USA Select Team - Kyle and Nolan

USA Basketball just announced the Select Team which helps the National Team prepare for the World Championships. Nolan and Kyle are on it as are some vanquished 2009/10 foes (Dunn, Mack, Johnson, Walker), some ACC foes (Zeller, Singleton) and some potential 2010/11 foes (Pullen). Our guys, especially Nolan, have had some really fun summer activities (CP3 camp, Lebron Camp, now this).

Lavoy Allen C 6-10 225 2011 Temple University / Morrisville, PA
    William Buford G 6-5 190 2012 Ohio State University / Toledo, OH
    LaceDarius Dunn F 6-4 205 2012 Baylor University / Monroe, LA
    Jimmer Fredette G 6-2 195 2011 Brigham Young University / Glens Falls, NY
    Scotty Hopson G 6-7 200 2012 University of Tennessee / Hopkinsville, KY
    Scoop Jardine G 6-2 190 2012 Syracuse University / Philadelphia, PA
    JaJuan Johnson F 6-10 216 2011 Purdue University / Indianapolis, IN
    Jon Leuer C 6-10 230 2011 University of Wisconsin / Orono, MN
    Shelvin Mack G 6-3 215 2012 Butler University / Lexington, KY
    Marcus Morris F 6-8 225 2012 University of Kansas / Philadelphia, PA
    Jacob Pullen G 6-0 200 2011 Kansas State University / Maywood, IL
    John Shurna F 6-8 210 2012 Northwestern University / Glen Ellyn, IL
    Kyle Singler F 6-8 230 2011 Duke University / Medford, OR
    Chris Singleton F 6-9 227 2012 Florida State University / Canton, GA
    Nolan Smith G 6-2 185 2011 Duke University / Upper Marlboro, MD
    Howard Thompkins F 6-10 247 2012 University of Georgia / Lithonia, GA
    Mike Tisdale C 7-1 235 2011 University of Illinois / Riverton, IL
    Kemba Walker G 6-1 172 2012 University of Connecticut / Bronx, NY
    Chris Wright F 6-8 226 2012 University of Dayton / Trotwood, OH
    Tyler Zeller F 7-0 240 2012 University of North Carolina / Washington, IN
    Coach: Lorenzo Romar, University of Washington
    Coach: Jay Wright, Villanova University

Some related tweets from Luke Winn, who conducted a twitter survey about who should start:

lukewinn Plenty of excellent guards on that US Select roster, but after seeing Nolan Smith in March + this summer, I feel like he's gotta start

lukewinn Going by NBA stock (bc they're facing pros in Vegas), best lineup would be Kemba-1, Smith-2, Singler-3, Morris-4, Singleton-5

lukewinn To recap, consensus US Select 1st tm: Pullen-1, Dunn-2, Singler-3, Morris-4, JJ-5 2nd: Kemba-1, Jimmer-2, Smith-2, Singleton-4, Thompkins-5

Are we going to be able to watch any of these scrimmages?
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Are we going to be able to watch any of these scrimmages?
    Probably not. The best we can hope (I think) is that, because they are all returning collegians, we'll get extensive written coverage from ESPN (Katz, et al), CNNSI (Winn, et al) and the other dozens of media outlets. Plus, I assume ESPN's Chris Sheridan will continue his career-long coverage of Team USA with some solid write-ups.

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this comment, but I thought of it while reading this great opportunity for Kyle and Nolan.

It seems to me that basketball is getting to be more and more international, and the opportunities to be a part of USA basketball are thus a bigger and bigger deal. And we have our incoming freshmen coming off a big international competition, and our seniors getting this opportunity. I wonder how long it will be until people start saying that Duke has an unfair advantage with K serving such a prominent role in USA basketball for so long. I mean, all the biggest recruits in high school get associated with USA basketball early. College kids get to go to Vegas and play with the big boys. I'm not saying that going to Duke gives you any advantage in terms of taking advantage of these opportunities. But people have used Coach K's commercials as proof Duke has an unfair advantage. It seems that a kid who gets wrapped up in the opportunities USA basketball has to offer early might well lean towards Duke and a coach that is prominently involved in it. Perhaps we have to wait for everyone to forget what a disadvantage it was for Duke for Coach K to be coaching the national team before we have to start hearing about what an advantage it is?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    ...I wonder how long it will be until people start saying that Duke has an unfair advantage with K serving such a prominent role in USA basketball for so long...
    About negative three days, actually!

Haha. Thanks for the link! I love laughing at these "articles"

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I like how this writer used the "Duke recruits get rubber stamped as McDonald's All-Americans" argument when talking about Josh Hairston getting preferential treatment.

He was the 2nd most egregious omission off the team this year behind Ryan Harrow.

Congrats to Kyle and Nolan for recognition of all their hard work. I hope those two don't play too many minutes this Summer or they will be too worn out to do anything when the games really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

Congrats to Kyle and Nolan for recognition of all their hard work. I hope those two don't play too many minutes this Summer or they will be too worn out to do anything when the games really matter.
    I can't wait for the first time someone says this (or something like it) seriously during the fall when one of them has an off shooting night. Then I will know it's basketball season again!