Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Izzo to stay

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    No preeser at 4.

Izzo "in talks" with MSU. Promising for MSU.
    Not sure I'd call it promising. Stay or go, they have a lot to discuss.

I do wonder what Byron Scott is doing this afternoon, though.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It is true that NBA coaches do not have to recruit or deal with academic eligibility, but college coaches also do not have to manage a salary cap or a draft. So player evaluation is part of both jobs.
    I thought you made some good points in your post, but I have to disagree here. Unless you are Popovich or have a lot of say as coach, it is the GM's job to manage the salary cap and draft. I would say managing egos and trying to be an influence over players, who may often make more money and be easier to get rid of than the coach, are two of the larger challenges for a pro coach. Another challenge is getting players to play as a team when that may not be what they are most interested in to increase their chances for a bigger contract. I agree that it is an entirely different set of challenges from being the CEO of a college team.

Has Bill Self ever been approached by the pros? I didn't see anything when I looked around.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I thought you made some good points in your post, but I have to disagree here. Unless you are Popovich or have a lot of say as coach, it is the GM's job to manage the salary cap and draft. I would say managing egos and trying to be an influence over players, who may often make more money and be easier to get rid of than the coach, are two of the larger challenges for a pro coach. Another challenge is getting players to play as a team when that may not be what they are most interested in to increase their chances for a bigger contract. I agree that it is an entirely different set of challenges from being the CEO of a college team.
    Coaches actually play a very large role in the draft and personnel decisions...GMs dont just draft guys and say, youre stuck with him! Coaches get input on many different levels in order to implement their system...

...where it is different, is that in the NBA it is often easier to get rid of coach than to completely change up your personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    ...where it is different, is that in the NBA it is often easier to get rid of coach than to completely change up your personnel.
    Calipari being the exception with last year's purge at Lexington and reloading the roster with Memphis recruits.

From Windhorst's Twitter:

Sounds like parties are not expecting an Izzo decision today. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone.

We'll find out tomorrow: http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Tom Izzo tells Michigan State team he'll decide on #Cavs coach job on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    We'll find out tomorrow: http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

Tom Izzo tells Michigan State team he'll decide on #Cavs coach job on Saturday.
    Most NBA people and press think he goes. Most college people and press think he stays. Plain Dealer said some players think he's leaving. Draymond Green has reportedly been walking around campus saying he's staying.

I don't think anyone knows. Maybe not even Izzo.

dukemsu

I say he stays. Be shocked if he leaves.

Isn't this an easy call?

Izzo should stay and I hope he does.

No guarantee of Lebron.

The difference in money is purely short term -- he'll be fired in 3 years at Cleveland's $6 million per vs. probably have another 10-12 years at Mich St. at $3 million+ per.

His hard-nosed style is not likely to rub well in the NBA. Can you see him getting NBA players to put on the shoulder pads and football helmets like he did with the Flintstones for practice?

He's a perfect fit for college and at Michigan St.

Windhorst:

Tom Izzo has been telling people that his decison will be soon but not necessarily tomorrow. The saga continues...

Good lord man, make a decision lol

Why is there a Brett Favre thread on the main board? Do I need to move this?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Ha! Well played...

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Ha! Actually there are many Spartan types making this comparison, because while this situation is the most public since 2000, Izzo to Whereever is an annual rite of spring/summer.

Sticking with my prediction that he's gone.

dukemsu

No disrespect, but NOTHING compares to the annual freaking Favre fiasco. That will not end until someone hands Favre one of his limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    Windhorst:

Good lord man, make a decision lol
    Who knows, I wouldn't blame him for negotiating a little pay raise from MSU if he stays. This is a rare opportunity that doesn't come around very often; makes sense for him not only to take his time with the decision itself, but to get the best offers possible from both the Cavs and MSU.

it absolutely HAS to be linked to lebron staying....i mean, what's he going to do? accept the offer on a speculation that lebron is gonna come back? you think he would announce his resignation to msu, sign on with the cavs, then when lebron didn't come back...what???

go back to msu? hang out in cleveland for a couple years THEN go back to msu?

this doesn't make sense...

I have been hearing that Izzo is gone. ho hum. personally I don't care for the man after he stalled the elite 8 game against us with victory in hand...

Does the conversion of the Big Ten (12) into a Super League portend changes to the college game that make Izzo less anamored of it?

Once Super leagues get to crack their own super cable deals, can going their own way on whether athletes are paid be far away?

At a minimum, seems the "charm" of the Big Ten rivalries, the parochialism of it all, is about to go the way of the goonie bird. Playing Nebraska is not the same as playing Ohio St. or U of M. Can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Once Super leagues get to crack their own super cable deals, can going their own way on whether athletes are paid be far away?
    Slightly off topic, but I've actually been wondering about this myself. If the superconferences end up coming into existence and exercising the amount of independence from the NCAA as some people speculate, it will be up to them to decide whether or not to offer players bonuses in addition to their scholarships. The conference that does this first will obviously gain a huge advantage in terms of snagging all the top talent, so I feel like there will be enormous amounts of pressure for them to do so the moment they are able. I know it's just speculation, but the possibility of paid college athletes might not be that far off.