Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Izzo to stay

Izzo to stay

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nba/story/7743822/

didnt see it posted here so there you go

If he go, what would happen to the Michigan State team and its players?

Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    If he go, what would happen to the Michigan State team and its players?
    I imagine they'd find a way to play for their new coach.

Surprised to see Izzo considering a $6 million/year offer. I would have thought he could do better.

Tom Izzo is one of college basketball's great coaches and fine people. While I would always wish him well, would be very sorry if he opted for the NBA (and I would not be too surprised were he eventually to return to a major Division I program, presuming he departs MSU).

If he doesn't get one of Gilbert's jets, I think the deal is off

Hate to see Izzo go if he does. His players play hard, respect their coach and go to class - allot like our guys.

I think sportsCenter showed the NBA winning % of the last several college coaches to make the jump: .415 was tops. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think sportsCenter showed the NBA winning % of the last several college coaches to make the jump: .415 was tops. Ouch.
    I saw that. I was struck by Leonard Hamilton's sub 50% winning ptg as a college coach, which had me wondering why he was ever pulled into the NBA ranks in the first place (and his NBA ptg was sub 25% - mega Ouch)

Izzo is great for college basketball no doubt (2nd best coach in NCAAB right now) but id like to see a college bball coach excel in the NBA and i think he is one of the few that can do it!

funny thing is, dan gilbert, the cavs' owner, is apparently an msu alum. what the hell kind of alum tries to hire a hall of fame coach away from his school?

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    funny thing is, dan gilbert, the cavs' owner, is apparently an msu alum. what the hell kind of alum tries to hire a hall of fame coach away from his school?
    Aw geez, too easy...a desperate one trying to make a pretty pink picture for his sweetie-pie LeBron.
    Still, Izzo doesn't leave Sparty's cozy confines for this. Not buying it.
    Why pass up a spanking in Cameron for a few minutes of NBA playoff flameout?!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Surprised to see Izzo considering a $6 million/year offer. I would have thought he could do better.
    are you kidding? that would probably be one of the top five coach's salaries in the nba.
    Last edited by NovaScotian; 06-08-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    That's the question fellow MSU alumni are asking about Mr. Gilbert today.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo goes. He's always had a bit of wanderlust, and he might be thinking it's time to go and try the NBA. His coaching acumen would fit-State runs a lot of pro-style sets, but his personality probably wouldn't. He is an emotional rollercoaster during the season, and that wouldn't fit well with an 82 game schedule plus playoffs. He has ultimate command at State-not just of the basketball program, he is the face of the University. He would be no higher than 4th on the Cavs pecking order, behind LeBron, whatever FA they bring in to play with him, and Gilbert. He might be up for that though, and just being able to concentrate on coaching.

If he goes, which I think is more likely than his staying, the logical question is Who's Next? First call will probably go to Scott Skiles, but I doubt he leaves the NBA to return to State. Most likely candidate is Brian Gregory, the former Izzo assistant who has coached Dayton for 7 years and has all the contacts in the Midwest that Izzo does. He also is well regarded by the MSU community. Tom Crean isn't as well regarded, and is shoulder deep in a mess at Indiana.

He's always said he's intrigued by the NBA. I think he bites this time, and it will be an unbelievably bad day in East Lansing.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by dukemsu View Post
    That's the question fellow MSU alumni are asking about Mr. Gilbert today.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Izzo goes. He's always had a bit of wanderlust, and he might be thinking it's time to go and try the NBA. His coaching acumen would fit-State runs a lot of pro-style sets, but his personality probably wouldn't. He is an emotional rollercoaster during the season, and that wouldn't fit well with an 82 game schedule plus playoffs. He has ultimate command at State-not just of the basketball program, he is the face of the University. He would be no higher than 4th on the Cavs pecking order, behind LeBron, whatever FA they bring in to play with him, and Gilbert. He might be up for that though, and just being able to concentrate on coaching.

If he goes, which I think is more likely than his staying, the logical question is Who's Next? First call will probably go to Scott Skiles, but I doubt he leaves the NBA to return to State. Most likely candidate is Brian Gregory, the former Izzo assistant who has coached Dayton for 7 years and has all the contacts in the Midwest that Izzo does. He also is well regarded by the MSU community. Tom Crean isn't as well regarded, and is shoulder deep in a mess at Indiana.

He's always said he's intrigued by the NBA. I think he bites this time, and it will be an unbelievably bad day in East Lansing.

dukemsu

Wow! Are you serious. I can't believe he'd leave for the NBA, even if the Cavs signed the alleged king.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    alleged king.
    Have you got that right. Way overblown.

I have a couple of friends who are originally from Michigan and are huge Sparty fans. They would be devastated if Izzo leaves. I remember how nervous I felt when Coach K took an entire weekend to think about the Laker job.

In my opinion though I think that Izzo is staying, especially since Lebron's future is still in the air. One question though (and it may have already have been answered), is there any chance that Gilbert would give him the GM job as well? I know that they have a new GM, but still...

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/9/150...-tells-players

Claims that Izzo has already told his players he is gone. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/9/150...-tells-players

Claims that Izzo has already told his players he is gone. We'll see.
    If this is true, WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by muzikfrk75 View Post
    If this is true, WOW.
    Yea, I'd be surprised too. Right before a season when he's got his best chance in years to grab that second title? It seems like awkward timing. But I guess you never know. Like I said, we'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Yea, I'd be surprised too. Right before a season when he's got his best chance in years to grab that second title? It seems like awkward timing. But I guess you never know. Like I said, we'll have to wait and see.
    I agree, but when someone is talking about doubling your salary, you have to at least listen, right?