Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

FIBA Americas U-18 Championship

Anybody else going to this in San Antonio June 26-30. It should be great, Jeff Capel will be coaching, Duke recruits Austin Rivers, Quincey Miller and Amir Williams along with commit Joshua Hairston will be playing. Assistant coaches are G. Tech's Paul Hewitt and Butler's Brad Stevens.

I was at this back in 2006 when the team was loaded with Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Taylor King and Lance Thomas. Along with M. Beasley, J. Flynn, S. Hawes, S. Robinson and J. Bayless. The team played hard and crushed just about everyone with a few close moments. The greatest part was starting the USA chant along with my father and brother after the team was awarded the Gold medals... Great Time. Tickets are just $5 per day!!! See you in San Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Anybody else going to this in San Antonio June 26-30. It should be great, Jeff Capel will be coaching, Duke recruits Austin Rivers, Quincey Miller and Amir Williams along with commit Joshua Hairston will be playing. Assistant coaches are G. Tech's Paul Hewitt and Butler's Brad Stevens.

I was at this back in 2006 when the team was loaded with Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Taylor King and Lance Thomas. Along with M. Beasley, J. Flynn, S. Hawes, S. Robinson and J. Bayless. The team played hard and crushed just about everyone with a few close moments. The greatest part was starting the USA chant along with my father and brother after the team was awarded the Gold medals... Great Time. Tickets are just $5 per day!!! See you in San Antonio.
    Sounds interesting.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph..._mu18_invitees

This piece from USA Basketball indicates that 21 invitees will go to camp to compete for 12 spots before the competition in San Antonio.

Many Duke players over the years have competed in these international competitions; I know Coach K believes in them as a good tool for player development and, of course, representing your country.

Keep us posted.

Fiba tv?

Didn't want to start new thread, so chose this FIBA thread.

I assume many DBR folks will be following K and USA bball camp [Las Vegas, late July] and FIBA World Championship [Turkey, late Aug-early Sept].

But "following" may be difficult, with no American TV. As far as I can tell, the WC will be televised by "FIBA TV," undoubtedly a fine outfit, but so far I can't find an American partner.

After the great '08 Olympics stuff, it will be a shame if US audience is shut out, in terms of TV, of this next step. Anyone know if some US station is likely to pick up FIBA TV for WC?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Didn't want to start new thread, so chose this FIBA thread.

I assume many DBR folks will be following K and USA bball camp [Las Vegas, late July] and FIBA World Championship [Turkey, late Aug-early Sept].

But "following" may be difficult, with no American TV. As far as I can tell, the WC will be televised by "FIBA TV," undoubtedly a fine outfit, but so far I can't find an American partner.

After the great '08 Olympics stuff, it will be a shame if US audience is shut out, in terms of TV, of this next step. Anyone know if some US station is likely to pick up FIBA TV for WC?
    BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN will air the 2010 world championships and other major international basketball tournaments in the United States under a new contract with the sport's governing body.

The network announced its three-year deal with FIBA through 2011 on Thursday. ESPN or ESPN2 will air all U.S. national team games and the semifinal, bronze- and gold-medal games for the world championships from Turkey, along with the FIBA Americas Championship in 2009 and 2011.

The gold-medal game from the FIBA EuroBasket Championship in 2009 and 2011 will also be broadcast.

Other games will be shown on the ESPN360.com broadband channel.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=3937093

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN will air the 2010 world championships and other major international basketball tournaments in the United States under a new contract with the sport's governing body.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=3937093
    Thanks. I'm relieved. Once I followed the link, I did a little search and found this '09 story. ESPN sure isn't publicizing this yet, but I guess maybe when the team trials start in late July, ESPN will get the news out of its partial coverage [US games, semis, finals, if I read the story right].

Thanks again.

Kyrie!

Kyrie has chosen to try out for USA U18 rather than Australia, this is gonna be GOOD! See you there!

Anyone else get a security warning when trying to visit the site usabasketball.com?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Anyone else get a security warning when trying to visit the site usabasketball.com?
    I haven't gotten any security warnings but I did noticed that Gbinije will also be trying out! There is the potential of 6 future "Dukies" on the squad, Wow!
    Last edited by lilblue; 06-13-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yes. I just went there and my computer warned me to stay away. This didn't happen when I visited the site yesterday.
    Bob Green

USA U18 Roster

Congrats to Josh Hairston as he has tweeted that he made the team.

Still waiting to see if Kyrie Irving, Michael Gbinije, Austin Rivers, Quincy Miller, and Amir Williams made the roster...

Kyrie says...

kyrieirving: USA team was picked...have a great team now it's time to get to the serious work.

Technically he doesn't say whether or not he made it but I'll take the "time to get to the serious work" as an indicator he's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post

Still waiting to see if Kyrie Irving, Michael Gbinije, Austin Rivers, Quincy Miller, and Amir Williams made the roster...
    Quincy Miller made it:

Just made the USA18 and under team...time to get this gold medal!! llleeegggoooo #thunderup
    http://twitter.com/qmillertime

I don't think there should be any doubt if Kyrie made the team. He's that good.

Roster

Here is the link to the roster. Irving, Miller, Gbinije, Williams, Rivers, Hairston all there.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/men_tea...mu18toa_roster

My optimistic heart takes it as a good sign that a) Capel is coaching and b) Irving, QMiller and Austin are rooming together. Mayhaps some good Duke influences will have some sway.
    Last edited by kestrel; 06-16-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Here is the link to the roster. Irving, Miller, Gibinije, Williams, Rivers, Hairston all there.
    http://www.usabasketball.com/men_tea...mu18toa_roster
    That roster lists all 19 players who are at tryouts not the 12 actually selected to play on the team during the June 26-30 FIBA Americas Championship in San Antonio.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That roster lists all 19 players who are at tryouts not the 12 actually selected to play on the team during the June 26-30 FIBA Americas Championship in San Antonio.
    Here is the full roster: http://dukehoop.blogspot.com/2010/06...am-update.html

For a direct link: http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/16/u...eam-finalized/

Unfortunately, Michael Gbinije didn't make the team...

Zags' blog is reporting the 12 man roster.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/16/u...eam-finalized/

Michael Gbinije did not make the team, but the other guys with a Duke connection (coming to Duke or being recruited) did.

Edit: I see Airowe posted the same, but a little quicker. That's what it takes to be a good blogger.

Can we change the thread topic to USA U-18 championship?

btw, does anyone know if any of the games will be televised?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    This is a great sign. Maybe Josh will be ready to take on a bigger role than many people around here believe.