Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Murphy

Saw the link on the DBR homepage. Many schools like this kid.

Anyone have any updates on Alex Murphy? Anybody tracking his high school play?

Up to date facts

All available without paid subscriptions:

1. He definitely likes Duke (he has said this in at least 5 interviews I have read).
    2. He is very impressed with Coach K and the 2 hour meeting he had with Coach K when his scholarship was offered.
    3. He loves another top prospect (or two) we are looking at in Shabazz Muhammad and Caleb Tarczewski. Both are in his class (2012). He and Shabazz have played together and hung out a lot and get along very well. He and Caleb are on the same AAU and High School teams.
    4. He says he is not ready to commit yet and wants to visit a lot of schools to get a better feel.
    5. He is an excellent player with similarities to a few players (as he describes it): Singler, Dunleavy, and Mike Miller. His videos on youtube show him to be an outstanding leaper for his size at 6'8" and his shooting and ball-handling is also excellent for a player his size.

Speculation:
    you have to find that on your own

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post

1. He definitely likes Duke (he has said this in at least 5 interviews I have read).
    2. He is very impressed with Coach K and the 2 hour meeting he had with Coach K when his scholarship was offered.
    3. He loves another top prospect (or two) we are looking at in Shabazz Muhammad and Caleb Tarczewski. Both are in his class (2012). He and Shabazz have played together and hung out a lot and get along very well. He and Caleb are on the same AAU and High School teams.
    4. He says he is not ready to commit yet and wants to visit a lot of schools to get a better feel.
    5. He is an excellent player with similarities to a few players (as he describes it): Singler, Dunleavy, and Mike Miller. His videos on youtube show him to be an outstanding leaper for his size at 6'8" and his shooting and ball-handling is also excellent for a player his size.

Speculation:
    Great update, thanks. Its amazing what a little Googling will do.

Like most players in the 2012 class, it looks like this story won't completely unfold for a while, but its great to hear that he likes Duke.

Keep in mind that he has a brother at Florida and the Gators figure to be a significant player in his recruitment.

They would only overlap for one season, however. Of course, that also applies to Marshall and Miles Plumlee.

Murphy looks slow on film, what is strong attributes?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post

Speculation:
    Thanks for the update. I have read some pieces on that long meeting with K that can only be a positive. Haven't heard about the connection with Shabazz and Caleb, so thanks for that. Perhaps we'll have some sort of domino effect with the class of 2012.

As for speculation; I have learned one thing from the recruitments of Hawashaunbwns and John Wall. Speculation is useless. I won't jump around until I read about 'ink to paper.'

I also like what I see on some youtube highlights... and what seems more promising to me is the very positive evaluation of this guy from most of the premier programs. That doesn't happen with all 'stud' recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Keep in mind that he has a brother at Florida and the Gators figure to be a significant player in his recruitment.

They would only overlap for one season, however. Of course, that also applies to Marshall and Miles Plumlee.
    Yes, depending on how things play out with his brother this year, that may be good for Florida or for Duke. One could speculate that Erik's play last year might steer Alex our direction. That, however, is only speculation.

Murphy>>>>>>>>Kingler

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Murphy looks slow on film, what is strong attributes?
    I can remember that being the knock on Kyle when he was coming out of high school as well. If he follows on the same path as Kyle we will be just fine (FF MOP)!

FWIW...someone tweeted that Murphy is morphing into Kyle!

slow?

Murphy is not slow, what Murphy is, is, a player with many skils. He reminds me more of Robbie Hummell right now than Singler. He can shoot pass and has a killer attitude (the good kind). If we're lucky enough to get Murphy and Muhammed, we'll be in great shape for another run.

It looks like we'll be talking about Alex Murphy for a while. Maybe we should generic up the thread title a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It looks like we'll be talking about Alex Murphy for a while. Maybe we should generic up the thread title a bit.
    Yes please! When someone posted in this thread a few days ago and brought it back to the first page, I got really excited thinking maybe he had just committed.

Could be almost two years before we know anything concrete. Best grab some popcorn and settle in for this one.

I was bored at work and decided to catch up on the Duke bashing that occurs on IC. One thread talks about Alex, and how it seems Duke and UNC are going to "duke" it out for this kid (no pun intended). One dude said he thinks Alex is a lock for us and that his name should really be Shavkelly Plumbzoubsgler. I laughed my I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. off when I read that. Just thought I would share.