Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

John McDonnell

Along the lines of coaches of sports other than basketball, football, and baseball, this list should probably include former Arkansas Track and Field Coach John McDonnell. (I do realize that he has a chance a 3 national championships per year, but still, during the time he coached he won 42 of the 66 national championships possible).

42 NCAA Championships
    --11 Cross Country NC
    --19 Indoor Track NC
    --12 Outdoor Track NC
    5 NCAA Triple Crowns
    38 SWC Championships
    46 SEC Championships

30 time national COY
    49 time conference COY
    62 time regional COY
    devildm
    Duke '03

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Retired hockey coach. Holds the records for most career wins (1,467) and most Stanley Cups (nine, with three different teams -- Montreal (5), Pittsburgh (1) and Detroit(3)) won by a coach in the NHL.
    Thanks. If I were a hockey fan, I would be embarrassed at my ignorance.
    His record is quite impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Two words: Lawrence Phillips
    Yes because Tom Osborne is the only guy mentioned that has coached players that have a rap sheet. My bad please remove him from consideration. You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Yes because Tom Osborne is the only guy mentioned that has coached players that have a rap sheet. My bad please remove him from consideration. You're right.
    You seemed to be wondering why Tom wasn't included, despite his incredible success. I may not be right, was just offering a possible reason for why some journalists may not put him amongst the top 15 ranks of John Wooden, Pat Summit or Coach K. My guess is it was his decision to reinstate his star running back after committing a serious violent crime against a Nebraska coed / LP's girlfriend, which some feel Tom used his power to hush her up.

And to minimize LP's crimes as a "rap sheet" is laughable. Dude is now serving 31 years for assault with a deadly weapon on three high school students not to mention his lifelong resume of serious multiple domestic violence assaults which added to his sentence. Anytime a coach stakes his own professional reputation to extend special privileges to someone who turns out to be a menace to society -- it's reasonable to expect that person could take some character hits simply by association.

Other than that, Tom is perfect and should be not only Top 15 -- but Number 1, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    You seemed to be wondering why Tom wasn't included, despite his incredible success. I may not be right, was just offering a possible reason for why some journalists may not put him amongst the top 15 ranks of John Wooden, Pat Summit or Coach K. My guess is it was his decision to reinstate his star running back after committing a serious violent crime against a Nebraska coed / LP's girlfriend, which some feel Tom used his power to hush her up.

And to minimize LP's crimes as a "rap sheet" is laughable. Dude is now serving 31 years for assault with a deadly weapon on three high school students not to mention his lifelong resume of serious multiple domestic violence assaults which added to his sentence. Anytime a coach stakes his own professional reputation to extend special privileges to someone who turns out to be a menace to society -- it's reasonable to expect that person could take some character hits simply by association.

Other than that, Tom is perfect and should be not only Top 15 -- but Number 1, right?
    I am well aware of Phillip's criminal career. I was a freshmen at Nebraska in '95 when he dragged Kate McEwan down a couple flights of steps and assaulted her. I am also aware of his current jail sentence and every time I watch highlights of that '95 team it pains me to see how he just threw away his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I guess this is where someone has to mention Anson Dorrance.
    Is that the guy that got to watch Mia Hamm run around in short shorts for 4 years?

I gotta ask, why 17? Most lists are the top 5 or the best 10. If you want to stretch it out past 10 because it is such a broad topic, then go to 20. 17 just seems odd. Like they discovered who 18 was for their criteria and didn't like him so they stopped.