Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zoubek. Without him we wouldn't have won the National Title, and maybe not even the ACC title. I'll just leave it at that.
    Plus I think he is going to have a stellar NBA career if he can stay healthy.

Jon's been my favorite since I first heard of his 21 points in 52 seconds in the spring of 2006. I remember telling my father, here comes another J.J. (and he telling me that I shouldn't make such comparisons before a kid sets foot on campus). That didn't turn out to be, but we got, I'd argue, something better. The greatest play-maker Duke's had since Chris Duhon. And a championship. Number four to be precise.

Andre is my new favorite. All Day Dre, baby. It is going to be a beautiful thing.

I loved them all but I will have to go with Zoubek. He hung in there 4 tough injury plagued years and was finally rewarded for his perseverance. It was great to see him contribute, which makes one think of what might have been for him if he wouldn't have had all those injuries.

I guess I have to go with Jon. He and his family are class acts. Have had the pleasure of talking with his dad and he was great. I also like that Jon's a crafty, smart player...something old school about him.
    Close second is Nolan Smith. I actually think the combo of Jon and Nolan might be my favorite guard tandem ever. They played so well together and the personalities and friendship they displayed were really entertaining and added a lot of depth. Nolan seems like he's hilarious.
    But, this is really impossible. I hate picking favorites. The '09-'10 team was truly a classic. I liked every player a lot. There were stories of redemption, hard work, patience, persistence, poise...thankfully no injuries to overcome. I just watched the championship game again tonight on vault. Looking forward so much to the new season.

It's Kyle for me, although Scheyer is a close second. My best friend was a Scheyer fan from the very beginning.

Zoubek... he brought the inside presence that Duke had been missing for years.

Wink Tough Question

This is like asking me which grandchild is my favorite. No way I can answer that question. They are all nearly perfect.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is like asking me which grandchild is my favorite. No way I can answer that question. They are all nearly perfect.

sagegrouse
    Completely agree. That being said, I will miss watching Jon play. Jumbo and the Pomeroy Ratings got me paying particular attention to Jon way back when he was a freshman. Everyone is justifiably excited about Kyrie and I can't wait to see what he can do. I loved watching Williams and Hurley tear it up as well (though I was too young to fully appreciate Hurley). However, Jon is perhaps the most unique player we will ever see suit up for Duke. The way we structured the offense for Jon and the rest of our personnel was ruthlessly effective. It didn't have the transition dunks or the fast break ally-oops that most people believe are necessary to have a good offense, but the offense that Jon ran was a thing of beauty. I will definitely miss watching him play next season.

Scheyer for me, too. More of a Robin on previous squads, I thought he came through in the clutch this year as Batman, meeting and exceeding expectations, and, of course, leading us to a NT. Not to diminish everyone else's contributions, but for my money, Jon was the man, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    Zoubek. Without him we wouldn't have won the National Title, and maybe not even the ACC title. I'll just leave it at that.
    Plus I think he is going to have a stellar NBA career if he can stay healthy.
    It really bothers me when people say we wouldn't have won the title without player x. We wouldn't have won the title without any of the guys, all the way from Jon, Kyle, and Nolan to the Plumlees.

I won't touch the "stellar" career for Brian in the League statement except to share the dictionary definition of the word:

"Indicating the most important performer or role; of or relating to a star performer; exceptionally good."

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    It really bothers me when people say we wouldn't have won the title without player x. We wouldn't have won the title without any of the guys, all the way from Jon, Kyle, and Nolan to the Plumlees.
    no LT?

Knolon Schmingler

Tough question

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    I agree with you here. I would add that the longer I get to follow a player playing for Duke, the more I tend to like them, so the seniors may have been the ones I wanted to succeed most last year, and am looking forward to great senior years from Nolan and Kyle this year (and great years from everyone else on the roster as well).
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

It is almost like picking your favorite child, which is impossible (at least in my case!)

If forced, I would have to say Nolan. Simply because of his personality. That kid cracks me up. He has an almost infectious smile, and seems so laid back and has a tremendous sense of humor. BUT, I could also say similar things about each and every player.

Singler because he is a BEAST. I love the way he gest up after a hard foul. Dude is TOUGH, and I would love for all the kids to pattern his toughness.

Jon because, well because he was just awesome and probably was the player that made the most of his talent since Wojo.

Zoubs because of how he transformed himself and without him, we don't win the Natty (sorry Big Papa, but Zoubs deserves a special shout out IMO).

Andre Dawkins because he overcame so much, and just looked like he loved being on the court.

LT because he did what he had to do to be an impact player. Loved the leadership!

After some pause between the 2010 National Championship and now ... wow ... so nice to think about it ... I assumed answering this question I would say Nolan. Which, he's more than worthy. But, then my mind goes back to that big tall, affable, Paul-Bunyan-bearded pillar of a young man, who, every time he stepped on the floor in the tourney, he looked like he could take on the entire world with one arm tied behind his back. This despite a few early career injuries and flying a little below the press' radar then going on to dominate both the offensive and defensive glass and lead Duke to an astonishing title run...

The one, the only -- BRIAN ZOUBEK.

Here's to Zoubs and to him doing his magical board work at the Nets.