Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESPN opening sequence

i've noticed that espn opens each sportscenter with championship snippets of the yankees, saints, lakers, alabama football, even uconn women's bball. hmmm. who's missing and is it intentional?

If there is one thing that can get us through the summer doldrums when there is absolutely nothing going on in sports, it's bringing up the tired Duke hate conversation!
    ~rthomas

so duke lovers say there is a media conspiracy to disparage duke

duke haters say there is a media conspiracy to get duke as many championships/recruits as possible

my take? ESPN doesn't own the rights to the mens national title game like they do the womens game....the case of the missing championship highlight reel solved...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

duke haters say there is a media conspiracy to get duke as many championships/recruits as possible

my take? ESPN doesn't own the rights to the mens national title game like they do the womens game....the case of the missing championship highlight reel solved...
    No way.

ESPN shows highlights everyday in almost every sport around the planet. They use clips from CBS, Fox, NBC, etc. All they would have to do is acknowledge the source in the credits... which they do on a daily basis for all the other clips they use.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there is a hater in charge of making such things like the highlight reel. It's probably some low-level tech guy with very little supervision. I'm not saying ESPN hates us, but there are individuals who are petty enough to wield their "power" in such ways.

Regardless, is there anything we can do about it?

I've sent ESPN an e-mail a while back... no reply.

that doesn't change the fact that they own the rights to the womens national championship, and thus from a business perspective would likely go out of their way to promote it as much as possible. If this means putting it in their opening reel EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR, then thats what they do. The other sports in the reel are much bigger money makers for espn....

people can think there is conspiracy all they want, but ESPN isn't dumb...they do what is best for their business interests...and that is promoting things they have rights to, womens basketball, and other professional sports...CBS is a much bigger player for the mens game, and ESPN has no reason to give them even just a snippit of free promotion that isn't expressly related to the game
    1200. DDMF.

That certainly isn't true. The Super Bowl was on CBS, just like the Final Four, but ESPN managed to work footage of Drew Brees into the highlight package.

And even if that were the case, which it isn't, ESPN still showed 25-30 Duke games last season. They couldn't find 2-3 seconds from that?

I'm not saying this is one of the great injustices of our time - it really doesn't matter. But there simply is no explanation for the omission.

that doesn't change the fact that they own the rights to the womens national championship, and thus from a business perspective would likely go out of their way to promote it as much as possible. If this means putting it in their opening reel EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR, then thats what they do. The other sports in the reel are much bigger money makers for espn....

people can think there is conspiracy all they want, but ESPN isn't dumb...they do what is best for their business interests...and that is promoting things they have rights to, womens basketball, and other professional sports...CBS is a much bigger player for the mens game, and ESPN has no reason to give them even just a snippit of free promotion that isn't expressly related to the game
    That might make sense if ESPN weren't planning to show thousands of hours of other men's college basketball next year, including a hundred hours of Duke basketball. The promotion argument makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'm not saying this is one of the great injustices of our time - it really doesn't matter. But there simply is no explanation for the omission.
    Agreed. When they first starting showing that compilation of championship clips a while back my daughter and I both noticed the lack of a Duke highlight. Wish I could remember back to the year before when the Holes won. For whatever reason, I distinctly remember their images getting more run on ESPN during the summer whenever similar clips were aired.

People consistently confuse ESPN making money off Duke (which they do and will gladly continue to do) versus having some workers that still hate the team and will gladly disparage them whenever possible. Two totally different things. No one denies the fact that ESPN has to love it that Duke brings in plenty of viewers and hence, plenty of money for the network. But that's completely different than having certain techs, anchors, and commentators that have a bias against the team. It's there whether posters here ever want to admit it or not.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by yootheman View Post
    i've noticed that espn opens each sportscenter with championship snippets of the yankees, saints, lakers, alabama football, even uconn women's bball. hmmm. who's missing and is it intentional?
    Who's missing? Rafael Nadal? Phil Mickelson? Joe Cada? All of them champions with significant face time on the ESPN networks. Gotta draw the line somewhere: may as well limit the list to the 3 big pro leagues, college football, and a local favorite. Seriously though, I so don't care.

What's really sad is that your brand of whine isn't even original:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?t=20969

Fortunately, that thread died early. Here's to history repeating.

Could be wrong, but I feel like I specifically remember clips of both UNC and Mich St. in the years that they won it.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    may as well limit the list to the 3 big pro leagues, college football, and a local favorite.
    Also, they left out the 4th pro league. Never any love for the NHL. Le sigh.

ESP what? Is that a new psychic network? Sometimes they act like it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Who's missing? Rafael Nadal? Phil Mickelson? Joe Cada? All of them champions with significant face time on the ESPN networks. Gotta draw the line somewhere: may as well limit the list to the 3 big pro leagues, college football, and a local favorite. Seriously though, I so don't care.

What's really sad is that your brand of whine isn't even original:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?t=20969

Fortunately, that thread died early. Here's to history repeating.
    wow. lighten up, francis. just a random observation i had that i thought i'd share with the rest of dbr to see if anyone else noticed.

what's with the reflexive white man's guilt syndrome when it comes to our beloved dukies? we're awesome. i make no apologies or look for excuses as to why others might hate. that's their pathology.

ESPN the Magazine never covered Duke winning the championship...

There's a simple explanation here.

UNC has a journalism department, Duke doesn't. More journalists come out of UNC than Duke. Young journalists become higher-ups at ESPN. ESPN thus naturally carries a bias.

This doesn't follow as much at networks like CBS or NBC because their sports departments aren't run as news reporting agencies, but entertainment agencies. And Duke has a few specific higher-ups at both of those networks which promote a kind of Duke bias.

Instead of conspiracies, let's call it like it is: different networks made up of different people have different biases. Some are pro-Duke, some are anti-Duke, and it's easily explainable without going deeper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by toooskies View Post
    UNC has a journalism department, Duke doesn't. More journalists come out of UNC than Duke. Young journalists become higher-ups at ESPN. ESPN thus naturally carries a bias.
    So then the tonic to this situation is simply to keep winning. Force our collective brand down their throat and continue to make them choke on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    ESPN the Magazine never covered Duke winning the championship...
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure ESPN the mag never covers championships... they're about player stories, team stories, etc... but not about events.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a subscriber, just have purchased some individual issues at the airport over the years...

Quote Originally Posted by yootheman View Post
    If, in fact, Duke was left out on purpose, then your reaction is exactly what the perpetrators wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennies View Post
    ESPN the Magazine...
    ...of eye-bleeding headaches, you mean?

Except for the Back Page, it's a yawner.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure ESPN the mag never covers championships... they're about player stories, team stories, etc... but not about events.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a subscriber, just have purchased some individual issues at the airport over the years...
    Even if that is true, you don't think Nolan's story last year was compelling enough to make that rag? They skipped it, no excuse and that is why I cancelled my free subscription. Well that and the fact that the magazine just isn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    the magazine just isn't very good.
    so true
    1200. DDMF.