Recommendations for ATL bachelor party

This is a strange question, but I'm in the process of planning my friend's bachelor party in Atlanta and I'm looking at locations for the evening. What neighborhoods would be good for something like this? Midtown and Buckhead have been mentioned. The group will be a bunch of guys in their early to mid thirties.

Does anyone know of a good steakhouse that does private dining? I looked at Chops, but the minimum may be a bit high.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Contact EarlJam and let him plan your whole shindig. The wedding might be called off, but you will have fun.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Contact EarlJam and let him plan your whole shindig. The wedding might be called off, but you will have fun.
    Or Jason "I'll deny ever having told you about it" Evans.

It has been a while since I've lived in ATL, but it really depends on what you want. I loved the Virginia-Highlands area -- some good food and venues there -- and Midtown has a lot of variety. Not a fan of Buckhead but again it depends on what you like.

(And if one of them sends you over to the Cheshire Bridge area or down to Spring Street -- don't report back).

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    This is a strange question, but I'm in the process of planning my friend's bachelor party in Atlanta and I'm looking at locations for the evening. What neighborhoods would be good for something like this? Midtown and Buckhead have been mentioned. The group will be a bunch of guys in their early to mid thirties.

Does anyone know of a good steakhouse that does private dining? I looked at Chops, but the minimum may be a bit high.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    1. Braves game
    2. Sweetwater brewery ("Don't Float the Mainstream")
    3. Brickhouse (?) Belgian brewpub

Re: EarlJam

Not only would the wedding likely be called off, y'all might end up needing large amounts of bail money. I'm not sure I'd test those waters.

1. Limo

2. Have driver collect all phones, cameras or any other potential recording device upon entering limo.

3. Remember other patrons will have phones and access to YouTube.

Thank God my heyday was before convenient electronic recording devices. There is one recording of me at a bachelor party, but the cave painting has faded enough that it is difficult to identify me.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Braves game
    2. Sweetwater brewery ("Don't Float the Mainstream")
    3. Brickhouse (?) Belgian brewpub

Re: EarlJam

Not only would the wedding likely be called off, y'all might end up needing large amounts of bail money. I'm not sure I'd test those waters.
    Noted. I don't know EJ personally, but enjoyed his posts here back in the day. I think we have someone similar to him in the group, or at least this guy used to be.

I definitely agree that a limo is needed. The Braves are playing the Dbacks, but that idea has been vetoed already since the game's at 7pm and would use up valuable bar time. I'll check out the bars you all have mentioned. Thanks!

If you could compare Midtown to a DC neighborhood, is it more Adams Morgan or Dupont or something else? Buckhead?

Noted. I don't know EJ personally, but enjoyed his posts here back in the day. I think we have someone similar to him in the group, or at least this guy used to be.

I definitely agree that a limo is needed. The Braves are playing the Dbacks, but that idea has been vetoed already since the game's at 7pm and would use up valuable bar time. I'll check out the bars you all have mentioned. Thanks!

If you could compare Midtown to a DC neighborhood, is it more Adams Morgan or Dupont or something else? Buckhead?
    I sent you a PM with some basic info. Happy to help as much as I can.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I'll defer on that one as I don't live in Atlanta and have only visited family and attended a few meetings there and had a couple Belgian ales at the Brickhouse several years ago.

I'm a few years removed from my heyday in ATL, but from what I understand, Midtown is now the place to be. Buckhead isn't what it used to be (10-15 years ago a friend compared it to a poor man's Mardi Gras), but a good time could still be had there. I loved the VA Highlands, but it is a bit tamer - more of the Emory grad student/young professional crowd. Bones is a great steakhouse and is pretty close to the bars of Buckhead, but it is not cheap. You've also got all of the usual suspect steak chains (The Palm, Morton's, Capital Grille) and Fogo de Chao is fun though you sacrifice quality for quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm a few years removed from my heyday in ATL, but from what I understand, Midtown is now the place to be. Buckhead isn't what it used to be (10-15 years ago a friend compared it to a poor man's Mardi Gras), but a good time could still be had there. I loved the VA Highlands, but it is a bit tamer - more of the Emory grad student/young professional crowd. Bones is a great steakhouse and is pretty close to the bars of Buckhead, but it is not cheap. You've also got all of the usual suspect steak chains (The Palm, Morton's, Capital Grille) and Fogo de Chao is fun though you sacrifice quality for quantity.
    Just go to the Varisty, and save your $$$ for some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Just go to the Varisty, and save your $$$ for some fun!
    I'm still burping that last hot dog I had there sometime in the last century.icon_boo.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    I'm still burping that last hot dog I had there sometime in the last century.icon_boo.gif
    See? Memories that last a lifetime!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this! I think the plan is coming together nicely.

The current plan is to meet for a happy hour at the Tavern at Phipps, then dinner at Dantanna's then head to Midtown and see where the night takes us. I'll be getting a limo for ease and safety. And yes, no pictures, tweets, facebook posts, etc during the evening. Thanks again!