Blue Devils.

Our group called him "Blue Shirt". We respected his passion and enjoyed his antics.

I'm glad that Doug was able to enjoy many golden years of Duke Basketball. RIP.

Sorry for your loss, -jk.

I remember Doug from his regular location at court side. He was the original Cameron Crazy.

Doug is a huge loss. RIP, Blue Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I remember Doug from his regular location at court side. He was the original Cameron Crazy.
    First time I have heard the name, but sounds like quite a legacy he left.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Canaries

One favorite story I heard from Elizabeth about Doug's undergraduate days:

Doug always stood courtside, midcourt. After a clear violation, the whistle finally blew. While everybody was waiting for the call and is quiet, Doug yells out "I've heard quicker whistles from dead canaries!" And since Doug's voice carried, everybody in Duke Indoor Stadium heard it.

Another fine, loyal fan up there celebrating our most recent championship with Liz.

I did not know Doug, but -- like many others -- I knew of him. Stories about him are terrific -- and legendary. He was the ultimate Crazy, and he will certainly be missed. I extend sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I've been thinking about Doug ever since I heard of his death yesterday morning. He was all those things people have said about him, and more! Such a character, yet a down-to-earth guy too.

I can't think of any specific stories about him, but he was such a big part of Duke basketball. Such a big loss.

I had visited him several times over the last couple of years, and it was really hard to see. So I'm relieved he's not suffering anymore. And as Julio said, he went out when he would have wanted to, with a Duke National Championship.

Doug Hinds

On the weekend of the NCSU ball game, many friends, family, fraternity brothers and former Duke basketball players got together to remember Doug.

The link below will take you to a collection of photos taken at the event.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharee

Talking Thanks for the Link

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    On the weekend of the NCSU ball game, many friends, family, fraternity brothers and former Duke basketball players got together to remember Doug.

Lots of good memories on these slides. Quite a few basketballers from the 1960s -- Marin, Riedy, etc.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post

Thanks for posting these pics, Ggallagher! Great stuff. Marin, Reidy, Lind, Lewis and many others. Neat to see NC State grad and now bonifide Dukie, Bucky Waters' mug. Looks like a great time was had by all....Cheers, Doug. You started it.

Talking The Buckster

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Thanks for posting these pics, Ggallagher! Great stuff. Marin, Reidy, Lind, Lewis and many others. Neat to see NC State grad and now bonifide Dukie, Bucky Waters' mug. Looks like a great time was had by all....Cheers, Doug. You started it.
    The Bucky Waters pix are amazing. The dude is 75 years old. Everyone else in the picture is 7-10 years younger (or more). He looks great!!

sagegrouse
    'He was my P.E. coach back in the day (when assistants had to do that)'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    sagegrouse
    'He was my P.E. coach back in the day (when assistants had to do that)'
    Mine, too, as the Sage One knows. Bucky made me run four laps when I, as a freshman goalkeeper in a speedball game, had the temerity to suggest that he as the ref had mistakenly allowed a goal which had missed. I had politely and respectfully uttered the phrase "bull..." For some reason Bucky took offense. Never have understood it.

Anyway, some years later, at a Las Vegas holiday tournament, he recognized me in the crowd, called me by name, and we spoke cordially (as we had throughout my time at Duke.) I was amazed that he remembered me by name. Very good guy.

As a corollary to the slide show, can anyone put proper identification to the photos? I see Bucky, Doug, Jack Marin and Herb Neubauer, but age has taken its toll, so I'm not sure who else I'm looking at.

Thank you SO MUCH for the slide-show; it is terrific and much appreciated.

Some months ago, we had a long thread re older Dukies enthusiasm for our team and, for that matter, their love for the University. This is not an appropriate venue (there probably is not one) to re-initiate that discussion -- and I have NO desire to do so. Only to suggest respectfully that the individuals in those images obviously have an enduring passion for Duke Basketball, for Duke University, and for their lifelong Duke friends and classmates. They, too, are "Forever Duke."

It was a good celebration, with a lot of fun taleswapping. A lot of good friends, fairly heavy with Bubas era folks (as I recall, he roomed with a team manager at Duke). But Doug certainly didn't discriminate by age - he had may younger girlfriends!

Doug was a Dukie first and foremost, but he also had an enduring passion for music (as anyone who looks closely at these pictures can see). Even in later years, he would follow singers on the summer music festival circuits.

-jk

What happened? All those got a lot older than I have!