Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui 2011

Maui 2011

Excuse if this is redundant but I see numerous posts of how Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Tenn are going to Maui 2011 but no official word for will come until after 2010. My questions to poster are 1) is this true
    2) has anyone been to this tourney looks awesome like they are playing in a high school gym so you are right there and get to see top players

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I googled that, and found a lot about the 2011 tourney from articles in 2009.
    http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...on-tournament/

It sounds right though, Duke usually plays on a 4 year cycle, and we were there last in 2007. (We won )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It sounds right though, Duke usually plays on a 4 year cycle, and we were there last in 2007. (We won )
    And 4 years before that, Duke won in 2003. I vividly remember K's sideline reenactment of Dahntay's monster dunk against Miami of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    And 4 years before that, Duke won in 2003. I vividly remember K's sideline reenactment of Dahntay's monster dunk against Miami of Ohio.
    damn i don't even remember that dunk or the re-enactment. any video/link??

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2011. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.

edit..changed typo date.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 07-12-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2010. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.
    I'm not sure I follow- which teams are you talking about that made these NCAA tourney runs? The only ones I've seen mentioned are from the below post and the article posted earlier in the thread, which not including Duke amounts to

Tennessee
    Georgetown
    Kansas
    Michigan

Tennessee made it to the elite 8, which was more than respectable, but the others were complete duds with Mich not even making the tourney. Is there another group of teams going that I didn't see? Apologies if so.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    Excuse if this is redundant but I see numerous posts of how Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Tenn...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I'm not sure I follow- which teams are you talking about that made these NCAA tourney runs? The only ones I've seen mentioned are from the below post and the article posted earlier in the thread, which not including Duke amounts to

Tennessee
    Georgetown
    Kansas
    Michigan

Tennessee made it to the elite 8, which was more than respectable, but the others were complete duds with Mich not even making the tourney. Is there another group of teams going that I didn't see? Apologies if so.
    Not MADE, but have the potential to make (in 2010). Of course we have no idea what they'll look like in 2011, or how they will actually do next year..but the potential is there for Duke, Georgetown, Kansas and Tennessee to run deep.

Edit..I just looked at my post, I meant to have 2011 as the date..my bad. I mean this coming season's tourney.

I don't remember a Maui tourney with such a high number of big name teams, and in all likelyhood all 4 of us will be coming off of respectable NCAA tourney runs in 2011. Any of those four could be in the Final Four given the right circumstances, that's a pretty insane lineup if all 4 are going.

edit..changed typo date.
    That's an awfully generous assessment of Georgetown and Tennessee. They should have decent teams this year, but predicting lengthy stays in the NCAA Tournament is a bit much. Kansas should have fully reloaded by 2012, though.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Are you sure we won in 2003? I think that our 2003 pre-season tournament (i.e., the tourney we played in to start the 2003-04 season) was in Anchorage (where we lost to Purdue).

Also, since Dahntay graduated in 2003, he likely didn't play in the 2003 Maui invitational. I think we may have been there in 2001, though.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Are you sure we won in 2003? I think that our 2003 pre-season tournament (i.e., the tourney we played in to start the 2003-04 season) was in Anchorage (where we lost to Purdue).

Also, since Dahntay graduated in 2003, he likely didn't play in the 2003 Maui invitational. I think we may have been there in 2001, though.
    We were indeed there in 2001, and the dunk you're remembering may have been against Ball St., not Miami of Ohio. Interestingly enough, according to this year's media guide, we have never played Miami of Ohio.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    That's an awfully generous assessment of Georgetown and Tennessee. They should have decent teams this year, but predicting lengthy stays in the NCAA Tournament is a bit much. Kansas should have fully reloaded by 2012, though.
    I thought we were a decent team heading into this year. My vote, along with most of us, was I'd be happy with elite 8. Just saying.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    We were indeed there in 2001, and the dunk you're remembering may have been against Ball St., not Miami of Ohio. Interestingly enough, according to this year's media guide, we have never played Miami of Ohio.
    I remember the dunk vividly. Do not recall the reenactment from K, nor the tourney. It was definitely fall of 2001 so it had to be Maui like u say.

I would bet that dunk is on U-Tube. He came from the right hand baseline and threw down a very Grant Hill-esque dunk. Definitely a wow moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    I remember the dunk vividly. Do not recall the reenactment from K, nor the tourney. It was definitely fall of 2001 so it had to be Maui like u say.

I would bet that dunk is on U-Tube. He came from the right hand baseline and threw down a very Grant Hill-esque dunk. Definitely a wow moment.
    I remember the Coach K reenactment.
    IIRC, He was showing the ref how Dahntay went OVER the defender (hands extended overhead) , so it couldn't possibly be a charge (as it was called).

Yipes. I was way off. Clearly not as a vivid a memory as I thought. Come to think of it, I think I was on a flight home from Duke for Thanksgiving during that game and was only able to watch highlights.

I usually go to goduke.com and check the season archive for that stuff. I knew it was a red-colored jersey mid-major and I trusted my memory much more than I should have. Obviously, as a 2004 graduate, I should have known that Dahntay wouldn't have been there in November 2003. I still can't find video of the dunk.

Bucket list

Went to my first final four this year....all this talk whets my appetite a Maui tourney would be awesome and not just for the Duke games...might even come back without a tan

I went to the Maui in 2008, the year UNC won it. My wife and I treated ourselves to the trip for our 20th annv. First let me say that it is by far the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Even though I was surrounded by UNC fans for the most part, I had a blast.

Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym. Our seats were on the next to top row, and we were eye level with the goal.

The access to the players is unbelievable. We stayed in the same hotel that Oregon and Notre Dame stayed in. I physically bumped into Mike Brey coming around a corner. I was the only person on the elevator with ND point guard Tory Jackson who was in full uniform heading to the Texas game in which he guarded TJ Abrams. We chatted a little on the ride. I got to hold the Oregon Nike special addition shoe made for the tournament while having a snack in the hotel bar late one night. A group of Oregon players and parents were in there and I just asked one of the kids to see the shoe he was carrying. And perhaps the neatest thing was when I was snorkeling, I found myself surrounded by several very large bodies, who I suspected to be either ND or Oregon players, but who turned out the be the Tarheel team. They had come down the beach to snorkel by the cliffs at our hotel's beach. I got to kid Ty Lawson about not jumping off the cliff into the water while his girlfriend climbed up the rocks to take the plunge. He told me she was "crazy". I actually spoke to Roy Williams while he was on the beach watching Deon Thompson try to get out of the water, but was struggling due to the wave action. I asked if he was worried that some of them might get hurt, and he said something along the lines that he had told a couple of them they could not climb the cliff, but that the kids needed to be kids. It was actually a pretty quick, but pleasant exchange. And lastly, I had a nice long talk with Luke Harangody's mom and dad at the pool. Found out that Luke had really wanted to go to Indiana (his dad and brother had played football there), but Luke was snubbed by Mike Davis until his senior year, so he went to ND.

All that and you are in Hawaii. Amazing trip. Oh, during the Indiana/Chaminade game, I actually sat court side in a folding chair that was reserved for a VIP Indiana fan who did not show up. Chaminade almost upset IU in that game so it was really cool to be that close. Had a few conversations with some of the refs during pre-games, and talked to Jay Bilas, Sean McDonough, and Bill Rafferty a couple of time as well.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I wanted to give you guys a snapshot of what a GREAT time it was, and that was without Duke being there. Needless to say, I am going back in 2011 and picking the hotel that the devils are staying in this time!! There was a pre-tourny meet and greet banquet that you could purchase which was great for getting autographs and pictures, but we didn’t attend that one. You could still get autographs after the games when players came out of the gym to get on the bus. I will say this, Hansbrough was the rudest of the UNC players, the rest were very cordial, but Tyler was not. He brushed by everyone including the cutest little kids to get out of there. I was not impressed with him in that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I went to the Maui in 2008, the year UNC won it. My wife and I treated ourselves to the trip for our 20th annv. First let me say that it is by far the most fun I have ever had on a vacation. Even though I was surrounded by UNC fans for the most part, I had a blast.

Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym. Our seats were on the next to top row, and we were eye level with the goal.

The access to the players is unbelievable. We stayed in the same hotel that Oregon and Notre Dame stayed in. I physically bumped into Mike Brey coming around a corner. I was the only person on the elevator with ND point guard Tory Jackson who was in full uniform heading to the Texas game in which he guarded TJ Abrams. We chatted a little on the ride. I got to hold the Oregon Nike special addition shoe made for the tournament while having a snack in the hotel bar late one night. A group of Oregon players and parents were in there and I just asked one of the kids to see the shoe he was carrying. And perhaps the neatest thing was when I was snorkeling, I found myself surrounded by several very large bodies, who I suspected to be either ND or Oregon players, but who turned out the be the Tarheel team. They had come down the beach to snorkel by the cliffs at our hotel's beach. I got to kid Ty Lawson about not jumping off the cliff into the water while his girlfriend climbed up the rocks to take the plunge. He told me she was "crazy". I actually spoke to Roy Williams while he was on the beach watching Deon Thompson try to get out of the water, but was struggling due to the wave action. I asked if he was worried that some of them might get hurt, and he said something along the lines that he had told a couple of them they could not climb the cliff, but that the kids needed to be kids. It was actually a pretty quick, but pleasant exchange. And lastly, I had a nice long talk with Luke Harangody's mom and dad at the pool. Found out that Luke had really wanted to go to Indiana (his dad and brother had played football there), but Luke was snubbed by Mike Davis until his senior year, so he went to ND.

All that and you are in Hawaii. Amazing trip. Oh, during the Indiana/Chaminade game, I actually sat court side in a folding chair that was reserved for a VIP Indiana fan who did not show up. Chaminade almost upset IU in that game so it was really cool to be that close. Had a few conversations with some of the refs during pre-games, and talked to Jay Bilas, Sean McDonough, and Bill Rafferty a couple of time as well.

Sorry for the rambling post, but I wanted to give you guys a snapshot of what a GREAT time it was, and that was without Duke being there. Needless to say, I am going back in 2011 and picking the hotel that the devils are staying in this time!! There was a pre-tourny meet and greet banquet that you could purchase which was great for getting autographs and pictures, but we didn’t attend that one. You could still get autographs after the games when players came out of the gym to get on the bus. I will say this, Hansbrough was the rudest of the UNC players, the rest were very cordial, but Tyler was not. He brushed by everyone including the cutest little kids to get out of there. I was not impressed with him in that setting.
    oldnavy, this is a great post. i will actually be moving out to oahu this fall and will be getting married next june. my fiance's dad and family is stationed out there and she is finishing up her nursing degree and commissioning december of 2011 so i will be out there. and can easily entice my soon to be wife for a trip to maui... to relax.... and watch duke... do you remember where you stayed and how you got tickets for the games/pre game banquets, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    oldnavy, this is a great post. i will actually be moving out to oahu this fall and will be getting married next june. my fiance's dad and family is stationed out there and she is finishing up her nursing degree and commissioning december of 2011 so i will be out there. and can easily entice my soon to be wife for a trip to maui... to relax.... and watch duke... do you remember where you stayed and how you got tickets for the games/pre game banquets, etc?
    We stayed at the Sheraton. Go to the Official Maui Inv website. Be careful, I got a nasty virus off of a fake Maui site. Anyway we booked through Oahu Travel. They are the offical travel agency for the tourny. They have all the different packages that you can choose from. They can set you up with banquet tics, game tics, etc.. The only thing is they will not have anything for the 2011 event for a while yet. I called and left my name on a wait list to be notified as soon as the packages are available. You may want to do the same. Plus I will call back and follow through. I remember in 2008 we almost missed out on getting tics, so I want to be very early for this one. Best of luck with your marriage and your future wife's military career. Is she going to be a Navy Nurse? If so, let me know and I can give her a few people to look up via a private message on this site.

We stayed at the Sheraton. Go to the Official Maui Inv website. Be careful, I got a nasty virus off of a fake Maui site. Anyway we booked through Oahu Travel. They are the offical travel agency for the tourny. They have all the different packages that you can choose from. They can set you up with banquet tics, game tics, etc.. The only thing is they will not have anything for the 2011 event for a while yet. I called and left my name on a wait list to be notified as soon as the packages are available. You may want to do the same. Plus I will call back and follow through. I remember in 2008 we almost missed out on getting tics, so I want to be very early for this one. Best of luck with your marriage and your future wife's military career. Is she going to be a Navy Nurse? If so, let me know and I can give her a few people to look up via a private message on this site.
    awesome thanks! good to know the tickets sell out fast! she is actually Army. ROTC right now as she finishes up at HPU. just graduated from LDAC (officer training) yesterday! thanks for the best wishes. are you still active or retired? thanks for your service!

Details; The Convention Center they play in is little bigger than the size of Cameron without the upper level. It really is not much bigger than a high school gym.
    Not sure where they play now, but if it the same gym they played in back in the 90s, then it is indeed a high school gym. The Lahaina Lunas used to battle my Seabury Hall Spartans back when I lived there.

I would always go to the Maui invitational as a little guy. Best memory: getting an autograph from Grant Hill after one of the games. That is in contrast to going up to Magic Johnson one year that he was in attendance. And asking "Sir, may I please have your autograph" and getting a negative response. As I dropped my head and walked away, I took a moment to look back only to see him taking fan pictures with two beautiful women. Grant: 1, Magic: 0.