Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Chicago

Chicago still may be more attractive for LeBron/Bosh because of Deng/Rose/Noah. Also, Deng could be traded for another big or for some shooters.

Additionally, if the Bulls sign LeBron and do a sign-and-trade for Bosh (Deng?) or sign Bosh straight up, Wade could try to get there. I wonder if Rose for Wade in a sign-and-trade would be doable. It would be like the Miami possibility but with Noah on board.

This is fun to read and speculate about.

The Lakers had better add a pg or another scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Chicago still may be more attractive for LeBron/Bosh because of Deng/Rose/Noah. Also, Deng could be traded for another big or for some shooters.

Additionally, if the Bulls sign LeBron and do a sign-and-trade for Bosh (Deng?) or sign Bosh straight up, Wade could try to get there. I wonder if Rose for Wade in a sign-and-trade would be doable. It would be like the Miami possibility but with Noah on board.

This is fun to read and speculate about.

The Lakers had better add a pg or another scorer.
    The Bulls can't get all three unless those guys decide to sign for substantially less than the max. They can't even get two of them unless they can either dump salary via a trade of Deng or sign-and-trade Deng for one of those max guys. A Wade-for-Rose sign and trade wouldn't be possible in conjunction with Bosh and James, nor would it be interesting for the Bulls to consider. Rose is young, cheap, and a rising hometown star. Wade is a local kid, but he's getting older (on the back end of his peak) and very expensive. The Bulls are shooting two, but that's the most they can get.

Miami can currently sign Wade and one other max guy right now. If they could dump Beasley's salary or include him in a sign-and-trade for one of those max guys, they could get three. Miami is the only place that could possibly get all three guys unless one or more of those guys takes a huge discount on salary.

The Lakers are way over the cap, so they can't really add pieces unless they trade away equivalent salary. Their team is as it's going to be, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Bulls can't get all three unless they decide to sign for substantially less than the max. They can't even get two of them unless they can either dump salary via a trade of Deng or sign-and-trade Deng for one of those max guys.

Miami can sign Wade and one other max guy right now. If they could dump Beasley's salary or include him in a sign-and-trade for one of those max guys, they could get three. Miami is the only place that could possibly get all three guys unless one or more of those guys takes a huge discount on salary.

The Lakers are way over the cap, so they can't really add pieces unless they trade away equivalent salary. Their team is as it's going to be, most likely.
    Both Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom have been mentioned in trade rumors this week. Also, the Lakers have three rotation guys in the backcourt who are free agents - Fisher, Brown and Farmar - so they have to resign or look elsewhere. Bynum for Tony Parker? Or Odom for Turkoglu?

Espn mentioned today that LeBron/Wade/Bosh would all be willing to take less than the max to sign in Miami. No state income tax certainly helps. Splitting $42 million 3 ways is much easier that way.

There's all kinds of wildcards out there too - Chris Paul, Beasley/Deng trades, or a godfather offer from the Russian.

Espn mentioned today that LeBron/Wade/Bosh would all be willing to take less than the max to sign in Miami. No state income tax certainly helps. Splitting $42 million 3 ways is much easier that way.
    The Heat actually have $44 million in salary cap. At this point, split 3 ways, each player would have to take about 2 million less per year than the max (14.6 instead of 16.6). If the Heat can git rid of Beasly, which they are looking to do, each star would be able to make a little over $16 million each.

Both Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom have been mentioned in trade rumors this week. Also, the Lakers have three rotation guys in the backcourt who are free agents - Fisher, Brown and Farmar - so they have to resign or look elsewhere. Bynum for Tony Parker? Or Odom for Turkoglu?

There's all kinds of wildcards out there too - Chris Paul, Beasley/Deng trades, or a godfather offer from the Russian.
    The problem is that the Lakers are already committed to over $60 million for just Bryant, Gasol, Vujacic, Artest, and Walton (over $80 million with Bynum and Odom). So they can't take on any salary in a trade. They could trade Odom and/or Bynum for a guard at similar price, but that potentially just reallocates their depth issues from backcourt to frontcourt. That might still work out for them in net, but there isn't a way for them to unilaterally improve this offseason.

Miami is the only possible place that could get all three. It's possible that they could agree to take a pay cut. That's a very reasonable possibility. I'll be disappointed if it works out that way. As a Bulls fan, I was very much hoping for at least one of the big three to come to the Bulls. I fear that we'll wind up with Boozer and Joe Johnson instead. Not that those guys are bad (they're probably #4 and #5 on the free agent list), but it's a little less exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    The Heat actually have $44 million in salary cap. At this point, split 3 ways, each player would have to take about 2 million less per year than the max (14.6 instead of 16.6). If the Heat can git rid of Beasly, which they are looking to do, each star would be able to make a little over $16 million each.
    @chadfordinsider Miami has $43.7 million to sign free agents. Need $49.5 million to sign Wade, Bosh and & Bron to max. Losing Beasley ($4.9) gets them close about an hour ago

Also I think trading Beasley for shooter is a better deal than tossing him for cap space if you do sign all 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The problem is that the Lakers are already committed to over $60 million for just Bryant, Gasol, Vujacic, Artest, and Walton (over $80 million with Bynum and Odom). So they can't take on any salary in a trade. They could trade Odom and/or Bynum for a guard at similar price, but that potentially just reallocates their depth issues from backcourt to frontcourt. That might still work out for them in net, but there isn't a way for them to unilaterally improve this offseason.

Miami is the only possible place that could get all three. It's possible that they could agree to take a pay cut. That's a very reasonable possibility. I'll be disappointed if it works out that way. As a Bulls fan, I was very much hoping for at least one of the big three to come to the Bulls. I fear that we'll wind up with Boozer and Joe Johnson instead. Not that those guys are bad (they're probably #4 and #5 on the free agent list), but it's a little less exciting.
    If the Bulls miss on all of Wade/Lebron/Bosh then Joe Johnson could be a good pickup because he would fit alongside Rose pretty well. Then I'd look at David Lee ($10 million or so) before Boozer/Stoudamire (seeking max) because you would have a cheaper and better defensive front line.

I would avoid Boozer and Stoudamire altogether to be honest. Too many injuries; too many chemistry questions.

Regardless, even if the Bulls dont hit a grand slam this summer they have the pieces to make the leap with an additional scorer at either the 2 or 4 spot. You should feel good about where you are and where you can get to in 1-2 years.

If the Bulls miss on all of Wade/Lebron/Bosh then Joe Johnson could be a good pickup because he would fit alongside Rose pretty well. Then I'd look at David Lee ($10 million or so) before Boozer/Stoudamire (seeking max) because you would have a cheaper and better defensive front line.

I would avoid Boozer and Stoudamire altogether to be honest. Too many injuries; too many chemistry questions.

Regardless, even if the Bulls dont hit a grand slam this summer they have the pieces to make the leap with an additional scorer at either the 2 or 4 spot. You should feel good about where you are and where you can get to in 1-2 years.
    Yeah, I agree that Lee would be the best option after Bosh among the big men. I'm just worried that if the Bulls don't land one of the "big three", they'll panic and sign either Boozer or Stoudamire. My prediction is less of what I think is the best Plan B/C the Bulls could have and more a prediction of what Plan B/C will be.

Johnson is arguably a better fit with Rose than James or Wade (definitely a better fit than Wade) with Rose because he's a better shooter and doesn't need to dominate possessions. I'd still rather have James though, as James is a much better all-around player. And I fear Johnson is a very good player who is about to be paid like a top guy (I don't buy the 4 years, $60 million rumors).

A team of Noah/Lee/Deng/Johnson/Rose would be very good. It's just that after envisioning Noah/Bosh/James/Somebody/Rose, it pales a bit. And it especially pales if Miami does land all three of the big three. Though who knows? Maybe that Bulls team would be deep enough and defensive-minded enough to beat that Miami team.

I wonder how Miami would actually do if they got all 3. The rest of their lineup would basically be scraps, no? Are those 3 enough?

It seems like Chicago would be a much more attractive place to go play with Rose already there and not making max money.

As a Knicks fan this was always what I thought would be the flaw in their plan. By trading away basically every draft pick they had (and blowing the few they did have) they put themselves in a position where they can't offer Lebron a competitive team to come to.

I think this will end up in disaster for the Knicks. I'd much rather they re-sign David Lee but it seems like they'd rather give max money to Amare. If the Knicks come out of this all giving ridiculous contracts to Amare and Joe Johnson then they will end up in the same place they've been in for the last decade. Trying to compete by taking on bad contracts no one else wants and then eventually deciding to blow the whole thing up. They should have kept their draft picks and rode out the bad contracts. They have to be kicking themselves for not taking Brandon Jennings when they had a chance... then maybe they'd have something to offer to potential free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I wonder how Miami would actually do if they got all 3. The rest of their lineup would basically be scraps, no? Are those 3 enough?

It seems like Chicago would be a much more attractive place to go play with Rose already there and not making max money.

As a Knicks fan this was always what I thought would be the flaw in their plan. By trading away basically every draft pick they had (and blowing the few they did have) they put themselves in a position where they can't offer Lebron a competitive team to come to.

I think this will end up in disaster for the Knicks. I'd much rather they re-sign David Lee but it seems like they'd rather give max money to Amare. If the Knicks come out of this all giving ridiculous contracts to Amare and Joe Johnson then they will end up in the same place they've been in for the last decade. Trying to compete by taking on bad contracts no one else wants and then eventually deciding to blow the whole thing up. They should have kept their draft picks and rode out the bad contracts. They have to be kicking themselves for not taking Brandon Jennings when they had a chance... then maybe they'd have something to offer to potential free agents.
    Yeah, the big advantage that Chicago has is that they have Rose and Noah at relatively low prices, and either Deng or the cap space to have two top free agents. Miami has cap space for two guys (like New York), but they also have beaches and no income tax. And they likely have Wade, so they already will have a star in hand with room for one more max guy (or two if those guys really take a discount). So unfortunately for New York, I do think they are third in the pecking order. And they could end up fourth, if teams are excited by New Jersey.

As a Bulls fan, I have somewhat similar worries. There is a part of me that is concerned that somehow the Bulls will end up being the odd man out on the big three, and wind up with good but overpaid second-tier stars instead. That team will probably be among the elite of the East, but it'll still be disappointing. But at least we have Rose and Noah to start with.

Could a Rose and Deng package in a sign-and-trade for Wade work? Seems far-fecthed but the $'s cant be too far off for salray cap purposes.

Also, I think Ray Allen should sit back and see what happens. Then he could be the missing piece in nearly any major scenario and win a few titles.

Could a Rose and Deng package in a sign-and-trade for Wade work? Seems far-fecthed but the $'s cant be too far off for salray cap purposes.

Also, I think Ray Allen should sit back and see what happens. Then he could be the missing piece in nearly any major scenario and win a few titles.
    Technically Chicago could do any number of sign-and-trades. They are under the cap, so they can take back salary in return. But Chicago wouldn't want to trade Rose and Deng for Wade. They would rather have Rose (who is becoming a superstar and is younger and cheaper than Wade) and Deng (who could be involved in a different sign and trade or remain on board as a very productive third option). And that sign-and-trade wouldn't get Chicago much closer to signing three top players. That'd just leave another gaping hole at PG.

Basically, Chicago will try to make a different trade (likely involving Deng) to add a second top-tier guy. They aren't going to want to trade Noah or Rose, because those guys are cheap and really productive. Trading Deng in a sign-and-trade for a top star would allow Chicago to get two stars while keeping Rose and Noah intact, and leaving enough salary cap space to fill in the roster with guys who aren't completely awful.

And yes, Allen is in a very interesting position. If he's willing to take a substantial pay cut, he could go wherever James goes and be a floor-spacer.

If I had my druthers (as a Bulls fan), I would love a sign-and-trade of Deng for Bosh, signing James, and signing Allen (or some other fairly cheap SG who can bomb 3s). That'd give a lineup of Rose/Allen/James/Bosh/Noah. That's an unbelievably strong and balanced starting 5. Of course, the odds of that are slim I'm sure.

Nets traded Yi Jianlian to the Wiz for Quinton Ross

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5340026

It clears $3 million of cap space for the Nets.

Thursday at 1201am = very very interesting.

Just watched the NBA Free Agency Summit with Kornheiser/Wilbon/Simmons/LeBatard. It was a lot of people talking over top of one another, but they threw the idea out there of Redick going into free agency.

I guess I always thought JJ planned to re-sign with Orlando, because he likes it, has made the rotation and they are very close to winning a title.

But he could be a good option for a team that signs 1-2 guys and has some cap space left. He and Ray Allen ought to be highly sought after.

Also, is there any chance Dirk checks out Miami or Chicago if Cuban cannot attract another top tier free agent? Dirk ought to wait a little bit to see what happens.

Paul Pierce will opt out of his contract making him a free agent:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba...ory?id=5341636

It looks like the Knicks may not want LeBron as bad as is perceived:

"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source (with knowledge of the Knicks organization) said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?y...=36320&vkey=18

As a Bulls fan as well, the talk with the Heat is very dissapointing. What really annoys me about this is Chris Bosh. Why doesn't this guy do his own thing? I feel like he is just following LeBron around and doing what he does. Are you afraid you can't win unless you're paired with the best player in the NBA?

You know who I haven't heard mentioned is Rudy Gay. I feel like he is one of the forgotten this year, but I really like him. Honestly, if I were the Bulls, I would go after Gay before Johnson because he is younger and more versatile and may not cost as much. I am not giving up home on James and Bosh though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    It looks like the Knicks may not want LeBron as bad as is perceived:

"Yes, we think he's a better player," the source (with knowledge of the Knicks organization) said of Johnson. "He makes other people better. With LeBron's people running the locker room that hurts the organization."

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?y...=36320&vkey=18
    I'm a Knicks fan and this just sounds like they feel they aren't winning the James sweepstakes and are looking to up their sweet talk on Johnson. They haven't dumped salary and looked to James free agent summer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    I'm a Knicks fan and this just sounds like they feel they aren't winning the James sweepstakes and are looking to up their sweet talk on Johnson. They haven't dumped salary and looked to James free agent summer for nothing.
    Yeah, that whole business screams CYA. Also, aside from maybe (and I do mean maybe) Joe Johnson and his immediate family, I'm not sure there's anyone who legitimately believes he's a better basketball player than LeBron.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    As a Bulls fan as well, the talk with the Heat is very dissapointing. What really annoys me about this is Chris Bosh. Why doesn't this guy do his own thing? I feel like he is just following LeBron around and doing what he does. Are you afraid you can't win unless you're paired with the best player in the NBA?

You know who I haven't heard mentioned is Rudy Gay. I feel like he is one of the forgotten this year, but I really like him. Honestly, if I were the Bulls, I would go after Gay before Johnson because he is younger and more versatile and may not cost as much. I am not giving up home on James and Bosh though.
    Bosh has been doing his own thing in Toronto the past few years. That has gotten him nowhere so I think he's wise to pursue Lebron/Wade now as opposed to how Karl Malone did it when he was too old to make things happen anymore.

As for Rudy Gay, most people do not consider him a max player but he will likely get max or close to it by a team that has to over-pay to get people to come (Clippers). This should be called the "Rashard Lewis Scenario." He could be a building block in DC, but DC is not ideal until Arenas is shipped out.