Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Post MBB: Who will be Duke's 5 starters for the 2010-2011 season?

Kyle (senior)
    Nolan (senior)
    Ryan (junior)
    Miles (junior)
    Kyrie (freshman)

my projected guess
    Last edited by jpfrizzle; 07-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Kyrie
    Curry
    Nolan
    Kyle
    A Plumlee

Kyrie
    Curry
    Nolan
    Kyle
    M Plumlee

lol first off im suprised no one said theres already a thread on this but ill put my 2 cents in

I say:
    Irving
    Curry
    Smith
    Singler
    Ma. Plumlee

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    lol first off im suprised no one said theres already a thread
    There are quite a few, but this is the main one:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ad.php?t=21550

Yeah, you could pretty much click on any thread on this entire forum and at some point this issue will have been discussed. The bulk of the disagreement can be summarized by "Will Curry start and Kyle play the 4, or will Kyle start with both Plumlees."

Arguments for the former are that Curry is tearing it up in summer play and is too good to not start, while Kyle played well at the 4 his first two years, and we have a ton of depth at guard. Arguments for the latter are that Coach K has publicly stated that Kyle will play the 3, and that seems to be his best position.

I won't offer my own opinion because this issue has already been beaten to death.

lineup

Quote Originally Posted by jpfrizzle View Post
    Kyle (senior)
    Nolan (senior)
    Ryan (junior)
    Miles (junior)
    Kyrie (freshman)

my projected guess
    Just for the record, Ryan will be a sophomore, not a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just for the record, Ryan will be a sophomore, not a junior.
    LOL. sorry but unless Ryan is a 1st team AA i dont see him starting.

I'm not saying Ryan will or he won't start, but I feel pretty confident we won't have any first team All-Americans starting at the 4 or the 5 in 2010-11 (I'm assuming Kyle will be starting the 3). So Ryan doesn't have to be one of the five best players in the country in order to start. All he has to do is be one of the two best big men on Duke's team. I'm not saying that's an easy thing; I expect both Miles and Mason to be very strong players next year. But "1st team AA"? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm not saying Ryan will or he won't start, but I feel pretty confident we won't have any first team All-Americans starting at the 4 or the 5 in 2010-11 (I'm assuming Kyle will be starting the 3). So Ryan doesn't have to be one of the five best players in the country in order to start. All he has to do is be one of the two best big men on Duke's team. I'm not saying that's an easy thing; I expect both Miles and Mason to be very strong players next year. But "1st team AA"? Come on.

I think his statement was a bit of a hyperbole. I believe the point was (which I agree with), Ryan Kelly has to be really good to supplant one of the Plumlees from the starting rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My point being that he really really has to be a stud in the preseason or start of the year to start over Mason or Miles.. But id love to see him start cause that means he has improved tremendously!

Glad to see Ryan getting some props

It would not be a starting lineup, but one combo that will be very difficult to guard while Plumlees rest or are in foul trouble:

Kyrie Irving

Seth Curry

Nolan Smith

Kyle Singler

Ryan Kelly

with an outstanding shooter Andre Dawkins at the ready.

I also do not think there will be one starting lineup. It will vary based on opponent.

On BigPappa's site, Paul Hewitt says GA Tech may play small as will UVA. On the other extreme Miami has 255 pound PF and 295 pound center and NC State depending on where they play CJ Leslie could have 266 pound PF and Tracy Smith at center.

Some of the best returning ACC players are PF's. So I do think coach K will match up his best Singler on them: Mike Scott, Joe Trapani, Chris Singleton and Jeff Allen. So counting GA Tech that would be 5 ACC teams where Singler may play more PF and 6 where he likely plays mostly WF, except when Plumlees are in foul trouble where he may get the nod over Josh Hairston in his first season.

He can't become an AA unless he starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    It would not be a starting lineup, but one combo that will be very difficult to guard while Plumlees rest or are in foul trouble:

Kyrie Irving

Seth Curry

Nolan Smith

Kyle Singler

Ryan Kelly

with an outstanding shooter Andre Dawkins at the ready.

I also do not think there will be one starting lineup. It will vary based on opponent.

On BigPappa's site, Paul Hewitt says GA Tech may play small as will UVA. On the other extreme Miami has 255 pound PF and 295 pound center and NC State depending on where they play CJ Leslie could have 266 pound PF and Tracy Smith at center.

Some of the best returning ACC players are PF's. So I do think coach K will match up his best Singler on them: Mike Scott, Joe Trapani, Chris Singleton and Jeff Allen. So counting GA Tech that would be 5 ACC teams where Singler may play more PF and 6 where he likely plays mostly WF, except when Plumlees are in foul trouble where he may get the nod over Josh Hairston in his first season.
    IIRC, I think that's actually a site Airowe created, but BP is definitely a good contributor to it.

Just makin' sure Airowe gets his due while he's been gone.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Arguments for the latter are that Coach K has publicly stated that Kyle will play the 3, and that seems to be his best position.
    QED.
    April 1

I think that Duke will have two offensive sets, one with four outside players and a pivot and a conventional 3-2, which is how they will start and the Plumlees will be the two. The first sub will likely be a guard and it likely will be Curry and look for a Davidson type offense out of Duke with Kyrie playing the point and Seth playing his brother's position only with much less emphasis on that position.

Singler will guard the 4 and will be the finisher on the secondary break, catching it in the paint in an early offense set up in which the shot will be taken quick.

It will be real, real interesting if the Plumlees can stay out of foul trouble and Kyrie breaks down defenses the way everyone expects. If that happens, both Plumlees might get to stay on the floor together at the beginning of games much longer than I expect, which now is about 5 minutes.

Should the offense go deep into the clock I should be surprised. If it does, who gets the ball with 10 seconds on the clock? "Not a soup question, now is it?"

Surprised No One Listed This

Starters

Nolan
    Kyle
    Mason
    Miles
    Kyrie

Key backups

Seth
    Andre
    Ryan
    Josh

PT for the back line subs will be substantial. Seth and Andre will get in a lot with the expected increase pace of the games while I think Thornton will have to show what he can do and work his way into PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Starters

Nolan
    Kyle
    Mason
    Miles
    Kyrie

Key backups

Seth
    Andre
    Ryan
    Josh

PT for the back line subs will be substantial. Seth and Andre will get in a lot with the expected increase pace of the games while I think Thornton will have to show what he can do and work his way into PT.
    Because all the rational people who feel this way are tired of beating it to death (see DevilHorns post above) and probably are against this thread altogether. BTW - put me in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Because all the rational people who feel this way are tired of beating it to death (see DevilHorns post above) and probably are against this thread altogether. BTW - put me in that category.
    Big Pappa nailed it.