Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

NBA Free Agency 2010

Seeing as this is a special free agent period for the NBA, I thought it would be nice to start a fresh thread to discuss the top free agents.

How do you guys see things shaking out this summer and where do you guys see the big names going: Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amar'e Stoudemire, our own Carlos Boozer, David Lee, and any others I might be missing out?

IMO
    Lebron - Cavs (hometown hero, I believe he will stick to his family and loyalty and remain a Cav)
    Wade - Heat (the heat will need another big-time free agent for him to stick around but that sprecisely what I think will happen)
    Bosh - Heat (Miami and D-Wade, enough said)
    Joe Johnson - Bulls (Chicago missing out on Lebron but will have a good backup plan in Joe)

Those are the guys I have solid opinions on.

Also, another tidbit from this summer is that Grant Hill will stick with his contract and remain a Sun for next year.

You guys' opinions?

2. Off the top of my head...

Lebron - Chicago
    Rudy Gay - Clippers
    Wade - Miami
    Bosh - Miami
    Ray Allen - Miami (somehow)?
    Dirk - Mavs

Obviously it all really in flux. I suppose my main prediction is that Chicago will be able to sign someone the first day. I think NYK and the Nyets both strike out.

I'm very interested to see how the dynamic among Lebron/Bosh/Wade. Obviously theres been talk of them all coming together but if they don't hash out a clear plan together it could be pretty frenetic. A lot of people have said Lebron is going to take his time and go through the recruiting process but I'm not sure how that will work unless everyone else is willing to wait around for him. I assume he's Chicago's first choice but if Wade or Bosh are ready to sign the first day and Lebron hasn't decided is Chicago really going to wait around and risk that Wade and Bosh go to the Heat or the Knicks themselves and possibly leave Chicago hung out if Lebron ultimately decides to stay. I guess I just don't really see Lebron being able to take his time and meet with everyone over a prolonged period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    Off the top of my head...

Lebron - Chicago
    Rudy Gay - Clippers
    Wade - Miami
    Bosh - Miami
    Ray Allen - Miami (somehow)?
    Dirk - Mavs

Obviously it all really in flux. I suppose my main prediction is that Chicago will be able to sign someone the first day. I think NYK and the Nyets both strike out.

I'm very interested to see how the dynamic among Lebron/Bosh/Wade. Obviously theres been talk of them all coming together but if they don't hash out a clear plan together it could be pretty frenetic. A lot of people have said Lebron is going to take his time and go through the recruiting process but I'm not sure how that will work unless everyone else is willing to wait around for him. I assume he's Chicago's first choice but if Wade or Bosh are ready to sign the first day and Lebron hasn't decided is Chicago really going to wait around and risk that Wade and Bosh go to the Heat or the Knicks themselves and possibly leave Chicago hung out if Lebron ultimately decides to stay. I guess I just don't really see Lebron being able to take his time and meet with everyone over a prolonged period of time.
    A clash of the egos wont allow that to happen. I could see Lebron going to Chicago also.

I think Chicago will pour all their chips onto the table for Lebron though. Also, Chitown knows that there is a small chance they pull Wade away from Miami and will be all in till the very end for Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Seeing as this is a special free agent period for the NBA, I thought it would be nice to start a fresh thread to discuss the top free agents.

Also, another tidbit from this summer is that Grant Hill will stick with his contract and remain a Sun for next year.

You guys' opinions?
    Phil Jackson. If you'e looking for an incentive to help Lebron out of Cleveland, that's it. It's possible - following next year - Phil will have coached Jordan, Kobe, and BronBron...whoaaa.

"Loyalty" in the NBA can be a catch 22. If I remember correctly, KG had a little chat with LeBron about remaining loyal a little too long. I'd be willing to bet LeBron takes that into serious consideration.

That being said, I'd love to see LeBron in Dallas with Dirk. They'd be a fun duo to watch even despite having to listen Cuban as a result of it.

The Backup Plan

Joe Johnson - Bulls (Chicago missing out on Lebron but will have a good backup plan in Joe)
    After the LeBron James decision, this is the most interesting story of the free agent period. Joe Johnson picked a terrific time to get paid. I know that he's talking with Wade and James and maybe Bosh about their plans, but seems the least likely to end up on the same team as James.

The teams that get jilted by LeBron have two choices: sign and probably overpay Joe Johnson as a consolation prize, or try their luck again in 2011 for Carmelo Anthony, when other teams will also be in play.

I think it's in Joe Johnson's best interest to wait and see what LeBron will do, unless he decides to pair with Wade or Bosh in some kind of package deal. The latter will give him less pressure, but also less money.

A fairly lengthy list of the 2010 NBA Free Agent class can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    After the LeBron James decision, this is the most interesting story of the free agent period. Joe Johnson picked a terrific time to get paid. I know that he's talking with Wade and James and maybe Bosh about their plans, but seems the least likely to end up on the same team as James.

The teams that get jilted by LeBron have two choices: sign and probably overpay Joe Johnson as a consolation prize, or try their luck again in 2011 for Carmelo Anthony, when other teams will also be in play.

I think it's in Joe Johnson's best interest to wait and see what LeBron will do, unless he decides to pair with Wade or Bosh in some kind of package deal. The latter will give him less pressure, but also less money.

A fairly lengthy list of the 2010 NBA Free Agent class can be found here.
    Thanks for the link.

If Joe Johnson was to tagteam with a big-time player, I believe it would be with Wade (and possibly Bosh or Stoudemire) in Miami. He has already made it known that he wouldn't mind that situation one bit.

I find it fascinating that the big name free agents are openly talking about how they are going to hunker down and figure out, together, where they all should go. There have always been allusions to such activity, but it is basically out in the open and being reported on. The NBA anti-tampering police must be on the edge of their seats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5235598

Lebron stays in Cleveland for multiple reasons, but the biggest one is 30 million more than any other team can give him.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Lebron stays in Cleveland for multiple reasons, but the biggest one is 30 million more than any other team can give him.
    Do the Cavs hav enough room to sign any other relatively big name free agents, because I think that could go a long way into him staying in Cleveland.

Well, sort of. He can get that 30 mill. through a sign and trade. If he makes it known to the Cavs that he's leaving no matter what, they may have incentive to do a sign and trade (thereby getting at least something in return).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Do the Cavs hav enough room to sign any other relatively big name free agents, because I think that could go a long way into him staying in Cleveland.
    No, they'll be capped out regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by sundown View Post
    No, they'll be capped out regardless.
    I think that could play a big factor in his decision.

He knows the Cavs weren't good enough to beat the Celtics and most likely the Magic. Both of those teams bring back the key pieces to their team so the Cavs doing nothing outside of Lebron this summer can be a big deterent.

He also knows that there are other teams that will probably get MUCH stronger next year whether it be Miami, Milwuakee or Chicago that will be able to consistently challenge that Cavalier team.

Very interested to hear what comes from those meetings.

13. Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Well, sort of. He can get that 30 mill. through a sign and trade. If he makes it known to the Cavs that he's leaving no matter what, they may have incentive to do a sign and trade (thereby getting at least something in return).
    True but if I were the Cavs I wouldn't want to do any kind of sign and trade unless it was just for future picks. I'd rather not take middling talent back in a sign and trade. I don't even think I would really entertain the sign and trade because 1) I don't want to give Lebron any hint or inclination that we're ready to move on 2) I wouldn't want to give him the option to get a longer contract in the hopes that even if he has told me he is 100 percent leaving he might chance his mind 3) I don't want to give him any kind of excuse (if he wants to leave the city and the franchise, he's going to have to do it and turn his back on the team and 4) the type of talent you would likely get back wouldn't be worth it - I'd rather accept that we're going to be a lot worse and start trading my other decent players for picks if possible and bottom out with the hopes of being a serious contender down the road.

If Lebron wants to leave, I'd make him leave. Not going to be remembered as contributing in any way to his leaving or leaving any doubt. If he wants to leave to go to a different team and take less in a contract, fine but I wouldn't sign and trade him even if he tells me he is leaving no matter what.

JJ wants to stay with Magic

From the Orlando Sentinel this morning:

"J.J. Redick will be a restricted free agent this offseason, and on Monday, Redick continued to say he would prefer to re-sign with the Orlando Magic.

He also indicated that his main goal isn't to go to a team where he would be a starter. In fact, Redick insisted that he would be happy to remain a bench player on a winning team.

"Winning is the most important thing to me," Redick said. "I'd rather have this role on a winning team with a great organization and a great city than anything else. So, in my book, there's no substitute for winning.""

Quote Originally Posted by BattierD12 View Post
    From the Orlando Sentinel this morning:

"J.J. Redick will be a restricted free agent this offseason, and on Monday, Redick continued to say he would prefer to re-sign with the Orlando Magic.

He also indicated that his main goal isn't to go to a team where he would be a starter. In fact, Redick insisted that he would be happy to remain a bench player on a winning team.

"Winning is the most important thing to me," Redick said. "I'd rather have this role on a winning team with a great organization and a great city than anything else. So, in my book, there's no substitute for winning.""
    I like this. Shows what type of guy JJ is. I think his role with ORL will continue to grow and will definitely be a good asset for the Magic.

Besides, I could get used to seeing JJ playing deep in the playoffs.

I like this. Shows what type of guy JJ is. I think his role with ORL will continue to grow and will definitely be a good asset for the Magic.

Besides, I could get used to seeing JJ playing deep in the playoffs.
    However, if someone throws more money at him than the Magic are willing (or able) to pay he may find it hard not to go elsewhere, and I'm sure there are other contenders that would be interested in his services. I'm not at all convinced he'll suit up for the Magic next season.

Cav's cap space

The Cavs have Ilgauskus and Shaq coming off the cap this summer, right?

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/.../nh2525405.txt

According to this article, Shaq and Ilgauskus wont be re-signed. Also, Delonte could be waived for only $500k. Also, Telfair is going to exercise his option and remain, although I dont think he's been a rotation player for the Cavs of late.

I'm wondering if the Cavs can re-sign LeBron for the max and get another star: Bosh in a sign and trade for Jamison/Hickson seems like the home run play. If the Cavs are over the cap, they get a mid-level exemption too ($6-8 million?) and could sign a veteran like Grant Hill, Shaq, Ray Allen, etc.

Anybody keeping with all this stuff!?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Cavs have Ilgauskus and Shaq coming off the cap this summer, right?

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/.../nh2525405.txt

According to this article, Shaq and Ilgauskus wont be re-signed. Also, Delonte could be waived for only $500k. Also, Telfair is going to exercise his option and remain, although I dont think he's been a rotation player for the Cavs of late.

I'm wondering if the Cavs can re-sign LeBron for the max and get another star: Bosh in a sign and trade for Jamison/Hickson seems like the home run play. If the Cavs are over the cap, they get a mid-level exemption too ($6-8 million?) and could sign a veteran like Grant Hill, Shaq, Ray Allen, etc.

Anybody keeping with all this stuff!?
    This is exactly what I thought would happen. I think the Cavs get rid of Shaq, Z, and West. Much of my opinion comes from another thread where I share some information I recieved from a friend.

Bosh would be the only "star" I see coming to play with Lebron simply because I don't think he wants to share the ball with a guy like Wade. I think the combination of 30 million more, handpicking a new coach, being able to put a cast around him that he wants around him, and his history with the city of Cleveland, keep him where he is.

It looks like there is the possibility of a few of the questions being answered on CNN on Friday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743

It looks like there is the possibility of a few of the questions being answered on CNN on Friday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5238743
    Do you think Larry King even knows who LeBron is? I bet he gets at least 3 facts wrong about James in his interview!

So, no Z, Shaq and Delonte - here's their salary breakdown:
    Shaq $21.0
    Z $0.9
    West $4.25

That's over $25.0 M freed up, but the cap will shrink and LeBron will re-sign (currently making over $15 himself).

Would Bosh have to take less than max or would the Cavs just pay the luxury tax?

I could see the Cavs getting Bosh and Ray Allen (midlevel exception).