Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maui 2011

I'm sure this is a bit premature, but has anyone gone to the invitational before? If so, what's the process for tickets? Are they easy to come by? Those of us on the west coast are thinking of having a Hawaiian thanksgiving in 2011.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

So apparently, they will be expanding the field in 2011 It's still kind of vague, but it looks like this is being done to turn the event into a four-game tourney for top teams, and will have eight guaranteed quarterfinal slots similar to the four guaranteed semifinal slots that other tourneys had.

I know that a lot of people think that these "aren't really tournaments if you're guaranteed to advance," but I think that this is an important step for Maui long term. There is always the lure of Hawaii, but I could see it becoming a second tier tournament 10 or 20 years down the line without this. The teams that have their pick of tournaments are increasingly leaning towards four game tourneys to get the extra game on the schedule. In the 8 team format, the team that plays Chaminade essentially loses two games off of their schedule. Calipari (yes, I know that it's Calapari) has expressed his distaste for this side effect of Maui. Since the end of the two in four rule, Maui is the only 8 team tourney that Duke has participated in.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm sure this is a bit premature, but has anyone gone to the invitational before? If so, what's the process for tickets? Are they easy to come by? Those of us on the west coast are thinking of having a Hawaiian thanksgiving in 2011.
    I've gone to it before (2001) and plan to go next year. In 2001 the two options for getting tickets were to go through the Iron Duke ticket office or buy directly from EA Sports. The Iron Dukes want to schedule your entire travel (airfare, hotel, etc.) which is definitely a pain, especially for people on the west coast with easier travel schedules. In 2001 we bought general admission tickets from EA Sports for the Duke games (under the basket). They released the tickets on a certain day/time and we bought them right away. I subscribed to the EA/Maui e-mail list and they sent out info about when everything would go on sale. The timing can get tough to get the specific games (Duke obviously) that you want. Of course, when we were there we ran into plenty of people from CA who had made their plans at the last minute and picked up tickets through various other methods.

Quote Originally Posted by dukee94 View Post
    I subscribed to the EA/Maui e-mail list and they sent out info about when everything would go on sale.
    Can you tell me how you did this? I looked at the site and can't see the link to subscribe to the email list. Thanks!

I too am subscribed to their e-mail group. Today the e-mail below came to my inbox. Also, I was there 3 years ago when Duke won! Fan-flipping-tastic! I am planning to go again in 2011. Last time I just bought tickets thru the Maui site as soon as they were avaialble. They also sometimes have tickets available day of game, but i wasn't going to take that chance.

------------------------------------
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Hosted by Chaminade University Announces

Four-Team Expansion to Grow Tournament to 12 Teams

Premier early-season college basketball tournament announces 2011 field; Duke, Kansas, Georgetown and UCLA headline

MAUI, Hawaii, October, 14 2010 – The EA SPORTSTM Maui Invitational® Hosted by Chaminade University today announced that starting in 2011 the tournament will expand from eight to 12 teams with the addition of four Division I institutions. The total number of tournament games will also expand from 12 games currently played on the island of Maui to a total of 23 games, which include 11 games played on the U.S. mainland.

Starting in 2011, the tournament will be played in three parts:
    1. Opening Games:

a. Seven games between seven Maui-bound teams and four mainland teams.

b. These games will be played at the Maui-bound teams’ home arenas from Friday, Nov. 11 through Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011

2. Regional Games:

a. Four games played between four mainland teams

b. These games will be played at a mainland team's home arena from Saturday, Nov. 19 to Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011

3. Championship Round:

a. The current eight-team, three-day bracket event

b. These games will be played on Maui from Monday, Nov. 21 to Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011.

The EA SPORTS Maui Invitational has not expanded its field since 1986, when the tournament grew from four to eight teams. Today’s expansion to 12 teams underscores the tournament’s position as the nation’s premier early-season college basketball tournament.

“We are excited for the growth and expansion of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational,” Tournament Chairman Dave Odom said. “More teams from more conferences will now have a chance to show their best among the nation’s top teams in the premier early-season tournament.”

2011 Tournament Field

In conjunction with tournament expansion, the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational also announced the eight teams that will be bound for the 2011 tournament championship round at Maui's famed Lahaina Civic Center during Thanksgiving Week next year. Of the seven Division I institutions, there are a combined 20 NCAA National Championships and seven EA SPORTS Maui Invitational championships. The field also consists of three of the top eight winningest Division I men’s basketball programs (Duke, Kansas, UCLA). Along with the perennial tournament host school Chaminade University of Honolulu, the 2011 teams include: Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, Tennessee and UCLA. The four newly-added Division I mainland tournament teams will be announced at a later date.

“The 2011 field has the potential to be the best field in tournament history,” Odom said. “The combination of rich basketball tradition and recent success should make for incredible competition.”

Duke,the 2010 Division I National Champion, returns to the island of Maui for a fifth time. The Blue Devils have a perfect 12-0 record in Maui under head coach Mike Krzyzewski and took home the 2007, 2001, 1997 and 1992 crowns. The Blue Devils are expected to start the season at the top of most polls.

Georgetown (1-2 in Maui) makes its second trip to the island after finishing fourth in 1999. The Hoyas finished 23-11 last year under head coach John Thompson III, who led Georgetown to back-to-back Big East regular season titles in 2007 and 2008.

Kansas (7-5), like Duke is heading back to Maui for the fifth time and is looking for its first Maui title since 1996 when center Raef Lafrentz won MVP. The Jayhawks lost three starters to the 2010 NBA Draft, but head coach Bill Self and his team should contend for the Big 12 title in 2011.

Memphis (6-6) also returns to Maui for a fifth time after finishing third in 2006 and 1992. Led by head coach Josh Pastner, the Tigers finished 24-10 last year and looks to return to the NCAA Tournament after playing in the NIT last year.

Michigan (8-3) lands in Maui for the fifth time and will look for its second title (1988). Head coach John Beilein will try to get his team to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in his four years at the helm. The Wolverines played in the second-ever Maui Invitational in 1985 when the field consisted of just four teams.

Tennessee (1-2) makes its second appearance at the Lahaina Civic Center. The Volunteers finished fourth in 2004 and look to capitalize on last year’s magical run to the Elite Eight behind head coach Bruce Pearl, who has reached the NCAA Tournament in each of his five seasons at Tennessee.

UCLA (6-3), the 2006 Maui champ, will visit the island for a fourth time. Head coach Ben Howland and the Bruins are looking to return to the NCAA Tournament where they made three straight Final Fours from 2006 - 2008.

Host Chaminade, under the tutelage of head coach Matt Mahar, looks for its first Maui win since upsetting Princeton in the 2007 tournament. Mahar has led the Silverswords to the 2006 and 2008 Pac West Championships.

The 2010 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational will celebrate a powerhouse year as Connecticut, Kentucky, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State and host Chaminade University of Honolulu vie for the coveted early-season title Nov. 22-24 at Maui’s Lahaina Civic Center. As always, the action unfolds less than 1,000 yards from the Pacific Ocean.

The ESPN networks will once again offer live television coverage of all 12 tournament games. For the second consecutive year, every game will be produced in high definition on ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD and ESPNU HD, with the ESPN and ESPN2 games also streaming live on ESPN3.com.

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world and 2010 marks its tenth year as title sponsor of the Maui Invitational. With top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences, EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football, Fight Night boxing, EA SPORTS MMA, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active.

In addition to title sponsor EA SPORTS, other current tournament sponsors include the Maui Visitors Bureau, County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation, Hawaii Tourism Authority, adidas and GEICO. The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa and Westin Maui Resort & Spa, all located in the beautiful Ka’anapali Beach Resort area, serve as host hotels for the thousands of fans and boosters who annually accompany their teams to Maui. KemperSports/KemperLesnik has operated the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational since 1990.

For complete Tournament information, visit the official Tournament Web site at mauiinvitational.com or to inquire about travel packages contact Oahu Travel, the official travel agent of the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational, at 800.826.3822. Follow the tournament on Twitter at @EASPORTSMauiInv and find us on Facebook for up-to-the-minute Tournament news.

About KemperLesnik and KemperSports
    KemperLesnik is a sports marketing, events and public relations agency. It has produced communications programs and managed major national and international events for more than 30 years, including the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational college basketball tournament and numerous PGA TOUR affiliated events. For more information, visit www.kemperlesnik.com.

Its parent company, KemperSports, operates golf facilities as well as athletic clubs, lodging venues and major sporting events, including nationally ranked courses and tournament venues such as Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, Dorado Beach Resort & Club, The Glen Club, Harbor Shores, Desert Willow Golf Resort and Chambers Bay, host of the 2010 U.S. Amateur and the 2015 U.S. Open. For more information, visit www.kempersports.com.

#
    Alex Prosperi – Media Coordinator
    847.480.4886 office, 847.830.0284 cell
    alex.prosperi@kemperlesnik.com
    Palmer Moody – Media Director
    847.480.2478 office, 847.804.2721 cell
    palmer.moody@kemperlesnik.com
    The EA SPORTS Maui Invitational is brought to you by Chaminade University, EA SPORTS, the Maui Visitors Bureau, the County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation and Hawaii Tourism Authority. The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Sheraton Maui Resort and The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, all from the beautiful Kaanapali Beach resort area, serve as host hotels. Operated by KemperSports Marketing & Communications.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    damn i don't even remember that dunk or the re-enactment. any video/link??
    Go to DukeBluePlanet.com and on the right, 3rd option down called Duke dunks, you'll see that dunk and the Coach K re-enactment along with many other excellent dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    Go to DukeBluePlanet.com and on the right, 3rd option down called Duke dunks, you'll see that dunk and the Coach K re-enactment along with many other excellent dunks.
    Thanks, I've since seen it a couple of times. Love the K re-enactment!

I went in 2001 with my Mom and had a blast. We had host school tickets through my cousin so could come and go as we pleased and watch other games than just Duke's. Got a picture with JD and remember DJ's dunk. I'd never really been that close to the action before and marveled at how fast the game can be and how tall these guys really are. We stayed in the condos on the other side of the golf course behind the main strip of hotels and had a gorgeous view. Even got to see the meteor shower at 3am, lying down on lawn chairs in the middle of the golf course. Not to mention we spent Thanksgiving with my cousin whom I rarely get to see. One of the absolute, best experiences of my life.

Maui Invitational Email list signup: http://www.mauiinvitational.com/signup.asp

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.d...CLID=205012269

Duke is now in the field for Maui Invitational

Quote Originally Posted by arydolphin View Post

Thanks very much, I still can't see how I missed this. Appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Thanks very much, I still can't see how I missed this. Appreciate your help.
    Ary, many thanks. weezie, I missed it too, so don't feel too bad.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Signup is now on the front page, and they are also on Twitter.

Looks like tickets are not yet open for general purchase.

Family is all booked for flights and a house rental on Front St. I'll be bummed if we miss out on tickets. But at least I'll be bummed on Maui.

could be a lot of fun

i will be at KU this fall and personally hope that its a KU-DUKE final..make my life around campus a lot more fun since almost every piece of clothing i wear is duke...i tweeted nolan smith the other day asking him if i should rep duke around campus if it comes to the final and to my amazement he tweeted back! made my summer haha...he is seriously my favorite duke player ever. #barnone ...also i need advice..i have duke stickers on my car which i will be keeping at ku...should i take them off or not??

Quote Originally Posted by mikegismynewhero View Post
    i will be at KU this fall and personally hope that its a KU-DUKE final..make my life around campus a lot more fun since almost every piece of clothing i wear is duke...i tweeted nolan smith the other day asking him if i should rep duke around campus if it comes to the final and to my amazement he tweeted back! made my summer haha...he is seriously my favorite duke player ever. #barnone ...also i need advice..i have duke stickers on my car which i will be keeping at ku...should i take them off or not??
    Might be asking to get a window knocked out. I would be willing to bet that probably 99% of the student body would not do anything, but it only takes one drunk jerk.

wore my duke hat to breakfast this morning and nothing was said..and my car still looks good from my dorm window..i think itll be good...until duke beats down on ku in maui haha...but if anyone wants...i can give the inside scoop into what the feel around campus about ku basketball and how their season is goin..it would be interesting because like duke kansas has veterans leaving and an up-and-coming new core of players...thanks!

Duke Maui tickets not available via general sale

For anyone hoping to buy Duke tickets for Maui without the travel package your hopes just got a little smaller. There are no Duke tickets available in the general public sale that started today. You can buy tickets as a Tennessee fan and see our first game, but each ticket package (which would include all three Tennessee games) is $333.

https://www.mauiinvitational.com/products

For anyone hoping to buy Duke tickets for Maui without the travel package your hopes just got a little smaller. There are no Duke tickets available in the general public sale that started today. You can buy tickets as a Tennessee fan and see our first game, but each ticket package (which would include all three Tennessee games) is $333.

I just did that, as we are already booked in Lahaina and want to see at least one Duke game.

Anyone know some Tenessee fans who might want some later-round tickets?

That's unbelievable! My strength in math tells me that works out to be $111 per game. Seems kind of steep. Granted, the gym is tiny, and the up-close and personal aspect is definitely cool, but it still seems expensive.

Regardless, it remains on my bucket list.

I saw Duke 4 years ago in Maui and am going again this year. I do not yet have tickets for this year and it looks like I may be out of luck. 4 years ago, I was able to buy All Tournament tickets and that was worth it to me. However, those weren't available this year, and while I almost spent $333 to see the Tennessee game, I didn't. I will just see if i can find stuff later, close to the games. I am so bummed, 4 years ago, it was really easy, this year, not so much.

Really wanted to go to the dinner the night before, but haven't seen any of those tickets available without the travel package either.

-Terri