Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Maui 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Michigan/Memphis is on ESPN2.
    Good game so far. Looks like Michigan has the size and athleticism to keep up with Memphis. I am just not positive that they have the offensive fire power.

I'm cheering for Memphis. I don't want to see another rehash of the 1-3-1 we saw in the second round of the NCAAs last year and I like Pastner. UMich's style can really get teams out of sync. But I guess it doesn't really matter and we need to take care of business against TN first. Got a little chippy at the end of the first half and the players had to be separated; but just looked like a bit of shoving and no punches were thrown that I could tell. On another note, Len Elmore looks like he's aged a lot in the past year for some reason...

Memphis doesn't seem to run much on offense and it shows. They just keep jacking up threes but they can't seem to hit them. They will lose this game if it continues to be a half-court game.

Tim Hardaway Jr seems like the best payer on the floor. I'm really impressed with the way he uses his size to create shots. I can't wait to see Duke take on one of these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Len Elmore looks like he's aged a lot in the past year for some reason...
    Probably still getting over the humiliation of the new MD football uniforms.
    Yes, ok, I of course don't wish Len any ill health... except maybe some laryngitis if it's his turn to color our games.

Memphis looks anvil-footed.

Michigan is taking it to Memphis right now. Memphis looks undisciplined and disorganized on offense. Michigan is hitting a lot of shots, but they're getting open ones so it's not so ridiculous.

Part of me would rather be facing Memphis tomorrow (if we win today). I feel like playing a very athletic but disorganized team would be better than playing a slightly less athletic but good shooting and well organized team.

Either one will be a good test. Perhaps a better test than what the final game would be.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Michigan is taking it to Memphis right now. Memphis looks undisciplined and disorganized on offense. Michigan is hitting a lot of shots, but they're getting open ones so it's not so ridiculous.

Part of me would rather be facing Memphis tomorrow (if we win today). I feel like playing a very athletic but disorganized team would be better than playing a slightly less athletic but good shooting and well organized team.

Either one will be a good test. Perhaps a better test than what the final game would be.
    I wonder how much of it is lack of discipline and how much has to do with the fact that Memphis could just be blinded by the bright highlighter yellow of Michigan's uniform.

But seriously I'm thinking I'd rather play Memphis too for the same reasons you mentioned, though playing a quick. long and athletic team like Memphis would be a good test too.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I wonder how much of it is lack of discipline and how much has to do with the fact that Memphis could just be blinded by the bright highlighter yellow of Michigan's uniform.
    Lol, I thought that too, but the tv cameras make it look a lot worse than those unis really are.

70-56 Michigan with about 3 to go. Looks like we'll have to go through the Wolverines to win it.

By the way, I just checked the schedule on DBR. It lists tomorrow's game as the semifinal and Wednesday's game as the championship. I feel like this is a bit presumptuous. If we lose tomorrow (or even today), then we will not be playing in the championship game on Wednesday.

I'm guessing this was pulled directly from GoDuke.com, so I don't blame DBR. But it seems like counting chickens proverb applies.

Hopefully we won't be jinxed. And sorry if someone has already pointed this out.

Who is excited for a rematch of the 2nd round! I can't wait to relive that thriller!

By the way, I just checked the schedule on DBR. It lists tomorrow's game as the semifinal and Wednesday's game as the championship. I feel like this is a bit presumptuous. If we lose tomorrow (or even today), then we will not be playing in the championship game on Wednesday.

I'm guessing this was pulled directly from GoDuke.com, so I don't blame DBR. But it seems like counting chickens proverb applies.

Hopefully we won't be jinxed. And sorry if someone has already pointed this out.
    The way I figured it Dave O'Brien proclaiming that Duke is undefeated in Maui is more than enough to jinx Duke in this tournament.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Watched the second half and wasn't really impressed with either team. Not bad, just nothing that sticks out at you.

edit: Len Elmore just (mistakenly) said Seth Curry comes off the bench.
    Last edited by gwlaw99; 11-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.

70-56 Michigan with about 3 to go. Looks like we'll have to go through the Wolverines to win it.

Don't count your chickens.

TN is a huge question mark. Martin's system is completely different than last years TN system, and Duke's scouting
    is no doubt lacking for this first rounder.

We could be in for a surprise....or we could be in for a blowout.
    Neither would shock me.

To be fair

Quote Originally Posted by diveonthefloor View Post

TN is a huge question mark. Martin's system is completely different than last years TN system, and Duke's scouting

Neither would shock me.
    All he wrote was that we'd have to go through Michigan to win it, which is true. Duke can't win this tournament without beating Michigan. Of course, Duke may not get the chance.

Neither would shock me.
    I was thinking the same thing. I am still hoping Duke doesn't see Memphis in the second round. Either way, the second round game will be a challenge for Duke... a good growth opportunity and chance to beat a motivated (a team coming off a loss or a team that lost its last game to Duke) tournament team.

Neither would shock me.
    No chickens were being counted by me. In order to win the title, we'll have to go through Michigan. We'll also have to go through Tennessee. My comment didn't assume that we'd beat Tennessee - just that if we do beat Tennessee, we'll have to beat Michigan to win it.

I'm the one who just commented on GoDuke counting chickens with their schedule listing. I'm pretty aware of the possibility of losing this game.

Congrats to UCLA for getting its first win of the season. After only leading by 2 at half, I wasn't sure it would happen for them. Only one Wear brother played (don't want to call them twins... we all know the only twins in Maui are the Plumlees ), so they should win by twice as many next game.

Seriously though, it has to be encouraging for them to play like a tournament team for a half. I would mind seeing them advance far enough that Duke could get a crack at them in the finals if we can get by Michigan again. If Duke could have gotten a shot at Memphis and UCLA before playing tOSU next week, Duke could prove once and for all that Shabazz and Parker that Duke is the better program.

I'm going to check out the GTown/KU game. I'll be interested to see Tyler Adams in action.

Hollis Thompson is a beast. Thats all.

Good competitive game between KU and Georgetown. The Hoyas really battled hard to stay in the game. I was sorta reminded of when Duke plays a really good Carolina team and has to make deep jumpers and tough runners while UNC is making layups and dunks. Thomas Robinson is so versatile. He would be a good test for Duke if both team share the same success tomorrow (win or lose).

In other news, I looked away and missed Tyler Adams' playing time. Apparently, he grabbed one board.

I'm not at my tv just now, but it looks like Memphis and Tenn just went into a second overtime.

-jk