Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think he has a reasonably good chance to make the roster. However, I think it will be hard for him to make the rotation. The 8th/9th guy would be the 4th guard. If Miami signs Mike Miller, then Scheyer becomes the fifth guard. That immediately pushes him to the extreme end of the rotation. That's not an attack on his basketball savvy/ability. That's just a reality of where the Heat are with players. He wouldn't bump Miller as a shooter, and he wouldn't bump Chalmers as a defender off the bench.

Now, if Miami does not acquire Miller (or another veteran sharpshooter), then Scheyer's chances of regular playing time would go up a good bit. But I don't see a scenario where they don't add another veteran shooter.
    I agree with the others that say Miller to Miami is a long shot. He is going to be able to get more money elsewhere. With the lockout coming, I don't see these people taking pay cuts to play for Miami. I could be wrong. And when you say Miller could be a potential "4th guard", who are the other 3. Are we counting Lebron as a guard?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I agree with the others that say Miller to Miami is a long shot. He is going to be able to get more money elsewhere. With the lockout coming, I don't see these people taking pay cuts to play for Miami. I could be wrong. And when you say Miller could be a potential "4th guard", who are the other 3. Are we counting Lebron as a guard?
    Looks like they made it happen. They are slowly running out of cash unless the big three start taking less on the front end.

I'm telling you, Mike Miller to Miami is, in all likelihood, going to happen.

It appears that Miller will in fact sign with the Heat. And the plan is to play James at the point, like Magic. That puts Miller as the SF and shooter, and Chalmers as the backup guard for defense and more shooting. That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.
    No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway. Look at these guys who were drafted, and see what kind of minutes they got their rookie years.
    • JJ Redick---squat
    • Shelden Williams--squat
    • Josh McRoberts--squat
    • Gerald Henderson--squat
    Now Williams is still pretty much getting squat, but you can't say the same about Redick and McRoberts. I'm sure it was frustrating for them, but they've both developed into respectable NBA players. Time will only tell for G, but he was pretty impressive in his Summer League games. I can easily imagine the same future for Scheyer, a guy who we won't see much of next year but that has the chance to make the most out of a great opportunity. McBobs was even sent to the D-League...twice! I think that would be a good chance for Scheyer as well. The D-League is a great place for a bench warmer to actually play a lot of minutes, and get valuable experience.
    Of course, Jon has to make the roster first, but I think given the Heat's money sitution it bodes well in his favor.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway. Look at these guys who were drafted, and see what kind of minutes they got their rookie years.
    • JJ Redick---squat
    • Josh McRoberts--squat
    Now Williams is still pretty much getting squat, but you can't say the same about Redick and McRoberts. I'm sure it was frustrating for them, but they've both developed into respectable NBA players. Time will only tell for G, but he was pretty impressive in his Summer League games. I can easily imagine the same future for Scheyer, a guy who we won't see much of next year but that has the chance to make the most out of a great opportunity. McBobs was even sent to the D-League...twice! I think that would be a good chance for Scheyer as well. The D-League is a great place for a bench warmer to actually play a lot of minutes, and get valuable experience.
    Of course, Jon has to make the roster first, but I think given the Heat's money sitution it bodes well in his favor.
    I think you make a very good point. I wouldn't expect Jon to play much anywhere in the NBA next year. I think it would have to be considered a success if he were to sign a contract and make a roster. I think Miami presents a great opportunity for him, not for playing time, but just to make a roster. Mind you, there are tons of college stars out there looking to make a roster as well, so there is no guarantee that he does. I hope and expect he will, but I have little to no expectation that he will be much of a contributor in his first year. I certainly hope he can be a contributor this year; I just think it is unlikely.

It appears that Miller will in fact sign with the Heat. And the plan is to play James at the point, like Magic. That puts Miller as the SF and shooter, and Chalmers as the backup guard for defense and more shooting. That leaves no minutes for Scheyer.
    So who is the other big man besides Bosh? Miller, James, Wade, Bosh...I was sort of assuming the would go small and start Chalmers at "point", but just have Wade and James bring the ball up and do the ball handling. I guess I figured they were modeling this after the Olympic team, in which James was playing the 4 alot.

So who is the other big man besides Bosh? Miller, James, Wade, Bosh...I was sort of assuming the would go small and start Chalmers at "point", but just have Wade and James bring the ball up and do the ball handling. I guess I figured they were modeling this after the Olympic team, in which James was playing the 4 alot.
    While he wont start, Shav Randolph could secure a big man backup spot with the Heat if he plays well in the summer league for them!

Also pretty funny: NBA.com has summer league rosters and where the player is from (usually indicating college team) and next to Scheyer it says "unknown'! Lol, starting PG for the National Championship team...

As long as we're dreaming up silly Duke-of-the-South scenarios: Shelden is a free agent too. He's not an NBA center, but I don't think Shav is either.

No matter what team Jon might land on, you can't honestly expect him to get a lot of minutes anyway.
    Normally true, but if he should latch onto Miami, remember that they may have a lot of 30-point blowouts next season. They'll want to rest the Big Three for an expected long playoff run, so the bottom of the bench could get more playing time than on most teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    • JJ Redick---squat
    • Josh McRoberts--squat
    This is definitely true and important to remember. That being said, none of those players mentioned above could manage an offense when they got to the pros. Jon can. Jon was also a more efficient offensive player in college than any of those guys. I think it is a longshot, but Jon definitely has the potential to net some minutes off the bench to provide smart play, good shooting, and efficient management of the second string offense. He also can help spread the floor when the big three are on the court together. If Jon is given a chance, I think he could thrive as a role player on the Heat.

I'm not sure why everyone is hyping Jon's shooting so much. He was a very good (not great) shooter in college, and the NBA line is much more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is hyping Jon's shooting so much. He was a very good (not great) shooter in college, and the NBA line is much more difficult.
    Exactly. His side spin jumper is his weak spot. Scheyer's strength is his defense. He has a tremendous ability to deny his man the ball.
    Bob Green

The other big man doesn't exist yet. But they've already said they plan to play James as the PG. They'll get some able-bodied big (maybe a re-sign of Haslem) to go with Bosh. I'll be very surprised if they play James at the 4. Bosh doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting in the post, and playing James at the 4 would require that.

The other big man doesn't exist yet. But they've already said they plan to play James as the PG. They'll get some able-bodied big (maybe a re-sign of Haslem) to go with Bosh. I'll be very surprised if they play James at the 4. Bosh doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting in the post, and playing James at the 4 would require that.
    Fair enough, but if that is the way the Heat go, I think it is a mistake. If you got two playmakers like James and Wade on the floor, I want to keep the floor spread with shooters. If they do add a big to start, I would think they would want one that maybe can defend the post but still shoot jump shots (not sure if there is someone like that available in FA). If I were the coach, we would have as many shooters and we could get our hands on, and Bosh would have to suck it up and guard the post, with Lebron guarding the big who was the lesser offensive threat so he could be a help side defender at the rim.

Where did you hear about the strategy the Heat will go with... any links? Can't seem to find any...was it just on tv?

Spoelstra also went out of his way to praise undrafted Duke guard Jon Scheyer.

"We wanted him because we thought he'd be a guy that would stretch the floor," Spoelstra said. "A lot of what we do offensively is predicated on spacing and 3-point shooting really helps. He's been a pleasant surprise with other aspects of his game. He has an extremely high basketball IQ. He does a better job of putting the ball on the floor, making plays, than I anticipated."

When are people going to stop being surprised by Scheyer's "other aspects"? Those "other aspects" are what define him, not his shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Where did you hear about the strategy the Heat will go with... any links? Can't seem to find any...was it just on tv?
    I had read it somewhere in the day or so following the announcement. But now I can't find it. I will take a look for it at some point, but feel free to disregard if I can't find it quickly. Bad form of me to reference something without the link handy, and I apologize for that.