Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

K Academy Participants

I read last month that battier was attending the K Academy this weekend. Does anyone know or have any knowledge of how or if they're even remotely accessible.

I have a jersey that I've tried for a couple of years to have signed and I'm thinking about making the drive down to Durham to try again.

Plus grad some Champs gear. (So much to choose from)

If anyone has some insight on this weekend's events, I'd be most appreciative.

Here's the article from the end of April:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=204938907

I'd call the SID office and ask them how to get items signed by the participants. Be honest with them, and they will be with you.

Or, you could camp out in the WaDuke parking lot and stalk the guys...

During summer school a couple years back, I went down to Cameron to try to get pictures with some of the K Academy participants. It is somewhat frowned on to bother the coaches, etc during the event as the participants are there to coach the campers. They go into Cameron early in the AM and do not leave till late in the afternoon, often later if they play pick up. I was able to meet Coach K and take a picture with him, but he did express some hesitation, making it clear to me that the event's focus is on the participants and their families.

Just wanted to give you my experiences before you made the trek down.

Bobby Hurley! Would it be accurate to say that he's not been at very many of these before, or at least, since he retired from the NBA and got into horses?

I've seen a lot of pictures of Alarie, Bilas, Abdelnaby, Laettner, Jason Williams, and other past greats at these kind of events, but I've never noticed Hurley among them. Perhaps getting back with his brother at Wagner has rekindled his interest?

He was SO important to our program. Do we win in '91 and '92 without Bobby Hurley? Yes we had Hill (x2) and Laettner, but point guard - a rather important position, this year notwithstanding!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    A little surprised to see our man in the White House Reggie Love listed as planning to attend. Those folks I have known who worked in various White Houses chose to stick pretty close to "home," particularly if they had regular interaction with the President, and Reggie's job certainly falls into that catgegory.

Maybe Reggie and the Prez had a tourney bet that the Devils won for him!

Maybe the Prez is coming down with Reggie to hang with K and bone up on his basketball skills and pow-wow on leadership styles?

K Academy has more to celebrate this year:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...homefourthleft

Has anyone ever been to K Academy? What is the level of play like? (I am kinda asking whether it would be worthwhile for someone who plays a lot and is still young, or is it mainly older guys)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Has anyone ever been to K Academy? What is the level of play like? (I am kinda asking whether it would be worthwhile for someone who plays a lot and is still young, or is it mainly older guys)
    Have not been, but have a good friend who has; he said:

Level of play---not very good; not many good young players
    Level of fun---very high

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Level of fun---very high
    Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball. That will keep lots of young folks out of the picture. I became eligible last year but my plan is stay in shape till I'm 40 and then go dominate the competition...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball.
    Yeah, it looks like it's about extracting large sums of money for the privilege of playing basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Yeah, it looks like it's about extracting large sums of money for the privilege of playing basketball.
    Don't know the exact numbers, but a good chunk of money goes to the Duke Legacy Fund and the Emily K Center.

Level of fun---very high
    While there aren't many good young players, there are plenty of good players that aren't so young. Most all of the players played competitively at one point in their life, and there's a healthy number of D 1 and D III players on all of the teams.

For someone that's 40 years old and played at a small college somewhere and still plays regularly in competitive pickups, the games will probably be at a higher level than he sees any other time of the year.

Don't know the exact numbers, but a good chunk of money goes to the Duke Legacy Fund and the Emily K Center.
    Good to hear that. I wasn't criticizing, just a bit amused.

Cool write-up by ESPN journalist Geno W on the K camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ene&id=5265474

Cool article. Nice to see some insight in to that camp. I am not surprised in the slightest at how intense the coaches are, especially Wojo.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Well you have to be at least 35 and it's 10K a camper. It's also about more than just basketball. That will keep lots of young folks out of the picture. I became eligible last year but my plan is stay in shape till I'm 40 and then go dominate the competition...
    I don't know Dave. When I was there, one of the most fit guys was in his 60's.

For the record, I didn't score a single basket, but I was great rebounder.

Fine piece by espn writer Wojo. But D-o-o-k-i-e-s? I will NEVER understand how media types continue to screw that up.

Im 26 so I hope that when I become eligible to play, Coach K is still around. Do you think it would continue on without K? It probably would lose some of its allure, but you could still make it happen. I would make it rain, so here's to hoping the tradition continues!!