Andre Dawkins interview

Interview with Duke's Andre Dawkins posted at BDN - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/q...andre-dawkins/

Dre came in during K's press conference and I was one of four media members to participate in a Q & A with the rising soph. Catch up with the latest tidbits from AD who just returned to campus after a break at home and a week with Nolan.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Interview with Duke's Andre Dawkins posted at BDN - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/q...andre-dawkins/

Dre came in during K's press conference and I was one of four media members to participate in a Q & A with the rising soph. Catch up with the latest tidbits from AD who just returned to campus after a break at home and a week with Nolan.
    Nice interview, Mark. Thanks. Did he really look like he'd grown an inch?

Well, if he did, that would put him at 6-5, now definitely big enough to play a small "3", especially with his extra bulk for defense and rebounding. That's just where we need him; using his leaping and driving ability to get good looks and give some offensive variety. He could join David Henderson and Robert Brickey as past great 6-5 Duke quality "3" players.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Well, if he did, that would put him at 6-5, now definitely big enough to play a small "3", especially with his extra bulk for defense and rebounding. That's just where we need him; using his leaping and driving ability to get good looks and give some offensive variety. He could join David Henderson and Robert Brickey as past great 6-5 Duke quality "3" players.
    Well, if Andre's really grown (both height and girth) and Ryan is really 230+ pounds and Josh is really Lance with better offense and Seth is really a potential superstar, I think we ought to petition the NCAA to add more minutes to our games. 200 won't be enough to spread around.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nice interview, Mark. Thanks. Did he really look like he'd grown an inch?
    Not really. He did put on some muscle. Keep in mind there were four people asking questions in the interview, mainly three.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post

Thanks for this Watszone. A question for you and anyone else that would like to comment: Is he geniunely excited about being back on campus and getting ready for this upcoming season? I sensed (and I freely I admit I may be reading too much into his responses) a little bit of frustration with respect to how last season went based on his answers, especially his answer to the last question. Do you or anyone else get the feeling that he might have been really unhappy last year with regards to his playing time. I was a little surprised at his response to the last question in that he seemed to infer that at times he didn't know what the coaches wanted. I can't imagine him not being able to talk to the coaches to find out what he needed to do to play. Again, I could be completely off on my observations and feel free to call me all out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, if Andre's really grown (both height and girth) and Ryan is really 230+ pounds and Josh is really Lance with better offense and Seth is really a potential superstar, I think we ought to petition the NCAA to add more minutes to our games. 200 won't be enough to spread around.
    haha, great post!

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Thanks for this Watszone. A question for you and anyone else that would like to comment: Is he geniunely excited about being back on campus and getting ready for this upcoming season? I sensed (and I freely I admit I may be reading too much into his responses) a little bit of frustration with respect to how last season went based on his answers, especially his answer to the last question. Do you or anyone else get the feeling that he might have been really unhappy last year with regards to his playing time. I was a little surprised at his response to the last question in that he seemed to infer that at times he didn't know what the coaches wanted. I can't imagine him not being able to talk to the coaches to find out what he needed to do to play. Again, I could be completely off on my observations and feel free to call me all out on that.

All of these guys want to play and be the man. Andre was forced to grow up a year early and with his sisters untimely passing, well, it made for a difficult year. All of the guys want to get away from Duke for a bit and we should all understand the need of a break. All Duke freshman are shocked when Wojo runs them their first or second day here and learning the system is overwhelming especially when Duke is not the place you can play through multiple mistakes. This gets into kids heads and it can be stressful, but in reality it is part of the proccess and they all get some form of it. Some of it is probably intentional for buttons are being pushed for various reasons none of which are malicious in nature, just designed to get a kid over the hump. By the time they are upper classmen, in hindsight many of them see the light. Yes, he may have been a tad frustrated and I picked up a little of that too. There is no kid at Duke that does not want to play significant minutes.
    Last edited by watzone; 06-29-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: my usual typos;)

There is no kid at Duke that does not want to play significant minutes.
    No, but this is not always true of fans in advocacy of player minutes. I know of absolutely no one who wanted Marty Pocius to play.

ouch really

In case anyone tries to "run to the rescue," I was being sarcastic with the Marty comment. Marty is one of the most popular Duke players of the last half decade and if not billions then thousands wanted him playing more.

And he just got engaged too...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    In case anyone tries to "run to the rescue," I was being sarcastic with the Marty comment. Marty is one of the most popular Duke players of the last half decade and if not billions then thousands wanted him playing more.

Hi,

I saw on facebook where he just got engaged. I think he and his girlfriend where living abroad, but I'm not sure where he proposed.

Congrats Mr. & future Mrs. Pocius

Go DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    No, but this is not always true of fans in advocacy of player minutes. I know of absolutely no one who wanted Marty Pocius to play.
    I always wanted marty to play when we were in a situation where we didn't want to put the other team on the line
    1200. DDMF.