Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Ummmm, yawn. Unless 'Melo (unlikely) or Duncan (extremely unlikely) or Yao (extremely unlikely) decide to change teams, there just aren't many guys there who can be the "difference maker" for a potential championship team.
    I submit that Shane would be a "difference maker" on a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I happened across this list on ESPN of guys who will be free agents in 2011... uuughh! What a lousy class. Is anyone gonna bother to clear cap space to bid on these guys? Here are the best names on the list... not many guys who can really change your squad in a big way--

Jamal Crawford
    Kendrick Perkins
    Caron Butler
    Tyson Chandler
    Carmelo Anthony
    Kenyon Martin
    Tayshaun Prince
    Shane Battier
    Yao Ming
    Mike Dunleavy Jr
    Troy Murphy
    Zach Randolph
    Michael Redd
    David West
    Grant Hill
    Jason Richardson
    Tim Duncan
    Tony Parker

Ummmm, yawn. Unless 'Melo (unlikely) or Duncan (extremely unlikely) or Yao (extremely unlikely) decide to change teams, there just aren't many guys there who can be the "difference maker" for a potential championship team.

--Jason "of course, the lockout is going to mute any player movement anyway" Evans

I don't think that 2011 is that lousy of a class, it's just that we just finished the biggest and best free agency class ever so everything else won't compare. If Melo signs the 3 year extension though the class of 2011 becomes a lot weaker.

Apologize if this has been posted:

http://www.nba.com/video/teams/magic...ermov-1376365/

Redick's press conference. Talks briefly about reuniting with Duhon, about his thoughts during free agency, the Heat trio, and of course, his future rap album

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Awesome. Love the pic of him in a Duke uni, although I guess that shows exactly how much he's done in the league.

Looks like Stephon Marbury could headed to the Heat:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...bron_jame.html

Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Looks like Stephon Marbury could headed to the Heat:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...bron_jame.html
    Marbury already said that story was bogus. He said that the Heat contacted him before the Big Three signed and that they would get back to him later. This was reported on ESPN.

CBA stuff

I enjoyed this from Chad Ford's chat today -

Dan (DC)

So Grunfeld gives an extension to Jamison and trades him that season. Gives an extension to Gilbert and trades him as soon as he can. And now gives an extension to Blatche and is looking to move him. He's lost it, right?

Chad Ford (1:34 PM)

It's looking that way. But he's not alone. I think it's one of the big reasons the NBA owners are going to be fighting so hard for a new CBA. A number of GMs and owners in the league are no match for the highly skilled agents they are negotiating against. They make so many non-sensical decisions with contracts that they immediately regret. Either NBA owners starting hiring GMs with more management, negotiation and problem solving skills or they the new CBA become basically idiot proof. Stern is opting for the latter I believe.

Wow that's an awesome quote. Basically, our guys are wayyyy to dumb to do their jobs properly. How can this be?

There are what, 30 NBA teams? So 30 GM positions? I mean talk about supply and demand, you would think those would be highly coveted positions for only the best and brightest and yet they are "no match" for the agents? Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Wow that's an awesome quote. Basically, our guys are wayyyy to dumb to do their jobs properly. How can this be?

There are what, 30 NBA teams? So 30 GM positions? I mean talk about supply and demand, you would think those would be highly coveted positions for only the best and brightest and yet they are "no match" for the agents? Jesus.
    Well, look at this way: Agents make 10% of an athletes salary. Sky is the limit, right?

But GMs make a set salary. I dont know what a really good one, or even a bad one, would make, but coach's make $2-5 million. So I'd guess a GM makes $250k to $1 million.

So if you think you can eat the other guy's lunch consistently, do you want to do it for a chance at a ring as GM or a chance at $50 million in career earnings as an agent?

But yeah, it's sad. There's so many bad deals every summer. The same summer the salary cap shrank, Darko gets $20 million.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Well, look at this way: Agents make 10% of an athletes salary. Sky is the limit, right?

But GMs make a set salary. I dont know what a really good one, or even a bad one, would make, but coach's make $2-5 million. So I'd guess a GM makes $250k to $1 million.

So if you think you can eat the other guy's lunch consistently, do you want to do it for a chance at a ring as GM or a chance at $50 million in career earnings as an agent?

But yeah, it's sad. There's so many bad deals every summer. The same summer the salary cap shrank, Darko gets $20 million.
    You're basically saying that agents make more money, so the smarter people are going to choose to be agents and therefore agents will be smarter than the GMs they sit across the table from.

I understand your logic, but I can't agree on that premise alone. For one, a lot of GMs are former players/coaches and have already made a bunch of money. But more to the point, there are a ton of agents, but only 30 NBA GMs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would imagine the demand for those 30 jobs is very, very high and that the creme should rise to the top.

Maybe the fault goes to the owners for making bad hires, I don't know, but surely there are 15 people out there who could do a better job than half of the current GMs in the L.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Actually I believe agents get 4%, but even that = big $. A few smart ones like Grant pay big $ lawyers on an hourly basis to negotiate their new deals. A 3 yr deal around the mid-level exemption is about $15 mil, 4% is 600K. 100 hours for an attorney at $600/hr is 60K. Of course it doesn't hurt that an agent has the extra incentive of negotiating a deal that benefits him for each extra $ his client makes!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Actually I believe agents get 4%, but even that = big $. A few smart ones like Grant pay big $ lawyers on an hourly basis to negotiate their new deals. A 3 yr deal around the mid-level exemption is about $15 mil, 4% is 600K. 100 hours for an attorney at $600/hr is 60K. Of course it doesn't hurt that an agent has the extra incentive of negotiating a deal that benefits him for each extra $ his client makes!
    I am quite sure that those lawyers negotiating on behalf of those players have all the incentive they need to negotiate the best possible deal for their client. Sports law is a rather narrow fraternity and those in it know who is good and who is not.