Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sounds like Paulus is determined...

...and the team thinks Zoobs performance is pivotal...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    ...and the team thinks Zoobs performance is pivotal...
    Pivotal... I get it. Clever.

-J

Thats not necessarily a compliment. How many turnovers under the basket did he have last year (per minute played). My memory is too many. He does need to cut down a little, but he'll get a lot more personal instruction this year, so i'm not worried about that. Now fouls are another story and thats an area where PP will be missed regardless of who was starting.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Thats not necessarily a compliment. How many turnovers under the basket did he have last year (per minute played). My memory is too many.
    I don't have any way of confirming this, but I've heard that last year Zoubek led the thousands of Division I college basketball players in turnovers per minute.

Impressive!!!!

Man can people turn a deservedly positive thread negative, in a hurry.

Well done!!!

Go Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Brian!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recognize reality, work hard and go for it. Then good things happen. Not intended as negative - just constructive criticism.

Cheers (GTHC).

GP

Well it's good that Greg is being honest now and getting medical attention, too bad that the med staff didn't restrict him for longer at the begining of last year. Maybe his foot would not have healed at any point during the year last year without surgery, and we would have certainly been worse off w/o him last year. Hopefully last year's poor D and lack of blow-by off the dribble were the result of the un-spoken-of-but-oft-assumed lingering of the foot injury. Even so, as a So. last year GP had a decent year. His shooting was excellent from 3 and he developed a realnice leaner once free in the lane with both hands. HIs ball-handling and decision-making were extremely variable, which was the frustrating part of his game. Some days both were excellent followed by a game or two where they were terrible followed by a good game, giving us the hope that he was rounding back to permanent good PG form, only to be followed by an even worse game. I hope that a year of experience, a full medical recovery/resolution of the foot injury, graduation of upper-classmen will prove good to Greg.
    I dogged him at times last year, i'll admit it, but by the end of the year i was a big fan of his shooting. Even if he doesn't up his Asst/game but only improves his Ast/TO ratio, i'll be happy with his game if his shooting stays so consistent as last year (and hopefully it'll improve 1) withe addition of 2 more outside threats 2) a one-year-more-experienced Scheyer and 3) general improvements from the rest of the team). Greg's play was alright last year, here's hoping that it'll be even better this coming year.

I don't think the decision regarding medical treatment last year was primarily on Greg's shoulders, but in any case it could hardly be considered an issue of "honesty". I presume you were in a hurry and meant something else.

I think he'll have a breakout year. It really became his team late last year when his leadership qualities began to jell. He finished strong, even though he was still somewhat physically compromised. There was a glimmer of the Duhon personna emerging and that, as you know, can be contagious. Next year may be a lot of fun, something that was missing last year, but not discussed much (at least i didn't see it).

Unlike some posters last year, I have remained a Paulus supporter. I am both happy and sad that he was injured last year. Sad because we could have done better, happy because that suggests greater performance ahead. I am very optimistic about this upcoming year.

Counterpoint

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Unlike some posters last year, I have remained a Paulus supporter. I am both happy and sad that he was injured last year. Sad because we could have done better, happy because that suggests greater performance ahead. I am very optimistic about this upcoming year.
    Just trying to temper expectations, but was Greg's foot injured his freshman year too?

I think we've got to be very measured in what we expect from Greg because, even healthy, there's a lot of evidence that he's got certain limitations that are troubling for a PG.

I'm calling it now: National player of the year baby!

Seriously though, aside from the injury, Paulus has played more minutes over his two years than is normal. He might be our best returner but I think just having the backcourt depth we're going to have next year is going to help him get a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Just trying to temper expectations, but was Greg's foot injured his freshman year too?

I think we've got to be very measured in what we expect from Greg because, even healthy, there's a lot of evidence that he's got certain limitations that are troubling for a PG.
    Not that expectations shouldn't be reasonably tempered but, yes, I believe he was playing with an injured foot during his Freshman year as well. My recollection, anyways, is that his injury last October was deemed a re-injury of something lingering from late in high school. A decision was made, hopefully based on complete information, to have him rest it until it basically got to where further playing wouldn't worsen the injury, then to play through it until the end of the season when a surgical procedure could repair the earlier high school injury.

Of course, we don't know if this will be fully successful, but Duke Orthopods have pulled off some miraculous things before (G. Hill anyone?) so I'm hopeful his foot may be feeling its best since before he began at Duke. Greg showed this year how tough he is and his ability to improve areas of his game (like shooting). If the foot heals properly, I have little doubt that Greg will be smarter, stronger and faster than we've seen before. Will that make him TJ Ford quick? Doubtful. But he'll also likely be in better aerobic shape throughout the season and he's likely to have more rest and backup support as well. Coach K has already shown that he's willing to trust Scheyer at the 1 and many seem to feel that Nolan Smith is ready to challenge Greg for PT too.

I think it's gonna be fun to watch 'em Duke it out and all make each other better. I think that another thing Greg struggled with last year on game day was that he wasn't having to practice daily against the kind of quickness he later faced. In the past, Duke has often at least had a Jay Heaps or Greg Buckner to simulate ball pressure every day and I don't believe someone fit that role last year when Greg was returning from his injury (if i'm wrong about this, i'm glad to know). Nolan Smith, who backed up and played alongside Ty Lawson during his Junior year of high school, probably will help in that regard. :0)

Go Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Buckner?

You make a valid point about Greg needing to face speed and pressure daily during practice, but I believe you meant to say Andre Buckner.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    You make a valid point about Greg needing to face speed and pressure daily during practice, but I believe you meant to say Andre Buckner.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Good catch and I absolutely meant Andre. Of course, cousin Greg would've been a good practice partner too!

BTW, Jay's been reasonably easy to follow given his other exploits. Anyone know how Andre's doing? Anything sporty going on in his life or is he just muddling through as a lowly Duke grad like the rest of us?

The ball handling/ decision making problems last year were due to the foot. To me, it was always obvious and I said it, as in repeatedly. He should not have played. I am very cautious in my expectations for next year. Very, very cautious. Brave and talented kid with a real physical problem. Surgery does not make the bones in the foot "all better." We'll see what Paulus can do with his new foot, and whether that really includes playing big time basketball. If Paulus plays and is not terrific, I'll say it now, just the break.

Paulus watched the TOC/Williams game tonight. Pocius and Shavlik Randolph sat with him.

All cards up

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    Recognize reality, work hard and go for it. Then good things happen. Not intended as negative - just constructive criticism.

Cheers (GTHC).
    Agreed. There's nothing negative about calling it like you see it and that's what I think a lot of fans did with Paulus last year. When he played bad, people made the necessary observations, but when he played well, I know I was very quick to say so. Besides the growth and glimpses we got of what Henderson can be, the most encouraging thing about this Duke team going into the offseason was that Paulus was our best player for the last 15 games of the season. He played terrific.

That being said, every college basketball player that stays 4 years has one year that is more important than the rest in terms of development; I think this coming season is undoubtedly the pivotal and critical year for Greg Paulus. If it is meant to be, he needs to take control of this team, something I admit is hard to do when, from what I gather, McRoberts was somewhat of a cancer and Paulus himself had to deal with both the injury and running a young team while being young himself.

Barring injury, I think this is the year we find out what Paulus is about. We'll find out which part of last season was a fluke; the first half where he certainly struggled, or the 2nd half, where he played brilliantly despite the broken foot. I hope and believe we'll see the 2nd half Greg Paulus and this team is going to need that.

powerful statement

i started getting the feeling towards the end of the year that JM was a somewhat negative force on team chemistry, but the word cancer never entered in my head. I'm not sure it's an inappropriate view though, chemistry is a funny thing, and once a focal point becomes "infectious" it can spread quickly.
    As to GP and the honesty issue, you're prob'ly right, it might not have been completely up to him, but they could have still been more cautious with him. He's obviously a competitive guy and would probably try to play with a broken leg and a cast if he thought he could be a positive to the team.

How bout we just lay off Paulus a little, he is the team leader and he showed that all year, esp in the 2nd half of the season. We have yet to see him play at 100%.
    Duke will be fine with Greg Paulus at the Point!

I'm with you on laying off Paulus. The kid will be fine when he is healthy.