Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some football game times announced

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Regionally televised? How is Duke going to shock the world if only part of the country is watching?

good

These are great times for the first couple Duke football games.

The first game of the year is the 7pm game at home against Elon. This will call for some great tailgating and pre-game festivities a lot like last year.

And the game against Alabama is primetime TV. The 3:30 slot on ABC is the biggest TV slot of the week for college football and it will be very cool to see all of the excitment for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Regionally televised? How is Duke going to shock the world if only part of the country is watching?
    No worries. When Duke takes a touchdown lead into the locker room at halftime, ABC will switch the entire country over to our game to watch us finish off the Tide. It will be sweet.

Conflict

Unfortunately, the Duke-Alabama game is on Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. I was hoping they would delay it until the evening, as the holiday ends at sunset. These conflicts are inevitable but it is too bad that many Duke students and fans might have to miss the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    These are great times for the first couple Duke football games.

The first game of the year is the 7pm game at home against Elon. This will call for some great tailgating and pre-game festivities a lot like last year.

And the game against Alabama is primetime TV. The 3:30 slot on ABC is the biggest TV slot of the week for college football and it will be very cool to see all of the excitment for that game.
    Just be sure you drag your Dad and some of his famous ginger-plum pork loin to that Elon game at about 4 PM to help the the season started ;>)).

football newb

Yes, I'm a newb at this Duke football thing, so I will appreciate any tailgating tips and hints. Here is what I have so far:

season football tix
    Iron Dukes membership with football parking pass

My son will be a freshman so he is a rookie at tailgating too.

Thx in advance...

For tailgating tips and hints for a new Duke football fan ...

... come out for the "Devil Walk". It usually starts 2.5 hours before kickoff as the team gets off buses at the bus stop in front of the Chapel, then the band, mascot and team walk though campus, and walk through the parking lot in front of Card Gym (and Cameron) where the blue tailgating tents are set up. So, make your way from your parking spot over to the parade route to cheer the team as it goes by.

In the area in front of Card Gym and Cameron, Duke has tried to make it very festive. There's often a good live band playing there, a display of old Duke football memorabilia under a small tent, folks selling Chik-Fil-A sandwiches, moonbounces and Sumo-wrestler-fake-fat suits for kids to partake in.

Wallace Wade opens 1.5 hours before kickoff.

A sort of lost tradition but one seemingly sort of coming back is the shaking/dangling of car keys for kickoffs.

Learn the words to "Fight Fight Blue Devils" and "Blue and White."
    http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/history/songs.html

Buy the Duke Pep Band CD from the bookstore -- it's great to listen to when driving over to the game.
    http://www.shopdukestores.duke.edu/e...tml&design=106

In addition to the pep band, be sure to listen to Bob Harris, the voice of the Blue Devils, while tailgating.

I second the Blue Devil walk - everyone should be there for it. It's a great new tradition, and it means a lot to the team.

"My son will be a freshman so he is a rookie at tailgating too. "

The students are sleeping off their hangovers from the night before.

Sorry, I thought you knew.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate.

Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate. Please see the Blue Zone about 4 hours before kickoff if you have any doubts.

Who's ready to go bowling this year?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Unfortunately, the Duke-Alabama game is on Yom Kippur, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar. I was hoping they would delay it until the evening, as the holiday ends at sunset. These conflicts are inevitable but it is too bad that many Duke students and fans might have to miss the game.
    And yeah, second to this. Given how often we've had evening games the past two years with Cut, I would have expected otherwise, but I guess Alabama is more the controlling factor in when the game is played, and its probably not as relevant to them. Oh well. Shabbat shalom, ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate.

Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate. Please see the Blue Zone about 4 hours before kickoff if you have any doubts.

Who's ready to go bowling this year?
    30scheyer, don't bother trying to see your son on gameday, he will likely be busy at the student tailgate

I know, I know, I'm just going to try and bribe him to stop by with steak kabobs at my tailgate

Dev 11,

You haven't been on the board very long, so likely didn't understand the reference.

A few years ago, maybe Roof's last year, we had a lengthy discussion of the subject. A Duke student seriously proposed that Duke turn down noon-TV games because noon on Saturday was too early for students to attend games. It seems that they were all out drinking the night before and were still sleeping it off at noon.

You might note the use of the smiley face.

It was great fun but he/she was quite serious and had the support of a few posters. Those posters who drive 200 or so miles for home games weren't notably sympathetic.

Maybe someone can find that thread.

Cutcliffe has increased student interest and involvement but he would be the first to acknowledge that more needs to be done in this area. There's still too much room in the student section.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Jimsumner, you are incorrect. The students are up well before the adults to begin the Tailgate.
    I doubt it. The Brunchgate grills are fired up between 7 and 8am on Devil's Alley, and we have neighbors that are setting up the same time we are. (Gotta start early if you are gonna eat well!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I doubt it. The Brunchgate grills are fired up between 7 and 8am on Devil's Alley, and we have neighbors that are setting up the same time we are. (Gotta start early if you are gonna eat well!)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Just be sure you drag your Dad and some of his famous ginger-plum pork loin to that Elon game at about 4 PM to help the the season started ;>)).
    Brunchgate will be in full force again this year, and yes, we start around 7 a.m., even for the 7 p.m. games, and we continue after the games for at least an hour or two. Wolfpackdevil, you and your dad are members, aren't you? I've got Jarhead on the email list, although I haven't received his contribution yet... Jim Sumner, how come you haven't come by and joined us. 30Sheyer, please come by on Sept. 4th and introduce yourself, and then join us!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Well, Oz, you've never actually invited me.

And Devilwithabluedress puts out a pretty mean spread. So, there's competition. Just saying.

Wasn't there some (admin.) talk to re-directing the student tailgate and re-orienting it to Main West given the Devil Walk? Thought I read that somewhere a couple months ago, or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. We have just about the prettiest campus in America that is tailor-made for hanging out pre-game, where the team can walk right through all the partying students, and it's a shame to let that central casting setting go to waste.

Well, Oz, you've never actually invited me.

And Devilwithabluedress puts out a pretty mean spread. So, there's competition. Just saying.
    You can have your appetizers with Devil with a Blue Dress and then come join us for the main course/entree. We shared a few comestibles with her last year and she's welcome to join us for a beverage and a slice or brisket, tenderloin or some seafood this year, too. Jarhead and allenmurray have sipped, nibbled and chatted with us the last couple years and we even hoisted a few fine ales with Bob Green last year when he was able to attend his only game.

Thanks Ozzie for the invite; color me (Duke blue) there.

Just let me know the specs as the date approaches so I can find you guys. I can't be the early bird with you guys because I coach on Sat. mornings, but I live just an hour away and will get there pronto.